• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Halfghan's Dye thread

halfghan

Bogey Member
I'm a complete n00b at dying discs. I started on this guy last night and finished it this morning.

Started out as a somewhat beat off-white Pro Wraith.

I printed the design onto contact paper using a laser printer. Cut by hand with an exacto, then transferred onto the disc by covering the whole thing with masking tape and applying to disc.

It's FAR from perfect, but i'm happy for my first attempt. Learned a lot and hope the next one turns out much better.

Colors used:
RIT Dyemore Graphite - mixed 50/50 with water
RIT Dyemore Red - mixed 50/50 with water
iDye Poly Yellow - mixed the whole color packet with 32oz hot water (120-130F). Didnt use the color brightener packet per advice from others.

picture.php

Definitely a great job for a first attempt, especially getting the image ALL the way to the edge of the disc without noticeable bleeds - that's not easy to do.

....but again, this is why the Dye a Day thread exists. No need for a whole new thread that will inevitably have like 4 posts and then die (pun intended).

I wanted to have a spot where I post all of my dyes so I could have a log of progression. Doesnt matter to me though. Mods please delete and I'll repost in the Dye a Day thread. ::shrugs::

It's not a big deal, just kind of a pet peeve of mine. Definitely not trying to discourage posting your dyes.

I saw first dye and expected a poor dye job. Then scrolled down to see a a sweet Snoopy with minimal bleeds. Nice work!

Thanks guys :)

Yeah, i'm not 100% sure how the red bled near his tail, but I had also had a couple beers while doing this, so...

Also learned that the red will dye over the graphite. I thought since the graphite was darker, you wouldnt be able to see the red. So basically, I should have dyed the red parts first, then the graphite.

So, I'd recommend switching off the contact paper to vinyl, but I use the same technique - to print onto the mask and then cut. Nice work for a first dye!:clap:

I agree, I'll use vinyl in the future. I have a roll of vinyl, but it's black so I cant print onto it unfortunately. I was trying to do this one on the cheap to see if it's something I wanted to keep pursuing

Thanks guys :)

Yeah, i'm not 100% sure how the red bled near his tail, but I had also had a couple beers while doing this, so...

Also learned that the red will dye over the graphite. I thought since the graphite was darker, you wouldnt be able to see the red. So basically, I should have dyed the red parts first, then the graphite.

Or maybe you just needed to go darker on the graphite.

Latest posts