• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova: Star plastic observations

hangwind

Eagle Member
Been at it for a year and am starting to look at disc aero/characteristics and trying to hone in on the fuzzy details...

Most of my bag is champion and a couple of discs are plastic. I use 150 class for most of my choices and have 167's for heavier versions. I like star plastic but am realizing that there are some real differences in flight characteristics between star and champ in the same disc and weight.

I use white and yellow for finding my discs, these colors work for me and differentiate from the guys I usually meet with.

Champion molds are near perfect far as profiles go, flex of flight plate varies little to none when inspecting a disc to purchase and after hundreds of throws/bashes.

Star molds are near perfect in white but in yellow, I have found that discs in the 150 class have worbles in flight plates (from three different stores). A bubble on one side or a depression, the yellow in star for 150 class is out for me. White molds look good and I have no problem ordering online without inspecting first.

I believe that the profile of a disc is important to maintain uniformity in order for the disc to really carry it's performance and described flght characteristics.

I've read that Star plastic will change as you use the disc more.

What I feel from my year of regular play is that Star plastic feels "heavier" and throws that way compared to champion. A 150 class seems heavier, not in hand, in flight. My champions just haven't changed at all, albeit the oldest disc that I've kept in my bag gets irregularly flown/thrown over the six months I've had it. But from what I see, champion does not change yet...

Any comments or observations?

Anything match what I am describe?

So you ruled out an entire color based on your experience with a few discs? I'm confused.

If you want to make rational generalities for the various premium plastics on the market, you will probably have to use a better sampling than a handful of 150 weight discs from three stores. There are a lot of factors that play into disc flight characteristics. The "worbles" you referred to probably have more to do with form (OAT?) than craftsmanship. Just my thoughts.

I prefer the star plastic. It's a grip thing. It also appears to me that the star Teebird has a little more glide than the champion. At least that's my experience. (new star compared to 11X champion).

I tend to prefer Champion plastic because it is plenty grippy for me, flies the way its supposed to, is more durable, and even cheaper. One of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things for me. Although I have liked a few molds slightly more in Star than Champion. Just a few though.

for me, champ plastic = fh
star = bh

There are so many variations within star and champion plastic that it's pretty unrealistic to say that one type of plastic gives better grip than another.

Someone said something like this in another thread
Hard Star plastic = yuck
Hard Champ plastic = meh
Gummy Star plastic = good
Gummy Champ = $$$$$$

I couldn't agree more.

Base plastic (DX, Pro-D, Sure Grip, etc.) is my favorite. That may change in a week or three, but right now that's where I'm at. It has the best grip, and most of the molds I throw were originally made in base type plastic. I seriously dig some DX Eagles. I have observed that Champ style usually seems to be the most overstable, with Star a little less so, and that Star beats in a little quicker.

Champion is more durable, but I have real problems gripping it. So, IMO, Star > Champion.

Same here, I love the 'gummy' feel of the star plastic, but I have had * discs that get quite a gash from one spike hit on a rock or something. Champion has always handled similar hits much better in my experience.

Hehe, I am the exact opposite. Love me some ESP and Champ, meh on Star and Elite Z. Just goes to prove everyone is different.

If I could have a Teebird in Elite Z, I'd make a life long commitment to it.

That and a Buzzz in star.... I shouldn't think about these things.

Cold shower time.

So you ruled out an entire color based on your experience with a few discs? I'm confused.

One type mold (Valkyrie) YELLOW in 150 class from three different stores. Maybe a lot number? But only 150. Didn't see that in heavier discs of Star Yellow.

I haven't read any other responses or the rest of yours yet.

The "worbles" you referred to probably have more to do with form (OAT?) than craftsmanship. Just my thoughts.

he said worbles in the flight plate, not in their flight.
i'd imagine there are more plastic inconsistencies in 150 class discs since the they are either thinner or have more substitute polymers to make them lighter.

There are so many variations within star and champion plastic that it's pretty unrealistic to say that one type of plastic gives better grip than another.

Someone said something like this in another thread
Hard Star plastic = yuck
Hard Champ plastic = meh
Gummy Star plastic = good
Gummy Champ = $$$$$$

I couldn't agree more.

congratulations to the only guy that gave a useful opinion so far in this thread!

:clap::clap:

to the OP:
champ plastic generally tends to be more stable than star.
champ plastic beats in more slowly than star. any type of plastic will change its flight characteristics over time but champ will change the most slowly.

that champs tend to be more stable may explain why they seem to feel "heavier" to you. a more stable disc will generally get less glide.

oops! sorry guys, these were good comments too.
:D

I have observed that Champ style usually seems to be the most overstable, with Star a little less so, and that Star beats in a little quicker.

Champion has always handled similar hits much better in my experience.

perhaps i shouldn't be so quick to be so snarky
:doh:

When I go to buy a disc, I look at it for uniformity. Here in AZ, it is hot, really hot.

I've seen Star Valkeryies in 150 that had an uneven flight plate at three different stores.

Someone has one, wonder if they have that in theirs.

I wonder if anyone feels that the discs fly different, champion to star or DX?

A couple of you touched on that, thank you.

Glide---> DX, Pro, Champ, Star
Durability---> Champ, Star, Pro, DX
Grip---> Pro, Star, DX, Champ

My choice would be Pro plastic, followed by DX and Star. I don't really care for Champion plastic, unless it's gummy. I do like gummy champ. For me it's all about the glide.

Latest posts