• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has anyone tried shot put/discus shoes?

KHSteel

Curious if anyone has used throwing shoes to play disc golf. For those who don't know what throwing shoes are, they're specialized shoes for throwing shot put or discus that have very flat, rubber soles with very little tread. An example would be this: http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Cyber-T...LF72/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1375143157&sr=8-6

It seems like they would do well on a concrete teepad as they're designed to spin/glide on concrete as well. I just wouldn't know how they'd do on grass, dirt or other surfaces.

The positives I could see: They're lightweight and should be designed to easily pivot.

The negatives: They're clearly not waterproof so playing in the morning dew or rain would be a nightmare. That sole looks like it would last me two months of disc golf play. Tops. There is no traction on that sole either. Easy to pivot off the tee I'm sure but how about grip once you leave the tee and are throwing from grass or dirt? You need grip for that. They don't look built to last or built to walk in. They look good for shot putting though. That price tag even on the cheap side is not cheap enough. On the high side it's laughable because you can get Keens, Cushe, Merrells, or any other known brand that is decent for disc golf.

I have never tried these kind of shoes specifically, but my Merrell Trail Gloves are so worn they have very little tread left on the ball of the foot. I don't notice any benefits on concrete, but they are awful on wet or dewy grass. I also find myself slipping in them on small debris, like twigs or small rocks.