• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How high do you throw when you are going for max distance?

isobar1

Bogey Member
Assuming you don't have trees to worry, about how high is ideal for your max distance throws? I have realized lately that when I throw for max distance, I can't get over the "keeping it low" training that I have embedded into my head. Most the courses I play are pretty wooded, so anything you throw higher than say 15-20 feet has a really high chance of being swallowed up by branches and leaves. I recently played a couple of courses that had several 500+ holes that were mostly wide open. I realized I had no idea how to throw for max distance in a situation like that. I generally max out just shy of 400' with a line drive shot, usually with an apex of around 10-15 feet I would estimate. Occasionally I'll hit about 430 if everything connects. This is with an Opto Saint and a Pro Boss, both around 168g.

I want to say 60 feet. but I think that number was thrown out there during a discussion of absolute max distance with wind ride and everything. 60 feet is really high in the air. I would say start with 25 and see what happens. I'm like you and mostly play in the woods and have to keep everything low.

All depends on wind for me and especially which direction and whether or not I'm flipping or flexing. Either way, I don't think I could accurately say how high my discs get.

I set a personal best yesterday on an uphill hole. When i released, I thought I had released too low. The incoming wind just kept it rising with the land. Was a beautiful thing to watch. The Tern really does glide like a mofo.

Tried something new yesterday. Downhill hole with trees in way. Normal throw is a flipped Mamba under, but that is high risk. Had a very strong l to r wind. Threw WAY left with Anny. Wind caught it. No telling how high it went. Came all the way around in line with basket.

I've only reached that one once, so I was pretty happy. Just a guess, but that one could have been 80 feet.

Thinking about this some more reminded me of the Wiggins Jr. demo I saw live last year. Aside from his exception mechanics and strength/speed/power development he also threw the disc very high in the air. It's hard for me to estimate vertical distances but I would guess he was throwing 60 plus feet in the air he was getting over the tree line. average tree line in NC is 60 ft. It's also hard for me to throw high. just something I never worked on.

Max D shoot the moon and golf throws are different in heights and things change when you go from speed 7 to 13 and fade plays a major part too. As does wind. The article section refers to 70-100+' apexes for top throwers at least that was used when speed 7 discs held the distance record. Judging by light towers and telephone poles FW drivers up to 60' for me and way less for warp speeders say 17-25' depending on wind and the disc and the width of the area available and how much accuracy there needs to be.

Basically as high as you can, without letting the nose get up too much and without letting the disc stall prematurely. To put it another way it depends on your power, skill and the prevailing wind conditions. A stronger player can throw the disc higher up the air without losing too much speed, and a player who can get more nose down on the disc can also throw it higher up.

Annying the disc enough in relation to the height, speed and fade of the disc is nose down. If you cannot get anny you cannot get high and nose down throws. Come on anyone healthy can throw an anny right?

Latest posts