• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I love my Katana

Bradley Walker

* Ace Member *
Mine is orange with a perfect dome... I hyper flip. For me it is the faster beat in Wraith... I work all the lines. It's very neutral. Well done!!!

My Glow Champion Katana (2011 Pro Worlds Rainbow Stamp) is still over-stable after much use... I throw flat for perfect flights at 375'-ish, or with slight anhyzer and a little altitude for maximum distance lines (400'+). No problems in the wind, very predictable. Its a great disc, but is unfortunately nothing like any other Katana I've ever thrown.

Farting Lemons are great, and the Champ Katanas I've tested have also been very usable. Can't say I like the regular production Stars and Pros.

i have a 175 star katana that does serious work.
hyzer flip for flat flight.
flat release for nice right turn.
giant noes up annie for maxD

Bradley Walker said:
MR. WICK said:
The King is a better Katana imo

Interesting... Why???

All of the things the Katana was advertised as, the King is, with some amount of predictability that you can actually rely on.
King (IMO) is the only thing other than a nuke that can touch a katana (on one of those "hit it just right" katana throws) in terms of easy D, and its prolly easier D than either of those two, and a good max D disc for people w/ shorter D or slower arm speed. I feel like its just easier to get to cruising speed than Katana, or Nuke, but is about as predictable as a nuke (not quite). However, like the other 2, the king is also shit into any headwind.

Like I've said many times, the King is so easy to throw far it's almost like cheating. I believe that the Katana and Nuke have more distance potential perhaps, but the King takes less effort to throw long.

I would have given the Katana more of a chance if the production Stars came out anything like the farting lemons. They feel like they have completely different tops, not to mention the fundraisers are much stiffer and tougher plastic.

jubuttib said:
I believe that the Katana and Nuke have more distance potential perhaps, but the King takes less effort to throw long.
This.

As far as Katanas, I had good luck with the domey Echo*s.

I loved my Katana's... for a while. Especially when I could only throw around 350' with anything else. I had two Pros (one lost in a lake), one 171 kinda stable star and a brand new unthrown 175 star I was keeping for backup when the 171 started to break in. When I was able to hit 400'+ with other more stable discs, the thrill was gone. I still take my flippy 167 Pro Ninja Turtle out the field when I'm practicing Max D. Nowadays my beat Pro Wraith gets the tailwind duty and it also handles point and shoot low line flicks out to about 275' that Michelangelo occasionally turned way over.

Michelangelo, "Wise man say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." Bodacious, wicked, gnarly, COWABUNGA dude! Thanks Bradley and "Aw, a fellow chucker, eh?"

As I already told Brad, and I really like the domey pros that are on the stiffer side. Nice for big annies. I just hate the profile.

The Kings i have are way different. One with good dome and high PLH is very predictable and doesn't flip much at all and the thin low PLH flips a lot. The non flipping one is almost as long as the flippy one and neither falls short of Katanas. The non flippy one is as predictable as a 175 CFR Champ Katana and as long or longer as a 167 Protana=Win for the King. It's good to be the King. Also because King has a lower power requirement and is more workable so it is the most versatile and also dependable across all flight lines in the non flippy kind out of all of the longest discs. It is ok for some winds, but not heavy headwinds and tends to fade out early in heavy rear winds. It is not a dump fade and skips well, but not as much as the dump fade headwind fighters. As a general purpose longest distance disc it is the best there is to me it's like a speed 13 Eagle X in flight in the non flippy version. And we both like Eagle X so that is high praise indeed. And why you should test one out. With your power you definitely need a disc that does not have a drooping outside edge and does have some dome.

I just bought a Tournament King. I asked for domey and Clearwater said this 173 was the one. Also got another Ion and the new Axis. Damn, I'm a sucker for free shipping. :?

7ontheline said:
I just bought a Tournament King. I asked for domey and Clearwater said this 173 was the one. Also got another Ion and the new Axis. Damn, I'm a sucker for free shipping. :?

As long as it is dry weather those discs make you look like a genius getting them shipped free :) You'll be hard pressed to find superior discs to those for most needs. And this comes from a guy, who can't power up Ions without flipping them and gets insane slips with even a soft one in the rain.

To be on topic i lost my only farting lemon last year so this from memory only, but it think the high PLH domey Vip King i have flies like the farting lemon with just a smidge more LSS and perhaps a third to a half point more HSS. But with more tolerance to the wind.

I bought a King... It was crazy flippy.... NothIng like my Katana.
Mine is Star orange 175. Very stiff. Nice smooth done.

It basically turns the same as my broken in pro wraiths. Just faster...

Did you see my post in this thread from Sep. 23? Does your King have a drooping leading edge aka low PLH? If so tune the edges up and it should be something different from the discs i have if the dome is equally low as my flippy thin one with low PLH. That kind of disc could really bomb thanks to the lesser drag and mine with the low PLH doesn't lack glide. It is just too flippy for general use on all lines, but ok on most lines. That makes me want to tune it to perfection.