• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I suppose I had it coming...

Conect11

Par Member
Well, after my last post: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19415 I suppose I had this coming. The group I play with was at Hudson Springs Park in Ohio. My 10 year old son Tee'd off for hole 11, and I was standing off to the side of him about 10 feet away. WHAM! Right in my gut. I felt like I got hit by a sledgehammer, and have the nasty welt to prove it. The kid's got an arm, and I got a great lesson on staying far BEHIND the tee.

Hard lesson learned. I always tell people , new players and old players, to stand behind the person throwing. You never know. I was in a tournament last year, and I was on the side of the tee , sitting down, and a guy gripped locked, and almost took my head off with a driver. He missed my head by inches.

Hard lesson learned. I always tell people , new players and old players, to stand behind the person throwing. You never know. I was in a tournament last year, and I was on the side of the tee , sitting down, and a guy gripped locked, and almost took my head off with a driver. He missed my head by inches.

yeah, I should have absolutely known. Only two weeks ago I was at Deis Hill in Dover, Ohio and shanked a drive HARD to the left. The disc didn't even leave my hand until my arm was straight out from my body, sideways. Fortunately nobody was in the area, so the only thing it resulted in was embarrassment for me.:doh:

When I first started playing I grip locked and hit the bill of my dads hat. I missed his face by about an inch. We all learned to stand well back that day. lol

Yeah, tg it was only your gut... those drivers scare the sh*t outta me. I'm always careful at courses with overlapping fairways just in case I'm innocently wandering around on my fairway and someone drives off at another hole....whammo I'm done for.

It always surpises me when I see ppl standing right next to the tee... happens all the time. I usually get well out of the way...

This happened to me at a mini putt putt place when I was a kid. I was standing next to my friend when he was putting and for some reason he wailed on that ball like he was at a driving range... he swung around and knocked me right above my eye... one emergency room visit later and now I am forever cautious about these sorts of things.

Sorry u got whacked, but u probably won't make that mistake again! I was at a local park yesterday throwing at the garbage cans. There was a line of cars parked to my right, but I had room to the left to throw (or so I thought). I aimed a good 40 to 45 degrees to the left of the cars, but griplocked my shot and ended up about 5 feet from one of the cars! d'oh

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who has committed the dreaded (and embarrassing) griplock of death! The lesson was indeed well learned, hopefully for everyone there. You know, it is amazing how much one of these things hurts, even out of the hand of a little kid!

My daughter did that to me twice in one round a while back. Both times I was standing only a few feet in front of her lie, but well away from it to the side -- 25-30 feet away at least, and at, say, an 80-degree angle to the right (between 2 and 3 o'clock). After the first one, I was trying to be more careful about staying behind her, but by the 16th hole I was tired and when I realized I'd passed her lie, I was just too lazy to walk back behind it. "Besides," I thought, "there's no way she'll do that again." At which point I took a DX Leopard to the left bicep.

My daughter did that to me twice in one round a while back. Both times I was standing only a few feet in front of her lie, but well away from it to the side -- 25-30 feet away at least, and at, say, an 80-degree angle to the right (between 2 and 3 o'clock). After the first one, I was trying to be more careful about staying behind her, but by the 16th hole I was tired and when I realized I'd passed her lie, I was just too lazy to walk back behind it. "Besides," I thought, "there's no way she'll do that again." At which point I took a DX Leopard to the left bicep.

haha, u gotta luv kids! I bet she thought it was funny--lol.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who has committed the dreaded (and embarrassing) griplock of death! The lesson was indeed well learned, hopefully for everyone there. You know, it is amazing how much one of these things hurts, even out of the hand of a little kid!

Did u mention before what kind of disc it was? I wonder how much damage a disc could do to a car? I was throwing a 150g Leopard, so I like to think it couldn't have TOO much damage. But I'm glad I didn't have to find out!

Did u mention before what kind of disc it was? I wonder how much damage a disc could do to a car? I was throwing a 150g Leopard, so I like to think it couldn't have TOO much damage. But I'm glad I didn't have to find out!

sorry, I didn't mention. It was my Katana, which is way too much disc for him, but he refuses to believe that.

twice in one round, sheesh. I know what you mean about being too lazy to walk back. Sorry you took a couple of shots.

Saw a youngster grip-lock straight back and nail an adult in the head. No direction is safe, but some are safer than others. If a righty is throwing backhand, back and to the left is probably safest.

Saw a youngster grip-lock straight back and nail an adult in the head. No direction is safe, but some are safer than others. If a righty is throwing backhand, back and to the left is probably safest.

yeah, I think maybe I should consider the throwing style when planning where to stand.

"back and to the left..." you reminded me of watching the movie JFK while in high school.

"back and to the left..." you reminded me of watching the movie JFK while in high school.

I almost included a reference but figured no one would get it. Guess we've got a well-rounded community here!

Latest posts