• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help selecting 5th disc

jmgdiscgolf

Par Member
I'm still a beginner and right now I'm using 4 discs. I would like to add one more. What do you think would best compliment the ones I have? Innova Teebird? I don't have the strongest arm so please keep it under speed 9. Thanks.

Here's what I currently use:

Driver - Discraft X XL
Midrange - Discraft X Buzzz
Midrange - Discraft X Comet
Putter - Discraft Soft Magnet

Just a few questions...What do you feel like you're missing with your current set up? How far are you throwing right now? How are you throwing them (backhand? forehand?)

Just a few questions...What do you feel like you're missing with your current set up? How far are you throwing right now? How are you throwing them (backhand? forehand?)

Right hand back hand for everything. Not sure exactly on distance but a little under 300 I'd say. I'm thinking I need something that will help fight against wind better but I don't want something too overstable.

If you like the XL, try it in Z plastic.
If you wanna stay with Discraft, try the Tracker.
Teebirds and Eagles are always safe.

Looks to me like you are setup just fine actually, especially if you are a casual player. Backup putters would be a nice addition or an overstable fairway

Let me start by saying you've got a better set up than most beginners who post here looking for "next disc" advice; neutral molds that are beginner friendly, predictable, not too fast, and imminently shapeable (as far as lines you can throw), and therefore, useable in a wiiiide variety of situations). Good job! :thmbup:

If you like the XL, try it in Z plastic.
3rd'ed

If you wanna stay with Discraft, try the Tracker.
Teebirds and Eagles are always safe
2nd'ed

Last edited:
Look at a Stratus in X plastic. The Stratus is great for beginners as well as pros. Easy to throw, it will fly straight at low to mid speeds, or fade to an anhyzer at higher speeds. A well-worn Stratus will flip flat when thrown on a hard hyzer. It allows you to work the other side of the course. Many have forgotten about this disc because it's not flashy but it will impress you.

Good Luck

I've only tried the XL in X. I've heard that the X is the definitive modern plastic. Why is the Z better?

Z usually starts out more OS, and its more durable so it stays in its sweet spot longest.

X has better grip, and some like the way certain molds fly in X plastic, like the domier X Force, but it will beat up faster.

I would try one of the following:

A matching magnet
A driving putter (banger gt, wizard, pure, ion or something)
A champ/z stable/slightly OS fairway driver (teebird, eagle, another xl, tracker, volt or something)
Something light and overstable (predator, resistor, banshee, firebird...)

Z usually starts out more OS, and its more durable so it stays in its sweet spot longest.

Thanks. To me the Z XL sounds like the post ace race Mantis which is like a longer more stable XL. The Mantis is like a updated XL really.

If you really like X plastic try an Avenger. It's really around speed 9 and will fight headwinds better. Not too beefy in X either.

If you really like X plastic try an Avenger. It's really around speed 9 and will fight headwinds better. Not too beefy in X either.

I agree with this. X Avenger was my favorite driver for a long time. Once it beats in you will have one awesome hyzer flip machine.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have a few of the discs mentioned but haven't thrown them yet. I'll give them a try.

How do you like the buzzz/comet duo, or better question: what shots do you use them for?

I carried a comet with my buzzz but found that the comet really takes a different type of throw to get distance. I much prefer the feel of the buzzz when driving so I still carry my comet for touch shots. Regardless, when you are new I recommend staying with nothing faster than fairways (though each have their own opinion). As a new player my bag was basically this:

Teebird
Leopard
Wasp
Buzzz
Meteor
Wizard S for driving
Wizard SS/SSS for putting

I honestly haven't added too many discs to that bag and it covered most of all the shots I needed.

With the 4 discs you already have, I think an MVP Resistor would work great as your OS disc. It's a speed 6 or 7 and is a very manageable OS driver.