• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Wobble with Wraith

Peter

Hey, so I'm relatively new to the game (~2 mo) and just picked up a 175 star Wraith. I mostly drive forehand and with the Wraith, I'm getting quite a bit more initial wobble.

With other drivers that I've thrown (Sidewinder, Monarch, Teebird, Firebird, Flick; all in similar weights) I haven't had this problem. Any suggestions?

I believe that those other discs are a bit slower which if I am not incorrect. The issue is the faster the disc the more spin you have to put on it or it wobbles. So for now you may need to work with the other discs and in time you will be able to throw something like the wraith. Also, as a new player you should check out the discraft video on throwing forehand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOECjLjhiTI

My friend used to have a bomb of a forehand but started toying the RHBH now he has lost his forehand and gets the initial wobble like your saying when he tries to throw it. Forehand has always come naturally to me i can throw around 350 forehand and 350 RHBH but everytime I try to teach him how to throw sidearm it comes out wobbly. My adivse is work on release points and grip. In my opinion, if your not smooth enough with release thats where the wobble comes into play.

Once again thats just my opinion.

I throw RHFH as well and can't throw a 175 Wraith to save my life...but a 170 Wraith is the best disc in my bag. Stick w/ the Wraith, but just go lighter.

I have been playing for two years and all my Wraiths are under 173. My two DXs are 165 and 161.

The 161 is awesome. Its nice and broken in and thrown with just a little hyzer, it flies straight as an a arrow 300ft.

Hey, so I'm relatively new to the game (~2 mo) and just picked up a 175 star Wraith. I mostly drive forehand and with the Wraith, I'm getting quite a bit more initial wobble.

With other drivers that I've thrown (Sidewinder, Monarch, Teebird, Firebird, Flick; all in similar weights) I haven't had this problem. Any suggestions?

I would put away the Wraith and pick up a Valkyrie. Put the Wraith in the closet for about 6 months till you get better, and then bring it back out. Trust me.

You're probably throwing the disc with off axis torque (OAT). This happens when you are not pulling through perfectly straight, and flicking your wrist perfectly straight. Everyone does it a little, but the more it happens the more noticeable it will be in the flight (flying with wobble, or flying with a lot more anhyzer than normal).

Thanks for the advice, I might try and trade or sell it for something a bit lighter. I went out and threw a bit more and got it a bit more under control and was getting pretty good distance out of it (~310-320 ft).

Tyler, it's funny that you mentioned the deal with your buddy getting the wobbles after messing with backhand throws. I just started working on my backhand drives more towards the beginning of the week. I think that might have thrown my forehand release off a bit.

Yea its the weirdest thing it happens to a lot of people when they try to switch throwing styles its like your mind blanks out one throw for another. Like i practiced rollers for like 2 hours then went to my local course and started playing I was throwing with the most anhyzer ever. Didn't turn out so good sine it was a wooded course.

^ that is exactly why when I field practice I work on multiple types of shots. I'm not getting the dedicated focus which would help me learn each throw faster, but its keeping me balanced.

Yea its the weirdest thing it happens to a lot of people when they try to switch throwing styles its like your mind blanks out one throw for another. Like i practiced rollers for like 2 hours then went to my local course and started playing I was throwing with the most anhyzer ever. Didn't turn out so good sine it was a wooded course.
i think thats gods way of telling you rollers are not real dg and that hes going to kill your first born if you dont stop but i could be wrong :)

i think thats gods way of telling you rollers are not real dg and that hes going to kill your first born if you dont stop but i could be wrong :)

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!? rollers are one of the best parts of the game....i use a lot of trash shots(rollers, thumbers, epic) when i play but i score better than a lot of others...why???? bc it doesnt matter how you get there, JUST GET THERE...

Latest posts