• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I have 7 discs to start with

MarkTew

Totally new to disc golf. Got a basket in the back yard to practice putting.

I have 7 discs:

2 distance drivers - both Destroyers
2 midrange - Shark and a buzz
1 fairway driver - Leopard
2 Putters - 1 Aviar putt and approach; 1 judge putter

Is this ok for me to start with?

Any advice welcome!!

Totally new to disc golf. Got a basket in the back yard to practice putting.

I have 7 discs:

2 distance drivers - both Destroyers
2 midrange - Shark and a buzz
1 fairway driver - Leopard
2 Putters - 1 Aviar putt and approach; 1 judge putter

Is this ok for me to start with?

Any advice welcome!!

I would drop the Destroyers for lesser speed discs like a Valkyrie or same disc flight but faster in Star the 11 speed Archon unless you play or played in sports that had throwing to the sport/need upper body to do sport, as then in a about 2-3 months you could probably use a Destroyer no problem.

Don't hurt yourself trying to power throw the Destros. Bad form hurts on big discs. They take a finesse and Lots of speed. Best to shelve them until you get fairways to behave with distance, predictability, smoothness and finger callouses sorted out.

Next most progressive purchases would be a more putters. Raid a used bin if you have a local shop for a variety's putters in various wear conditions not caring about old ink and ugly discs. A five gallon bucket of putters is very nice for getting a stroke and little games like HORSE. Another leopard and shark or buzzz for a field work practice kit.

... I personally recommend getting a soft putter and playing long catch with disc and non-disc golfers when possible. Have fun and experiment.

Leave the Destroyers off your throwing agenda until you understand how to throw the Leopard, and Shark and more importantly, the Aviar. You will only annoy your future self with bad form, and probably hurt your shoulder if you try learning NOW with a Destroyer.
Disc down, and leave the +10 discs alone until you can get your throwing with the lower speed ones to be predictable.
oh, yeah. What are the weights of those other Innova discs?

The ONE piece of advice I wish I had followed (but is sooooo hard to do) is to only play with putters and midranges for a year. Doing that is the best way to improve your form. But I quickly jumped into fairway drivers. I never got a good backhand throw and am still struggling to find the proper form.

Take note of the recent rounds of Ricky Wysocki and James Conrad at Green Mountain, and how much they relied on discs like the Pig (in Ricky's instance) and a couple Aviars for most of the heavy lifting.

:) Yeah....I should....but....

I actually have been considering doing that for a while. We'll see if I can actually commit to it.

I couldn't resist Bill!

I don't think a year is needed though. I carried nothing but Rocs and Rhynos for about a month, and it really changed things for me.

You don't need to always start with only putters and mids, all the time.

But everyone, regardless of current skill level, is well served by occasionally playing rounds with just a couple putters, or a putter and a mid.

Definitely dont try and learn to play with Destroyers. For distance starting out I might use something like an Avenger SS.