• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First time vinyl user

reedy212

I did my first dye with Vinyl opposed to contact paper last night. The results were amazing! But I did spend a LOT of time transferring the design onto the disc.

The bond between the vinyl and the backing was stronger than the bond between my transfer paper (a sheet of contact paper) and the front of vinyl. It took a lot of extra work when peeling the backing off.

Is this normal? I got my vinyl in sheets from a smallish craft website, maybe my vinyl was old or something happened in shipping since I live in the cold.

Depending on the type of vinyl and transfer paper you use, this is pretty normal. I typically use Oracal 651 with Oracal's High Tack transfer tape. The great thing about the 651, or most all outdoor vinyl is that the adhesive is waterproof. If using outdoor vinyl you can make it release easier by spraying the back of the application tape with a spray bottle of water AFTER the vinyl has been applied to the disc. The tape's adhesive is not waterproof and this will make it release much easier from the vinyl.

I did my first dye with Vinyl opposed to contact paper last night. The results were amazing! But I did spend a LOT of time transferring the design onto the disc.

The bond between the vinyl and the backing was stronger than the bond between my transfer paper (a sheet of contact paper) and the front of vinyl. It took a lot of extra work when peeling the backing off.

Is this normal? I got my vinyl in sheets from a smallish craft website, maybe my vinyl was old or something happened in shipping since I live in the cold.

Vinyl doesn't really "stick" to the backing at all (or, very minimally at least)

The only time I have experienced issues with the vinyl clinging to the backing was because I was cutting too deep. If you cut into or through the backing, the vinyl will want to stick with the backing when you go to peel it off.

Sounds like your contact paper isn't high enough tack to pull the vinyl from the backing paper. use masking/ painters tape in a pinch. The vinyl should remove easily from the backing paper. Do you know the brand of vinyl you're using?

An update in case anyone else stumbles here.

I used blue painters tape as a transfer method and it worked perfectly.

However I'm not certain the tape was the difference. On my previous disc, the Vinyl left behind a lot of residue, this recent disc was completely clean. So I'm wondering if there was something up with that one sheet of vinyl (I bought them in sheets so no way to confirm if they came from the same roll)

However I'm not certain the tape was the difference. On my previous disc, the Vinyl left behind a lot of residue, this recent disc was completely clean. So I'm wondering if there was something up with that one sheet of vinyl (I bought them in sheets so no way to confirm if they came from the same roll)

Temperature has a lot to do with how much adhesive is left on the disc. I usually run mine under warm water before removing vinyl. Seems to help.

Peace,
-Jeff

I've never been able to figure out why sometimes there's almost no residue and sometimes there's a ton. My guess is it is a combination on vinyl type, plastic type, and what you do to the disc while the vinyl is on. So essentially, its a crapshoot.

I've never been able to figure out why sometimes there's almost no residue and sometimes there's a ton. My guess is it is a combination on vinyl type, plastic type, and what you do to the disc while the vinyl is on. So essentially, its a crapshoot.

^What he said^

Nice to know I'm not the only one! :D

I find the vinyl likes to stick to where the stamps were, quite often. Especially if they're deeper stamps, or very often, Innova, whose stamps are rarely deep but LOVE to collect the adhesive for some reason. I have a giant roll of Oracal 651 and it's consistent, but to roggen's point, most often it feels like a crapshoot. Every disc is different, despite what the manufacturers would like to say otherwise.

I've found that with Orcal 651 that if I use a heavy hand and cut too deep and get in to the backing paper I have to peel the backing off from each corner and work my way in to the center.