• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip Tension

Johnnytothec

Bogey Member
I have always tried to put as much pressure on the disc with my grip as possible, starting the pressure as soon as I start my run-up through the hit. Today in a field session, I kept my arm/hand relaxed through the run-up and just tighten my grip on the pull through, and had an increase in consistency and distance. Do you think this is a placebo effect from trying something new, or is a loose arm/grip on the reach back the way to go?

I think that it's the way to go. Just like when you're throwing a punch or a kick you've got the most power/force when everything you've got is concentrated into the moment right before impact. Plus, the fluidity of your pull-through will be much better when relaxed.

Shaolintrained said:
I think that it's the way to go. Just like when you're throwing a punch or a kick you've got the most power/force when everything you've got is concentrated into the moment right before impact. Plus, the fluidity of your pull-through will be much better when relaxed.

An enthusiastic YES!!! Welcome to the hunt for wrist part of the snap.

Here on DGR we've used the terms plyometric loading(and extension), cocking the wrist(waggle back and automatic loading work, pre cocking won't at least not nearly as well) upper arm loose, somewhat tensioned forearm, late power focus, accelerating late etc. Searching with these words gives a _lot_ of info.

I have a different grip question but I am to lazy to make a new thread. I took a decent break from disc golf just because I was to busy to play and now that I came back something is going wrong. I didn't notice at first but after a few rounds of playing I noticed that my middle finger was starting to blister on my throwing hand. I use the climo grip so this does not make any sense at all as that finger shouldn't be doing anything. I am pretty sure I have been ripping off of my middle finger lately and not my index and I am not sure how that is even possible with that grip. What the hell went wrong with me?

I also use the climo grip and this happens sometimes to me as well. Try keeping everything looser in your elbow and wrist and dont grip too hard with your fingers. Grip only tight enough to stop the disc from coming out early. Also, make sure your wrist is down throughout the hit.

here's my insight...

I've gone from a tension-loaded arm and wrist when I first started, to a relaxed arm and wrist throw. The only time I grip tight is at the release point or "hit." It took me a long time (nearly 5 years) to really get this skill. But I'm at the point now where I can throw almost 325' without getting a good rip (all arm), but when I really get a good release, I'm throwing bombs just over 400'.

when I step on the tee, I start my routine by standing at the front of the tee, and practicing a few pull-throughs (just like everyone else). I try to focus on two things: the line I want to take, and increasing grip strength at my release point. It didn't take very long before this one tweak increased my distance by a good 30' or so.

the last major technique issues I have are: keep my shoulders "behind" my hips during the pull-through (meaning that I tend to rotate my upper body before my lower body resulting in throws pulled slightly to the right), and keeping my throwing arm on a straight pull through. very occassionally I will still get a shot that pops out hard, up and to the right. definitely related to the rotation issue, but also involves dropping my back left shoulder when the left and right should be on an even plane.

I've been playing less than a year, and I was throwing around 300' consistently. But I've just started to appreciate this in the last two weeks or so. I've been trying to really concentrate my power into the "hit" by accelerating late, and not gripping hard until the hit. I've also found that by keeping my grip loose early I get more wrist extension at the hit. These things have gotten me much closer to 350'+ consistently. On a good rip when everything is clicking together it'll go further.

So a big thanks to those on this board -- and Blake's articles -- for the help!

Shaolintrained said:
I knew one of the experts would translate this into DG terminology. Thanks JR

Thanks but really I'm only good enough with words at times and trying to improve in throwing (a lot needed) is still very much an uphill slow battle. So I really want to shift the term expert to more deserving persons.

Johnnytothec said:
I have always tried to put as much pressure on the disc with my grip as possible, starting the pressure as soon as I start my run-up through the hit. Today in a field session, I kept my arm/hand relaxed through the run-up and just tighten my grip on the pull through, and had an increase in consistency and distance. Do you think this is a placebo effect from trying something new, or is a loose arm/grip on the reach back the way to go?

Looser is better up to the hit. Also, keeping lots of pressure throughout the pull back and throw can make your fingers ache.

You should be going from a straight back to straight forward motion, therefore, you only need pressure on your index/thumb grip. That's where the disc will pivot away from you.

rusch_bag said:
I have a different grip question but I am to lazy to make a new thread. I took a decent break from disc golf just because I was to busy to play and now that I came back something is going wrong. I didn't notice at first but after a few rounds of playing I noticed that my middle finger was starting to blister on my throwing hand. I use the climo grip so this does not make any sense at all as that finger shouldn't be doing anything. I am pretty sure I have been ripping off of my middle finger lately and not my index and I am not sure how that is even possible with that grip. What the hell went wrong with me?

Grip tighter with your index finger/thumb. If it's weaker than your middle finger grip, then the rip will come off your middle finger.

i never understood how everyone could do this so easily. i've tried a lot and when i'm too loose before the actual pull i have trouble getting the disc in the position that i'd like to have it when i finally increase the tension. lots of accuracy problems. i guess i don't get why it's so easy for everyone. good thing i'm content with the distance i already have or this might drive me nuts.