• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 11/9/2021: Kessler Park (Cliff Drive) Hole #9 Kansas City, MO

Bardu

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Kessler Park (Cliff Drive) in Kansas City, MO

Pin A: 295 ft
Pin B: 384 ft
Pin C: 594 ft

Tee
c0086ce6.jpg

Basket
607c480b.jpg

Cliff Basket
785c7ac8.jpg

How was that course? I hear mixed reviews about it being somewhere between trashy (literally) and fun to play.

Looks like an Eagle or FD off the tee, cross my fingers not get stuck behind the brush for the upshot. Then easy jam it into the cliff for a par putt.

How was that course? I hear mixed reviews about it being somewhere between trashy (literally) and fun to play.

Looks like an Eagle or FD off the tee, cross my fingers not get stuck behind the brush for the upshot. Then easy jam it into the cliff for a par putt.

It's really trashy and also really fun (see my rather lengthy review).

Anyway, on this hole, I go RHFH hyzer with a fairway driver or distance driver, and hope to get a long birdie putt on the hanging basket but more importantly avoid the rough on the left. To either of the long pins, a similar drive will get you a decent look at an upshot.

There's also a super risky right route that you can possibly thread an overhand shot through to get to the hanging basket. I've never tried it though.

Star Roadrunner

• Raised tee
  • Slight uphill fairway
  • Through the primary left gap there is a overhanging tree on the right (center from the teepad) forcing wider tee shots toward the left tree line rough.
  • Big rocks lined up across the fairway starting near the left tree line.
  • Ceiling concerns
  • Fairway can funnel wind in each direction
Short basket
The picture is a dozen years old so the right side off the tee has opened up with a couple downed trees. Still high risk to attempt that but it is very direct to the short basket.
Left gap has BH Roller (flippy mid/fairway) potential to C1 the hanging short basket landing past the rocks, FH usually will leave a C2 or further putt (limited skip with uphill and grass/uneven fairway).

Mid & Long baskets
BH flex with stable distance driver or flat w/ a turning distance driver. Left side rough trees overhang the fairway so stay low/get it turned over right. Getting well to the left or slightly right of the two trees at the mid pin makes the approach to the long pin easiest. Tough birdie 2 to the mid pin, easier to get the birdie 3 on the par 4 long.

Ranks among the better holes at Cliff Dr and around KC. Fair and challenging. Cliff Dr is one of the best all around tests of a 930+ rated player's game in the area. Shooting par is a 940-990 rated tournament round.

Where do you find the numerical tournament par rating of courses?

If you know which PDGA tournaments were played on that course, preferably on average weather days, it's super easy.:D

Cliff Dr definitely has a lot of options to tune the layout to the desired par & pace of play. Most of the tournament layouts come in between par 58 and 62. Combined holes/shared baskets/old layout holes/newly added holes and pins all get utilized so I don't expect any 2 layouts to be identical. Hole by hole scoring from the recent tournaments can show the distances for each hole at least.