• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form check, new player looking to improve

SKEPT3K

I started playing last summer, and I've watched a lot of youtube tutorials, clinics, and reading blogs (heavydisc you rock). Right now my average drive is around 300ft. This is my first video, watching it I can see things that I'm doing wrong, but I'd like your advice on how fix my form. :thmbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HxRiijq0EQ

Last edited by a moderator:
1. You reachback too early, so you aren't winding up really or in correct sequence.
2. You aren't striding upright, both your knees are bent outside your posture.
3. Your elbow is not swinging on plane with your shoulders. You bring the elbow down and into your body, instead of keeping the elbow out/wide from the body. Bring disc through close to body, but not elbow.
4. No smash factor through the hit/followthrough.

Most the stuff in here applies:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328

Thanks for the tips SW.

Had time to go out and film some more. I figured I should work from just a stand still. I really wanted to focus on my reach back timing/full extension, my elbow position and driving the disc through my right pec.

All the shots were with putters and mids, the first two were my best reaching 290ft. The others avg 260-270ft. I feel like I'm already making some progress, all my shots were grouped well too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKzVI51bB4

Yeah, progress. You want your hand to finish closer to where it was at reachback, so it's more rotary finish 360 degree and acceleration into the finish through the hit. Your body is also moving too far forward in the finish, instead of rotary behind a braced front leg/hip.

Yeah, progress. You want your hand to finish closer to where it was at reachback, so it's more rotary finish 360 degree and acceleration into the finish through the hit. Your body is also moving too far forward in the finish, instead of rotary behind a braced front leg/hip.

Could this be caused by standing too upright? I just watched your BH standstill video and I can see exactly what you're referring too.

Could this be caused by standing too upright? I just watched your BH standstill video and I can see exactly what you're referring too.
Yes standing up during the throw out of tilt. You are changing your tilt instead of maintaining it dynamically.

Yes standing up during the throw out of tilt. You are changing your tilt instead of maintaining it dynamically.

I'm having trouble figuring out this stance with my weight braced on my front leg. Do you want to be bent over the ground as much as Shawn is @1:30?

I'm still finding myself standing up once the disc starts coming across my chest and recently my throws have been turning over. I'm pretty sure it's my posture causing this, as it even happens when im focusing on a hyzer release sometimes. After that last video I feel like I've taken two steps back :wall:

Typically yes. You may need to throw slow and understable discs until your arm speed improves. You mostly control the angle of the throw with your tilt. You can finish with some different body english or arm torque to turn a disc over more. Brinster IMO has the ideal form, he always loads into a powerful hyzer backswing(door frame drill / tug of war position) and you can always tell where his shot is going by the way he finishes.