• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Interesting Idea, What do you think?

Fazor1

Par Member
Some of the guys around here have a lighter (like 150 class) putter of the same mold that they use for slightly longer putts. Their reason is that they can putt the same way and it'll give them the extra 5+ feet with the extra glide.

What do you guys think of this idea? Also, do we know if any of the top rated pros are doing this, or do they simply just putt harder/higher?

I've been tossing the idea around.

Fazor said:
Some of the guys around here have a lighter (like 150 class) putter of the same mold that they use for slightly longer putts. Their reason is that they can putt the same way and it'll give them the extra 5+ feet with the extra glide.

What do you guys think of this idea? Also, do we know if any of the top rated pros are doing this, or do they simply just putt harder/higher?

I've been tossing the idea around.
150 is a bit light, I think most longtime DGR folk have tried the 165 weight range (mainly wizards) at Blakes recommendation (i am actually considering going back to them now for my main putter). if you want to do this with good results id say use a putter mold on the overstable side

I have had FABULOUS luck with 150 putters. And mids and drivers and...
Beat 150 putters will give you more than 5 extra feet! I have a well worn Aviar P'n'A that is super duper easy to float in from 50' out.

One of our local "pro's" putts with a 135 gram wizard, he tried to sell him one as well. He hits putts nice and long until there is any breeze at all, then switches to max weight, and misses everything. I like them beat, vs lighter.

I;ve got a 129 wizard and it's kinda scary. I've had chains deflect it on a straight shot and bounce out of the basket. The extra bit of glide is nice but 129g might just be too little.

I've seen Hysell putt from almost 100' out with the same disc. That leads me to believe that if you're having problems putting from longer distance, then you need to adjust how you throw, not what you throw. When you get to those really long putts (60'+) I don't know that whatever disc you use is going to help as much as the consistency and quality of your form. It's low odds from the start. But if you have better form, perhaps discs under 60', in the 30'-50' range might have more juice and be easier?

I know that I was able to push my distance out past 35' just by learning what I'd guess Feldberg calls a spin putt. That and the floater both have their value, but switching to a lighter putter would throw off your lines unless it was your main putter. At which point, you might suffer in lots of wind even more than those with heavier putters.

domromer said:
I;ve got a 129 wizard and it's kinda scary. I've had chains deflect it on a straight shot and bounce out of the basket. The extra bit of glide is nice but 129g might just be too little.

I've had that happen with max weight putters, too.

I tried to like 150 class putters...They're SO much fun to throw, and can drain putts from INSANE distance...the problem is they also kite around (ie- get blown around by the wind) like you wouldn't believe.

It's worth trying, to help you get an understanding of what you have to do in order to get a light, floaty shot...but I wouldn't count on them in tournaments.

No Bob this wasn't a regular deflection. The disc hit the chains head on...the chains did not move...the disc simply defected without stirring the chains. yesterday was the first day I used it. I'll mess with it more today as I have my 150 bag all together now.

When I'm having an off day putting with my Aviar, sometimes I use my 168 Buzz and use the extra glide when I know I'm out a little farther from my max putting distance. But two each is his own... if it works, why fix it... :lol:

I carry a 160s QMS for this kind of shot. I can toss it like a putter and it will just glide straight at the target. I tried this with some low weight Aviars before and didn't get the same result. The key is to get something putter-esque in shape that can glide a little and will sit if you miss. A light Gummy QMS rocks for this.

Pat said:
What are some good glidey putters? Magnet? Aviars?
When your Magnets and Aviars get a little beat then they will glide better. It's not that they're not BAD when they are new; I'd say they are average gliders.

For glidier putters I'd say Magic and APX.

Pat said:
i like that idea. What are some good glidey putters? Magnet? Aviars?

Try a 160-165 QMS. Trust me. Just try it. There are a few folks on here that use the QMS for this. You can run at the chains with these and the thing will just hold the line. Unlike "real" putters that are glidey and less stable, you can still put some A behind the QMS. Real versatile. Additionally, the mold is quite comfortable with a fan grip or other putter type grip, as well as power focused grips.

If you pick one up and don't like it, I'll take it off your hands. Just get a gummy!

I recently started doing this when I switched from Voodoo's to Aviars. It works great. I carry a 172 Aviar for normal putts and a 150 for longer putts. That way I don't have to change my style and I have been making more longer putts.

I'd say aviars are have more glide than magnets. If you get a magnet nose down at all, it's gonna drop really fast.

This is really going out there but when I get into a putting funk and start pitching everything into the ground, I pull out the Drone and start putting that with a little extra on it. The Drone's fade is so predictable that I can really count on it from 35 feet and under, especially if there is wind. I can also count on it to fade directly into the ground if it misses and usually less than 15 feet from the basket, making the return putt easy.

I have a Z Buzzz that holds a pretty good putting line too.

I have also tried Meteors, Comets, and Cros but they have been very hit and miss. I am just as likely going to drain a long putt as I am going to miss the putt and find myself just as far away on the opposite side of the basket. Try floating them and I have no accuracy and I really open myself up to the wind.

I have gone from Rhynos, to Spikes, to Challengers, to Pures, to JuJus, and now to Wizards. Putters just hate me in general. I now have several 175g Wizards and come Hell and high water I am going to make them work. I am tired with experimenting with putters (and with mids in attempts to use them instead of putters).