• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I like Southeast Courses better than here on West Coast !!

discrat

Been out here in LA area for a year now for a temporary stint for my job.
They have some great Courses but I will have to give the edge to the Course back home in Knoxvile and Nashville and also the North Carolina region where I frequent!!

I miss all those wooded Courses with the Magnolias and Oakes. And of course the Pines at Henry Horton .
There is just nothing that compares to it out here in Cali 8)

I agree. I'm from Georgia, but live in Vegas. Vegas DG is so bad, I long for the courses in LA.

SoCal isn't the greatest place to be if you're into forests. Make a road trip up to Santa Maria sometime and play Waller Pines. It's not full fledged "woodsy", but moreso than most in the area. Parts of it reminded me a lot of central NC.

LA is just one region of the West Coast. As mentioned, waller pines has 9 holes of 27 that remind me of NC in a way. Come up north to Norcal, completely different. Not to mention Oregon/Washington/BC. Have you played in the redwoods?

Yea, you gotta be careful, here on the left coast we are regional; though LA is "West Coast" up here in PDX we don't want to be included with areas that far south. And if it is a tree lined fairway-fix you need, you gotta come north. Those folks in the SW cut trees for...well an old Cali Gov put it in perspective, "If you've seen one Redwood, you've seen them all." (Ronnie Ray-gun)
Come north my friend, we'd be glad to show you around, you can season some discs here.
J

In my opinion, for some of the West Coast's best, make a road trip....

From LA head over to Lake Casitas in Ojai and play Coyote Point. This is a great woodsy elevation course wrapping around beatiful lake Casitas with 18 permanent holes. Next, make your way along the coast until you get to Santa Maria, where you'll be looking for Waller Pines. Another great course, very well layed out, some woodsy holes, but not a ton of elevation. There are 27 permanent holes there. Now, if you happen to head inland from there, in Visalia, CA there is a great course at Mooney Gove Park called Perry Outback. This is a fairly flat course, but beautiful oaks are scattered everywhere. The course has 18 permanent holes, and offers lot's of opportunity to practice different technique. The course, in the longs, is about 8000 feet long with a technical 735' hole being the longest. From Visalia you'd probably want to head North, maybe even stop by Fresno and play Woodward Legacy Disc Gof course. Another rolling hills course with 18 permanent holes, and about 200 newly planted trees which will wreak havok on our drives in a few years. From Fresno you'll be making your way back to the coast, and you may want to stop in Monterey to find the CSUMB (Monterey State University) course. Their northern course is tough. Lot's of trees, mandos, distance, and wind. This course is located ON the campus of CSUMB. I don't remember this course name but it's NOT the Cypress course, which is about 1/4 mile down the street from it. From Monterey it's obvious where your next stop should be....DeLaveaga Disc Golf course in Santa Cruz! This is arguably California's best disc golf course. Plenty of elevation, woods, distance, TIGHT fairways, the infamous I-5 and Top of the World holes, and the opportunity to compare your skills with the world's best (It's a NT stop). There are 27 permanent holes and plenty of locals to show you around. From there you'd probably want to check out the course in Orangevale, CA, another great course which hosts two A Tiers every year. Very technical and tough course. That's about as far as I can get you North, someone else chime in for other great courses on the journey to the north....

P.S. Have you found Emerals Isle or La Mirada's courses down there yet?

After you follow Disctribution's suggestions come play Golden Gate and Aquatic Park. AP will challege your accuracy and nerve with all the wind, trees and water. 4 holes tee off over water!
This course may not be pretty and it may be crowded at time with dog walkers etc. but it is a tough unforgiving course.
Then head north to Stafford Lake in Novato and Skyline in Napa.
I doubt you will be dissapointed.
Besides there is other things to enjoy in NorCal besides DG.

Used to live near Nashville and played lots of the courses in that region. Moved west and have been playing NorCal lately. I would give the edge to NorCal courses, they are more challenging and more beautiful.

Golden Gate Park in San Fran reminds me a lot of Seven Oaks in Nashville, and Delaveaga in Santa Cruz is reminiscent of Cedar Hill. Stafford Lake in Novato is in a class by itself, Napa course is excellent, and all the Tahoe courses are incredible. You should defidently go up to the bay area, or make a trip to the Sierras and play Tahoe.

discrat said:
Been out here in LA area for a year now for a temporary stint for my job.
They have some great Courses but I will have to give the edge to the Course back home in Knoxvile and Nashville and also the North Carolina region where I frequent!!

I miss all those wooded Courses with the Magnolias and Oakes. And of course the Pines at Henry Horton .
There is just nothing that compares to it out here in Cali 8)

Victor Ashe is very nice. Farragut was good for me(a beginner), Didnt care for morningside. Will be playin Nashville courses soon.