• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Gator vs. Firebird

DJBackhand

Bogey Member
Since a gator and a firebird basically have the same flight path, is it necessary to have one of each in your bag? I know the firebird goes farther, but if if you have a gator, is that enough? Also, would it be better to start with a gator or a firebird?

Thanks

Firebird needs more power but is a better overall utility disc, whereas Gator is a better short range/approach disc. The Firebird will not go far for most people at all, likely it will fly midrange distances while the Gator will fly putter distances. But the Firebird will cut through wind because of its profile/speed, so it can handle high winds without losing as much distance as well as low ceiling power shots. It will also hit the ground faster because of this, so it is better for skip and trick/skip shots. Also because of the profile it is easier for most people to overhand, especially with power/distance in mind.

The Gator is slower so it is better at shorter ranges, when powering down a Firebird takes some experience so it doesn't fade immediately. Also the Gator will sit down better on approaches, where the Firebird can take huge skips. You just have to learn your angles and when to use them.

I feel like the Firebird is more versatile and will show you how to use this true OS utility disc. But if you want something more for OS approaches and short ranges, then look at the Gator. Also the Harp and Zone are good overstable approach discs, similar OS like the Gator but slower and shallower.

Split the difference. . . . . . Banshee!

Never liked the Gator, Firebird is a classic, but they are really far apart. One mid, one driver etc etc
I actually bag a metal flake gator, champ banshee, and 2 star firebirds haha. I use all of them most rounds.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Both overstable, doesn't mean they fly the same. Gator has less fade, skips less, and comes both beaded and beadless.

I bag a Drone (similar disc from Discraft) and Banshee and find them plenty different so yes a Gator and Firebird should have no problem being together. There's been a long debate whether overstable mids are useless or not and I'm on team No.

You would almost certainly have way more use for a Firebird than a Gator. I'd def pick up a Firebird before I'd pick up a Gator or a Harp or whatever

Since a gator and a firebird basically have the same flight path, is it necessary to have one of each in your bag? I know the firebird goes farther, but if if you have a gator, is that enough? Also, would it be better to start with a gator or a firebird?

Thanks

I ditched OS mids a while back and haven't found any reason to put one back in my bag. Get an OS putter you like to go with the FB and you're set.

I agree with a lot of the sentiments here. There should be plenty of difference between a Gator (or any other very overstable midrange) and a Firebird (or equivalent driver from another company). The Gator would overlap more with a very overstable putter or tweener disc like a Zone or Harp, and the Firebird would be more likely to overlap with an overstable distance driver unless you have a really big arm.

I throw a rhyno, gator, banshee, and firebird. You could say there is overlap but they really are all pretty different discs. On the other end of the spectrum i carry a wedge, leopard and sidewinder. I use all of them depending on the shot. If I had to I could just carry darts, rocs, eagles, and desroyers. But let's be real I carry all of the discs I have mentioned and I use them all.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I ditched OS mids a while back and haven't found any reason to put one back in my bag. Get an OS putter you like to go with the FB and you're set.

What if it's further distance, making the throw from a os Putter either less stable or not reachable? I'm all for trimming the fat. But an os mid comes in handy. Can you get by without one, probably. Does it help to have one, probably.

I can definitley see a case to be made for bagging a gator and firebird.

One benefit of the Gator is that it's an underrated putter when the wind is beating your face.

Otherwise, the previous replies in this thread are correct and good. And those Banshee recommendations are worth listening to.

I bag both but don't use the Gator a lot.

It sure comes in handy when I need it though.

It's true that a Firebird can do Gator stuff, but sometimes it's just too much disc and you have to account for the possible skips.

Plenty of people have weighed in, I think the consensus is that they are plenty different to be able to bag both. I think it would be easy to skip the gator and go with something like a Zone or Harp and keep the FB.

Plenty of people have weighed in, I think the consensus is that they are plenty different to be able to bag both. I think it would be easy to skip the gator and go with something like a Zone or Harp and keep the FB.

Yup. Zones and Harps aren't really putters. They definitely creep on mids. One of those and a Firebird are all the OS you need.

I carry Rocs, and sometimes they're pretty OS. Especially Champ Ranchos. But I don't carry a true OS mid anymore. I carry Harps (which can be powered up to go far without flipping) and 1-2 Firebirds.

Yup. Zones and Harps aren't really putters. They definitely creep on mids. One of those and a Firebird are all the OS you need.

I carry Rocs, and sometimes they're pretty OS. Especially Champ Ranchos. But I don't carry a true OS mid anymore. I carry Harps (which can be powered up to go far without flipping) and 1-2 Firebirds.

True - I streamlined my mids to include a Verdict for forehand and any overstable mid shot I could need, and an ESP Zone for situations where any extra speed or glide could get me in trouble. Previously I was throwing a buzz OS but I feel like the two above-mentioned discs get me the best of both worlds of a truly OS mid.

I use the fbird far more but always carry both. The Gator is ideal for windy approaches and windy putts fh or bh while the fbird is a wonderful spike hyzer/tomahawk/fairway driver for both windy and non windy conditions.