• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand disc spin?

Jagg

I am a backhand dominant player and i already have an above average overhand, so now its time to touch up the forehand. I was just wondering if there was a certain forearm grip that puts more spin on the disc then another or a certain technique that would help getting more spin into the disc?

It all comes down to a little trial and error. I know when I first started I was throwing forehand mostly. I was using my pointer finger in the inside of the rim and then my middle finger on the actual rim of the disc. I used to be able to crush my forehands 430ish ft. Now, since I switched to backhand, I can only reach about 350 with my forehand. I also use two fingers in the inside of the rim now to which might have something to do with it. Since I switched to the two finger grip though my forehand is far more accurate. Just try a few different things and find out what works for you. And don't start out throwing only stable to overstable discs as it will just hide bad habits in your forehand. You'll find they work better initially but in the long run it will hurt your forehand game.

Grip with a FH does take some trial and error to find what works best for you. One grip might produce more spin for you but also make it a little harder to throw on-plane. I think it's more of a balancing act between grips and throwing planes that really determines which grip is best for you. I utilize more of a control grip more than the power grip because that grip is more consistent for me. (I'm FH dominate with a controlled distance of 350', max 400'.) But, to answer your question directly, I think a power grip generates more spin than a control grip which generates more spin than a fan grip. Try them all as they all have their uses.

I also think that more focus needs to be put on the amount of wrist-travel (from open to closed) is a little more important than the grip. Most people that haven't really worked on their FH tend to throw their FH with mostly arm and little wrist-snap. This produces a lot of speed but not a whole lot of spin.

A good place to start is to work from a standstill. Try not to use a whole lot of arm movement and mostly use your forearm and wrist to generate spin on neutral, slower discs. This will ultimately get you where you want to be faster as it will help you maintain your throwing plane as well as help with wrist-roll problems that will inevitably pop up. Once you are comfortable with getting smooth, flat releases and flights, then you can start incorporating your upper body/upper arm to start generating more speed. At this point, you can also start working on weight shift. Once these things (upper body and weight shift) are working together, then you can start utilizing your lower body (run-up) to generate momentum. Working in this order will help with getting your timing right quicker than trying to do all of it at once. As with a BH, the same principals are the same with a FH. Power and distance comes from form instead of raw strength.

During casual rounds, you can work on most of these things by throwing your upshots FH. I personally feel that trying to throw off the tee FH for distance when you haven't developed your FH short game can hamper your FH development. I know it did for me and I had to re-learn how to throw FH.

I am FH dominant I use a two finger stacked grip. I believe this provides the optimum balance of control and accuracy. I also believe it allows the most flexibility in your wrist which translates to more spin. On the flip side, sometimes its harder to control the angle of release with the stacked grip.

I started with a split grip for the first few years of my DG career (also known as the peace sign grip), then after a long weekend of water skiing I could not hold onto the disc with the split grip so I was forced to use the 2 finger stacked grip for the day and it changed my game for the better.

The FH players I know that use the Avery power grip all tend to be power players. I've never found success throwing neutral drivers or mid-ranges with the power grip.

I can only throw sidearm with only my index finger under the rim, creating a pivot point with my thumb. Not sure why but having my middle finger under the rim always results flutter.

Give it the pistol grip and rip it's head off. The Chubbs of disc golf would say... It's all in the wrist. It's all in the wrist.

I began as a forehand dominate player, but I still currently throw with 3 different forehand grips. I throw split finger for putters and mids, pistol grip/ stacked for mids and fairways and some distance drivers, and I throw power grip on distance drivers. I would say pick one grip that it most comfortable to start learning then once u have a consistent release then mess with other grips. if u don't have a particularly comfortable grip I would use the same one that u use for tomahawks
I don't think any grip will let u achieve more spin, but speed definitely. a split finger will not allow u to throw a forehand as hard/fast as a power grip and a pistol grip is between the two. that's why I switch mine up so much to change the speed I am throwing each disc.

Last edited:
Technique would be the primary thing to look at...elbow should lead the wrist like using a hammer or throwing a hammer. I use the bent finger power grip like Avery uses. That was how I naturally gripped a disc the first time I ever throw, it feels more like a fastball grip to me. I also believe I get more spin with that grip and power, and more speed typically means more spin. Having two fingers on the rim provides more leverage across the rim and also my thumb applies more pressure into the index finger giving me more control over the flight plate angle. When I use a stacked power grip or other grip I feel more slippage.

Don't try to throw hard, just try to keep your arm loose in the pull back, and put the proper snap on the disc for your line. Also, palm to the sky.

Best advice you can get for flicks.

Also, keep in mind that Big Jerm uses the middle finger pressed against the rim with the index stacked on top. He's widely considered the most accurate forehand player in the game.