• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Help Choosing First OS Fairway

WestsideTony

Right now I'm weighing between Teebird, Stag, and Vibram Arch. I throw LHBH and I'm lucky to get 300' out of my throws if I'm being honest. I have some OS discs but they are faster speeds and I can't throw them very far. I'm open to what ever brands..

In my bag,
166m Unlace
168 star valk,
168 Champ orc (this disc is a dog leg and wind thrower for me)
168 TP Underworld
167 Ibex,
175 Star skeeter,
175 VIP Bard,
175 Summit.
173 VIP Harp

What do you want out of it? Something that goes straight for a bit with dependable fade, or something that will be truly OS so you can use it for skip shots and spike hyzers and any wind? Keeping in mind true OS for you would not necessarily mean the most OS disc produced just something OS trustworthy...but it would definitely cost you like 50'+ from your Valk or something like that.

An overstable fairway probably won't do anything for you that you can't accomplish with the Valk or Orc. But if you just want to buy something(I know how it is), I'd suggest you just get a head start on beating in a premium plastic Teebird.

Look into the Infinite Discs EXODUS, which has Teebird flight numbers but is more like an Eagle-L. I bag an Exodus for dependable hyzers.

For more OS but with some surprisingly good distance and glide, consider the Champion Banshee.

And I agree with someone above that said you can work that Orc to cover a lot of shots you may need...

I wish someone had told me to stay away from too much stability in the beginning. Grab an FD, if you have to go OS grab a TL it'll behave like a TB at your power learn your angles with the underworld and an FD and you'll be set.

Banshee. Plenty overstable, low glide, not too fast.

Make sure you keep using a neutral-slightly understable slow fairway as your main driver. But learning how to utilize an OS disc is huge as well.

Teebird would be a great choice. A regular Star in the upper 160's sounds about right. You might even want to step back to an OS 5-speed mid and get that going. When your putting that thing out around to 300' then move up to the fairway. Faster doesn't always equal further.

A Wasp or something like it would be good.

Last edited:
I got it. Try the kaxe. Probably goes as far for you as anything, decent glide, straight to a healthy fade, can work a flex, small diameter, and a comfortable grip.

Only reason I don't bag one is because it is just shy of a fairway distance, but doesn't fit in my setup. Might make a nice driver for you.

If count the Arch out since it's OOP and likely to be hard to find/more expensive.

I love Stags, they can cover a lot of lines. But it's less stable than the numbers and can be very long. I'd give it a 8/5/-1/2.

Teebirds are usually more reliably stable, but can't cover as many turnover lines or s curve lines. But better overall at straight to fade.

Just depends on what you want.

Thanks for all of the replies thus far. I do have a bard that I could work on getting more distance out of it before trying to get a faster disc. But there's still that itch to buy a new disc just for the fun of it. I like the exodus suggestion.
Would a river pro be advisable? I don't see much content about it

If count the Arch out since it's OOP and likely to be hard to find/more expensive.

I love Stags, they can cover a lot of lines. But it's less stable than the numbers and can be very long. I'd give it a 8/5/-1/2.

Teebirds are usually more reliably stable, but can't cover as many turnover lines or s curve lines. But better overall at straight to fade.

Just depends on what you want.

Infinite discs has the arch still.

Infinite discs has the arch still.

A lot of people still do, but if you want to keep it a part of your bag long term it's not the best call.

If you want an Arch that's fine, if you want to bag it for years, maybe try something else.

Convict is another good option at 300. Easier to throw/not too beefy OS but can manipulate with hyzer. If that's what you are looking for...

But not a wind fighter, low glide, hard fade disc...if that's what you're looking for...

I like Paige Pierce Lucid.

I agree with Gripp, at 300' power, a C FD should have good stability, and will probably hang with your Valk in distance. Again, I agree the TL would be one notch up in stability from the FD.

Star Teebirds are pretty stubborn when new, especially at your power level I'd imagine it to rather beefy.

I agree with Gripp, at 300' power, a C FD should have good stability, and will probably hang with your Valk in distance. Again, I agree the TL would be one notch up in stability from the FD.

Star Teebirds are pretty stubborn when new, especially at your power level I'd imagine it to rather beefy.

Yeah if you want a disc that acts like a Firebird for bigger arms then a Star/Champ Teebird would be a good stable-OS disc that is easier to manage than a Firebird if you're not looking for trick shots like overhands/skips. They can be pretty mean though if they are of the overstable variety, but when worked in they go very straight...it can just take some disc wear and some power.

If you want something reliably straight that will end with some left then a TL is a good option. C-FD would be a good disc at your arm speed too, slightly straighter. I agree that it would be like a bit of an easier to control Valk since it's a little slower. You won't really go wrong with an FD or TL, they are both fun to throw no matter your power level.

I say go Teebird. Star is good, maybe Gstar if you like that kinda feel.

If it's too much disc for you at first, that just gives you something to grow into. Plus, hyzers and flexes with Teebirds are pretty dang sweet.

There's a reason everyone's been copying it for over a decade...

Thanks for all of the replies thus far. I do have a bard that I could work on getting more distance out of it before trying to get a faster disc. But there's still that itch to buy a new disc just for the fun of it. I like the exodus suggestion.
Would a river pro be advisable? I don't see much content about it

I haven't tried a River Pro, but it wasn't all that well received when it came out. You might search these boards for a thread, and also go to the Infinite Discs website for their reviews on it.

It's hard to go wrong with a star or gstar tee bird for almost any player. Other options for your power *I can relate* could be a champ eagle or a lucid convict. You don't want the River Pro. Nobody I know clicked with that disc...people were giving them away after whatever event they came out for.