• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How rare are Aces on Disc Golf?

toddy74

Been between a 2-5 handicap on ball golf for 20+ years and never had an ace. I've been watching videos on line and noticed this guy Cubby had like 400+ and some recorded. As I am brand new to this game is an Ace something the average player might get once a year? more rare? less rare?

I've seen the thought that a regular player should have an ace once every three years. They are definitely more common in Disc golf.

Cubby has 400+ aces because he throws multiple shots at each basket.

Been between a 2-5 handicap on ball golf for 20+ years and never had an ace. I've been watching videos on line and noticed this guy Cubby had like 400+ and some recorded. As I am brand new to this game is an Ace something the average player might get once a year? more rare? less rare?

Because disc golf courses vary so much, chances of aces vary. If you play a course with a lot of 200' holes, you'll likely end up with aces. If all the holes are more than 400', you may never.

If you stand on the tee of a short hole and throw 20 shots at a time, and want to call the one that goes in an ace, you may accumulate a bunch of them.

But yes, on average, aces are much easier to get in disc golf. An average player on an average course will get some.

I believe your home course has a large role in it to. How difficult or easy the shorter holes are makes a difference. If the course is a small 9 hole and you only take a putter and mid most of the time your odds are much greater than if you're playing a champion course.

That being said, I've never hit metal on my home course but hit a laser on a course I seldom play that's much further out than my home course holes.

This is understating it. Cubby throws a TON of shots at every easy basket, filming it then cutting out the misses. Makes for entertaining watching, but most golfers don't consider them legitimate aces in any sense of the word (though I don't want to turn this into another "what is an ace thread" so I'll leave it at that).

"Cubby Ace"=sitting at a reachable hole and throwing disc's until you ace it. Not truly a real ace but I guess it's entertaining. I have had one cubby ace and no real aces(first throw off of the tee box). I have hit the top of the basket and bottom pole a couple times.

Aces in disc golf are much easier than ball golf for a number of reasons:

1. The size of the target is bigger in disc golf.
2. The size of the course is smaller in disc golf, making the target that much larger in relation.
3. In general, courses offer far more reachable pins off the tee in disc golf.
4. Throwing a disc accurately is an easier skill to master than striking a small ball accurately.

Aces in disc golf are much easier than ball golf for a number of reasons:

1. The size of the target is bigger in disc golf.
2. The size of the course is smaller in disc golf, making the target that much larger in relation.
3. In general, courses offer far more reachable pins off the tee in disc golf.
4. Throwing a disc accurately is an easier skill to master than striking a small ball accurately.

oh and one more:

5. A round of disc golf takes less time than a round of ball golf. So it is a lot easier to get a round in, meaning more opportunity for aces.

I've seen the thought that a regular player should have an ace once every three years. They are definitely more common in Disc golf.

HA! Okay I thought this had to be the case! I saw he had like his 360th ace then 5 months later had his 422nd and was thinking thats about 3 per week!

Way easier in Disc Golf. Played ball golf at a high level...anywhere from a +1 to a 4 hdcp, made ONE ace from 1974 to 2012. Started playing disc in 2007, have made FIVE aces.

I dont' want to make a new thread. How do you post scores? I want to post them all so i can see imporovement over time.

My home course has 14 holes between 200' and 250'. I have 3 aces there in 3 years (spring - fall playing 2 rounds a week). I know some guys there who play 4 or 5 rounds a week, and at least once a week in the winter, who get 3 or 4 aces a year. And these are all real aces; first and only throw off the box.

I've only started playing discgolf before the summer and up until last month, I never got an Ace. I got my first in mid-September and my second in mid-October. And I got one cubby-ace yesterday after emptying the bag on the last hole, but it was just for kicks and giggles not in a round.

So just play and get to know your discs well and then let some magic happen, you'll get one eventually.

I started in July '08. Got my first Ace 2 yrs later and then 2 more within 6 months, then 18 months til #4 this past May.

Aces are nothing but luck. With that being said Ive gotten lucky 7 times in the past couple years. I feel like if I didnt smash basket Id be 50 out and hoping to hit a jump putt for a two but prolly carding a 3.

This thread proved my original argument against Cubby that I was making years ago.
people will see the youtube videos and think, "If this fat dude can hit 400 aces, what am I doing wrong".
I have lost the animosity towards Cubby and realize he does more good for the sport than harm, but these videos are still crap and they weaken the acheivement of getting an ace and it can be demoralizing to new players wondering why they have not hit one after 6 months of playing.

Last edited: