• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hornets Nest

Peter S

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I see there is a August 26 review of a 3.5. Under cons: "The last time I went to play there was a criminal investigation going on in the parking lot. Someone was held up at gun point. In addition you may get harassed by the locals and find needles on the course"

Any locals care to coment on this. Was this a isolated incident? I live in Ft Lauderdale and we have the occasional vehicle break in from time to time around the disc parks. Is The Nest inside of a free park? I find when going to free parks there may be some homeless present but never have been "harassed"

Would the park be considered safe. We plan to visit on a weekday when the park may be less crouded and we would be more vulnerable. I wonder if he ment he was harassed by homeless when he says "locals.

Our plan is for Thursday Sept 18 around 11:00am if any one wants to meet up. Looks like this would be a good course for us to have a guide since this will be our first visit.

Not a local, but when my wife and I were there (in the middle of the day) we felt perfectly safe.

Yeah, you'll be fine there. It's not a country club, or a rich suburb, so just apply standard awareness of your surroundings.

I've never had issues there. Heard of car break ins a such but that's it.

I read that review and thought that was really strange. I've never seen needles anywhere and I have never been harassed by anyone and I play there once a week

No worries. It's a large multi-use park, so there are a lot of people there, so the odds are that sooner or later, something's going to be happening. I'm not a local but I've been there, and would have no hesitation playing it alone, anytime.

Played there dozens of times, most annoying thing is when there's a big spillover cookout by #7, or mini-world cup going on in the 2 fairway, neither of which will be a problem on a weekday.

It sounds like BS, kind of like one of those "I shot a 22 over par, and got yelled at for tagging a tee sign, and I'm mad" reviews.

There's a course or two cut more from this type of cloth around town, but Hornets Nest isn't one of them.

Looks like this would be a good course for us to have a guide since this will be our first visit.

FYI:

There's two layouts that mostly overlap, have a couple of separate holes. The regular layout is fairly intuitive, maybe a couple of awkward transitions, but worst case a map'll get you around it.

The "web" layout is longer, one of the 3-4 hardest courses in the area, if not THE hardest, and can be really tricky to get around the first time without a guide.

I'll be slaving in the salt mines. If you don't get PMed on here for a meet up, try CharlotteDGC.com's forum.

Hornet's Nest is my home course. I play there a good bit, and I've never seen anything like that. I wouldn't be surprised if such things happened at Sugaw, but the Nest is in a relatively nice area, and the park doesn't seem to have much crime.

Ive had my car broken into at Hornets nest once. It was at 10AM on an overcase wednesday, about 50 degrees, so I was the only one in the park. Other than that Ive played there 100 times, never had an issue. Done maintainance there for 5 years and never found a needle. If you play the Web, sometimes "couples" are out there but if you play the normal nest course, I've rarely ever seen anyone not disc golfing in the woods. I doubt you could even call that a "review" of the course. I've heard of issues at almost every course in Charlotte except maybe the northern ones, Robbins, Bradford, Bailey, which are in slightly better areas; and Winget which is out of the way to.

but if you are nervous, play Nevin its harder anyway! :p PS Hornets is one of the most well rounded of the 160 courses I have played.

Not a local, by my round there (during mid-day) did not give me the impression that it was a sketchy course or park.

Ive had my car broken into at Hornets nest once. It was at 10AM on an overcase wednesday, about 50 degrees, so I was the only one in the park. but if you are nervous, play Nevin its harder anyway! :p

Funny you say this. About a month ago I was @ Nevin on a softball/baseball day, the lot was packed. Soneone's car had just been broken into right before I got there. Talking smashed in window. Kind of blew my mind that it happened with the lot full, people all over the place. I think the lady had left her purse in there, plain view.

I too will chime in as saying it seemed fine when I played there. If anything, it seemed a bit nicer than most parks, as opposed to sketchy. Not to say things can't happen in nice parks, but I wouldn't let an isolated incident witnessed by a single reviewer dissuade you. I'd play there again in a heartbeat (and Nevin, too for that matter... they're pretty close to each other).

The following is probably somewhere between "makes sense" and "overkill," but if you're really concrened about it... Read several more reviews, particularly by locals, and listen to reputable locals (like 1978 and BraveThrower) cause they'd have a better handle on what the place is like week in, week out. Use common sense when you visit: don't leave things in plain sight, keep a low profile, don't be loud and boisterous or otherwise stand out, be polite to people... and don't get stupid drunk. I'm not saying you can't enjoy a beer or two (assuming it's allowed in the park), but we've all seen instances where situations escalate because someone couldn't hanlde their alcohol consumption. In short do a few things to skew the odds in your favor that something bad won't happen, and enjoy... it's a great course!

Last edited:
So far it seems like it was an isolated incident. Cant wait for my trip.

Yup, I always hide anything including my GPS. It is so easy to smash a window and take a GPS off the window and disappear into the woods...on any course in the country.

Funny you say this. About a month ago I was @ Nevin on a softball/baseball day, the lot was packed. Soneone's car had just been broken into right before I got there. Talking smashed in window. Kind of blew my mind that it happened with the lot full, people all over the place. I think the lady had left her purse in there, plain view.

Yea, I was at Westmoreland park coaching baseball. Small park, seats right next to the lots. Someone drove up smashed a window and stole a womans purse. In front of people, and drove off. There are insane people out there...it can happen in your driveway too. Ive seen that. Never leave valuables visible in your car...GPS, discs, sporting equipment, purse, wallet, briefcase.

I played Hornets Nest on Sunday and didn't see any needles. I guess there could of been a needle party since then. JK Seems like a really random review.

I play The Nest at least once a week, and have been for abt 3-4 years. Never had a single incident. Its a very beautiful park and the course just has that feeling that your playing on hallowed grounds. The Nest/Web just holds a special place for me, and I feel privledged to be able to play there whenever I want.

I always see a Park Ranger or Police car patroling the parking areas, so that should add piece of mind.

On a nice sunny day, Hornets Nest is hard to beat.

You'll have a great time! Enjoy your round and worry not.

So far it seems like it was an isolated incident. Cant wait for my trip.

Don't worry. Hornets Nest is fine. Here in Charlotte, we don't try to get your jollies by claiming to have the cleanest park in the world. We only care about having great courses.