• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gazelle Question

phantem

Background: I throw Teebirds about 320 or so. Love them. I've thrown different plastics, DX, Star and Champ, mostly in the high 160s. I have thrown them for a while now and am increasing distance and workability as my form improves.

The other day I was at PIAS and picked up a DX Gazelle from the used bin for $3. I have read how everyone here loves them. There is no weight marked on it and condition is probably about a 9.8/10.

Question: What can I expect from this compared to my Teebirds? I figure shorter and probably more workable, correct? how about stability? Will there be quite a bit of overlap?

I don't think it will be much shorter at your power. It will be less stable, but definitely more workable. This disc should not be understable, but a little straighter at 320. Think longer roc.

I don't throw as far as you, but here's my two cents.

I learned with Gazelles and didn't get a TBird until a year later, so I prefer the Gazelle and seem to know its peculiarities better.

I can generally throw my Gazelles the same distance or a tiny bit shorter than my TBs, but with fewer muffed shots. They're more forgiving and will travel on a lot of lines the TB doesn't like. I used my Gazelles for midranges too when I first started playing DG. Its a nice disc for a one-disc or two-disc round.

I find the TBird to be good for straight shots but not great for other shots.

When I first learned I practiced in a wooded area with a lot of branches overhanging. I had to throw low, and the Gazelle worked very nicely only throwing 10-12 feet high. I can't get the same low-height performance with a TB, although a TL works very nicely thrown that low.

My Wife got 147g DX Gazelle last weekend so when we practiced on soccer field. We were picking up all the disc we threw then saw her Gazelle so decided to throw it easy to get close to my wife around 75ft. I threw it that went beautiful line and ended up hitting her ankle. Good thing, it didn't hurt her that much, lol.

I need to check it out more but would like the weight around 155-160 to see if it could go nice distance for me. It was easy to direct to where I wanted to throw. I bet it will be amazing disc to throw in lower weight to get better distance.

I find Gazelles much easier to control, especally when beat, than Teebirds. Learning to work lines is much easier with them, too. They start off on the overstable side but break in really well. I'd focus on throwing them well more than the Teebirds.

garublador said:
I find Gazelles much easier to control, especally when beat, than Teebirds. Learning to work lines is much easier with them, too. They start off on the overstable side but break in really well. I'd focus on throwing them well more than the Teebirds.

The Teebird is a Gazelle that takes a lot more power to work. I throw pretty hard, but the Teebird is a straight to hyzer disc for me. I've seen people that throw VERY hard take my Teebird and rip it on a flight path like I throw a Gazelle 400', only it goes 450'.