• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good discs for eliminating OAT

Nimi

I'm looking for putters and mids that can be thrown straight and relatively far, but will also punish a lot for OAT.

Any recommendations?

Discraft's Comet is an OAT punisher. Also consider neutral stability putters like beadless Aviars, Aeros, XDs from Innova. That's where I'd look first.

Make sure to get an elite x comet, they are un-oat-able. As for putters, anything other than really overstable putters like the vp, rhyno, or pig would be fine. A magic is a pretty good choice.

Yeah, Comet all the way.

An honorable mention goes to the S and D-Line MD1s, which are also damned easy to flip over with a bit of OAT, despite being able to handle howling headwinds when thrown correctly.

What does oat stand for? I'm guessing it has to do with wrist rotation, but I don't know the term.
OAT means Off-axis torque, and it basically means any force you impart on the disc that isn't properly aligned with the plane of the throw. Most usually it manifests as a wobble that causes a disc to A) fly more understable than it normally does and B) slow down faster since the wobbling disc has a bigger cross-section than a disc that stays flat.

Usually it's a sign of trying to power the disc with only your arm, turning your wrist over or under during the throw or just plainly getting a wonky ejection, and is (in my experience) most often seen on forehand throws (leading to many FH throwers throwing needlessly overstable discs). It can however be done on purpose to put an overstable disc on a line it wouldn't otherwise fly on, but that's a really damn advanced technique that requires very precise disc control.

other than the comet, just go to your local pias and get the most beat driver you can find

when you can hyzer that you should be good

or just grab a comet and learn it

sorry to thread jack but if im throwing a 170 z buzzz 250-270, what weight elite x comet should i get for form work?

sorry to thread jack but if im throwing a 170 z buzzz 250-270, what weight elite x comet should i get for form work?

I'd get a heavier one, 175+. If I'm concentrating on form, it's nice to have heavier discs so you can feel the weight during the throw.

Lids and dog discs are great, Comets and Fuses are two of the best OAT fixing mids that remain useful instead of just being flippy. Skeeters, Panthers, Cobras, and Ontario Rocs are good too. Aeros are good. I would say generally any putter that isn't made by Vibram (even Summits) and that isn't super overstable (Zone, Rhyno, etc). Ions, even though they're pretty stable, are not tolerant of OAT at all b/c of the overmold I guess. One disc rounds with an Ion have done wonders for my form.

I like using a Fuse to work on OAT, it's a little less sensative than the Comet, but goes further, especially if you torque it too much.