• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glow Dye?

saukelk

I am trying to figure out if there are any products or a technique to get the dye to glow in the dark. I would LOVE to figure out a way to make some of my non-glow dics glow by dyeing them.

Has anyone had success with this?

Glow in the dark dye is not possible. All glow in the dark items contain phosphors. A phosphor is a substance that radiates visible light after being energized. The phosphor is a SOLID that is mixed into a plastic and molded to make most glow-in-the-dark stuff. There is no way to have the plastic disc absorb a solid it has to be mixed into the plastic at the time it is molded. Sorry!

twiestedmangled is correct.
There is a minimum size they can get those crystals and it isn't small enough to be absorbed into the pores of the plastics.
Trying to grind them or crush them smaller will result in a loss of their florescent ability

Though, if you don't care about your disc being PDGA legal, there is glow paint you could use.

I wonder if a hot stamp method could work? They have glow powders and pigments, and hot stamp foils are an "acetate film carrier sprayed with a metalized oxide powder" (I don't really know what that means, but some hot stamping company had it on their site.)

If that's not what you were implying, then I don't see how your suggestion above would help at all.

Just dye it fluorescent and bring a UV light to search for it after you throw? Yeah, good luck with that. That'll work about as well as throwing a regular disc and then searching for it with a regular flashlight.

If that's not what you were implying, then I don't see how your suggestion above would help at all.

Just dye it fluorescent and bring a UV light to search for it after you throw? Yeah, good luck with that. That'll work about as well as throwing a regular disc and then searching for it with a regular flashlight.

I really dislike it when people do this at our glow weekly. They're response is, "I know where it's going." Eventually they're the ones that need help finding there disc, or are not sure if they're furthest out for the next throw. Also, most of us like to watch the flight of the disc, so LEDs are my favorite, with a dedicated "glow" bag so you don't need to re-learn their flights due to slight changes in LED positioning.

I will say that finding a fluorescent disc with a UV light is so much easier than finding a disc with a normal flashlight. This just happened at our weekly last night. They were looking through a bush for 10 minutes with a normal light and couldn't find it. Literally 2 seconds with a UV light and the disc was found.

Huh. People do that? Crazy.

I can see how it would be easier to find once you are in the vicinity. I just meant that since you can't see it at all while it's flying you are kind of screwed the first time you hit a tree and then don't hear anything afterwards.

As far as being able to watch a disc in flight, that is one reason I like glow discs BETTER than LEDs. With LEDs, there are certain angles where you cannot see the light at all due to the rim of the disc getting in the way. So you'll see it, and then it starts fading and vanishes and you have to hope you pick it up when it hits the ground.

^^^ With Star and ESP, agreed. But we're usually using translucent discs that refract some of the LEDs light through the rim. I'm doing a mix this year: Glow and clear fluorescent green, all lit up with LEDs.