• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long had you played before your first par round?

freeus

Par Member
Title says it all. I am coming up on my 2nd DG anniversary and to date my best round of 18 on any course is +4. My goal is to have at least one at-par or better round this year.

How long after you started playing was it before you threw your very first at-par round of 18? Also, how difficult was the course you did it on?

Unless I par something tomorrow it will be exactly 4 months and counting. Best so far is +4 at Coachman; I have all the capabilities to shoot par or better there but I've yet to put it all together at once.

I play an all par 3 course and played my first even round about 2 months after I started playing, but I was playing 6-10 rounds a week.

when i started seriously playing i looked for all the courses around denver, co. and found a little pitch and putt course. it was very easy and i shot -6 on the nine holes it had. i even almost aced a few and back then all i had was a trashed teebird...not even a putter.

so i guess my answer is a couple days.

as for better courses i shot -1 at lamar park in corpus christi in a good amount of wind for my first "real under par" round. that was like 4 months after i started.

i need to find out the real pars for some other courses cause i think i might of shot par at some others...its just that i count everything as a par 3.

Shot par in my first 9-hole round in April 1989. I played a 9-hole course with 141g and 165g Frisbees and shot 27. Someone had told me the holes were par 3 and I started thinking I was ready to go pro! Come to find out this 9-hole course was a pitch and putt with no hole over 245. Got killed at my first 36-hole event a few weeks later not knowing there was such a thing as golf discs. Probably shot at least +20 that event.

Went to a sporting goods store right afterwards and got my first driver. The Innova literature said this disc had the world record so I got me a 195g Phenix as my first disc. Couldn't throw it straight for at least a month. Then got a 168g Eclipse and my game started coming around. Too foggy to remember but it probably took the rest of the summer to shoot par on one of our more legit disc golf courses in town.

I've been playing almost a year (less, if you don't include winter), and my personal best is +1. I usually throw about +7 or +8. If it means anything, I only play par 3, and the courses I regularly play are ones that will be used for an A-tier event in a week. This also includes a course that was used for the world's in 2003.

It probably took me about 6 months to shoot under par. The funny thing is that I played a BUNCH back then... after about 5 months I could birdie pretty much all the holes. But I kept ending my rounds at +1,+3,+2,etc. Then one day I finished -4. Thats it. No baby steps to 0 or -3, just... BOOM. -3. It took a short while to do it again but once my consistency kicked in then it was smooth sailing.

I got an ace before I got under par.

Made a course par in a couple months

Made par playing all 3's- 'bout a year

Regularly shoot under par- still workin on it.

I shot my first par round within a few months. But it's kind of irrelevant to your skill level. Some courses are just easy to shoot par and under. And some are really hard. The real thing to do is look at the course SSA and see how you're shooting relative to that.

SSA = Suggested Scoring Average (right guys?)

This is the score for an individual course that a 1000 rated player would shoot on average. It takes into account the scores of any PDGA member with a rating that has played the course, as well as the performances of players relative to each other on given days (to account for varying conditions). I think I've got it right...