• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Smoothing help/analysis

adventurous penguin

Par Member
Hi!

Over the last year or so, as I've been rock climbing and tackling more arm-intensive projects around the house, I think I have possibly developed some elbow tendonitis in my throwing arm. Even if it's not tendonitis, which may be the case as rest doesn't seem to improve symptoms, I have a consistent problem with pain in my elbow on release of the disc. Right around/below the funnybone, I feel a slight hyperextension of the elbow paired with a brief sharp pain. This happens as my arm fully straightens during the follow through. There are some days in which this is not the case, and my form feels smoother. When I have these smooth throws, there is no elbow pain. This has happened in between throws that caused elbow pain, and seem correlated with my "cleanest" or "smoothest" throws. I'd like to figure out what I'm doing when I am throwing smoothly vs when I get elbow pain, and train the smoothness into my muscle memory. The ultimate goal here is how to improve my biomechanics for longevity of play and mitigating injury potential.

I'm quite happy with my distance and accuracy (most days), and really would just like to be able to continue to throw at a similar level to what I can now, for decades to come. I will have to take and upload more videos/angles of my form, and try and get videos from throws that hurt as well as throws that felt smooth. To get this thread started though, I have a video of myself throwing a full power distance drive, the shot that usually hurts the most.

As an aside, this pain is never severe, but the fact that I'm having any pain at all while throwing leads me to believe that I need to clean up something in my form. Perhaps a timing issue going into follow through that hampers my ability to unload the energy from my arm, and instead causes my arm to hyperextend during follow through?

Anyways, here's that video, and thanks for any thoughts or help you offer!

You are late getting off your rear foot and pushing off your rear heel instead of instep. You can see how in the finish your shoulders haven't rotated thru as much as your arm has gone around your back and your upper body has gone over top and finished to the right of your right hip, so you aren't giving your arm much room or space to decelerate with the shoulder rotation and everything moving more together.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 6.45.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 6.45.11 PM.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts