• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Help with S/OS Fairway Decision?

waddleman

Bogey Member
OK so I've been getting by recently mostly neglecting my fairway spots, lost some discs in the spring, gave some to friends who wanted to get into dg, etc. I've been rolling around with a cyclone that I snagged at 165 that I really like, but I also want to compliment it with something right in the region between Stable and Overstable.

I've thrown some eagles before and I liked them, but I already have an innova heavy bag as is, especially with drivers, so I was wondering what else is in that same range from some other companies? Preferably I'd like something that's good in star-like plastic (Gold line, Tournament, you get it), but really anything you guys could reccomend would be great.

Dunno if it matters, but I'm a mostly FH player, can reach 400+ FH and only 275-300 on BH (and more importantly am wildly innacurate with BH drives).

I've heard lots of good things about the PD, but isn't it more of a distance driver than a fairway?

I would try an Opto Saint it's a stable fairway driver, although some may call it a distance driver. C-PD from what I hear are great as well. I've only thrown the P-PD myself and really like it.

MVP Shock. It's great for FH, comes in highly durable Neutron plastic, and just overstable enough to be versatile.

Brinster teebird, glide and stability all in a nice plastic. If you find it's too beefy I'm sure you could easily trade it for a regular teebird that is slight less overstable.

I haven't tried any MVP yet, is the shock around a -1/3 for turn/fade, or more 0/3 or -1/2 if you had to give it numbers?

I know the numbers aren't that useful, but it's helpful to just describle the flights in basic terms :\.

Basically if it's just into that overstable range that would be perfect, but if it's more like a TL or something it's just going to overlap on my Cyclone a bunch and I'll never throw it (I do love dat cyclone).

Legacy Rival Icon has almost the same flight pattern as an Eagle but it a little longer. If you are looking for something a little more stable a Firebird or Whippet are good options.

I haven't tried any MVP yet, is the shock around a -1/3 for turn/fade, or more 0/3 or -1/2 if you had to give it numbers?

I know the numbers aren't that useful, but it's helpful to just describle the flights in basic terms :\.

Basically if it's just into that overstable range that would be perfect, but if it's more like a TL or something it's just going to overlap on my Cyclone a bunch and I'll never throw it (I do love dat cyclone).

Oh no, it's nothing like a TL. The Shock is beefy, but just beefy enough. It's not like Opto Trident, or 12X Firebird beef. I'd put it at 0/3.

More overstable for forehand try a Tracker. Slightly higher stability but very similar to Cyclone for forehand flips and backhand throws try a Stalker.

For something a little faster and a bit more stable try the XS or an XL which will have a similar stability to a Cyclone.

I like the classic Innova lineup of fairways, IMO those are their best discs and the best fairways available. Other options like MVPs, Latitude family, Discmania, etc. are all faster.

I would say get a Firebird but if you must stray from innova try a XXX. Both of these are great for FH and high wind shots. This will pair well with your eagle also but you might want something less stable so try a teebird-esque disc, ie stag, tracker, escape.

Yeah firebird is a bit much for what I'm looking for, definately in the full on OS category. I probably wasn't too clear, I'm looking for something in the same vein as an Eagle. I hadn't heard of the Stag before, maybe the Shock has some competition after all.