• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Intermediate (2 yrs exp) form - RHBH

GUY_FIERI

Hello :D
Started playing roughly a year ago and have played a ton of rounds with the boys. I have never had my form analyzed and now is the time.
Here are two drives, one flat and one hyzer. I notice I have no reachback whatsoever. How can I start working on that effectively? Is there anything else that stands out?
I probably am only getting 300-350 on my biggest luckiest throws, but haven't really gotten accurate measures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRdzjcK79zA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxiM60kaiA8

Last edited:
I should also mention (it's really visible in my hyzer throw video) I sometimes see a lot of wobble coming out of my throws, and I'm assuming there is a fair amount of off-axis torque.
I think this is a newer issue caused by my thumb being too close to the edge of the disc. I've been experimenting with a lot of fine details and definitely need to get that thumb a little more central.
Any other tips on this would be appreciated too :)

1st step with right foot is backwards, and then you turn right foot(and body) way open into the plant. You want to reverse that so the right foot steps pointed targetward and then turns back away while striding into plant. You also step way too far to the left/closed into the plant.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118948

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 11.58.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 11.58.10 PM.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 61
1st step with right foot is backwards, and then you turn right foot(and body) way open into the plant. You want to reverse that so the right foot steps pointed targetward and then turns back away while striding into plant. You also step way too far to the left/closed into the plant.

Weight Shift From Behind You

attachment.php

SW22 I hope you have been doing well for yourself :)
It has been almost 18 months and I have been playing a lot of disc golf. Most of it casual rounds, a few tournaments, and a good amount of time focused on field work and slowing things down.
I still find my biggest issue is probably footwork leading to somewhat (or a lot) of a "horse stance."

- angle from behind

- angle from the side

My current goal is trying to extend my plant foot more, and embrace the brace. If I can figure out my footwork first, I will work on my upper body next.

Do you notice anything in particular I should focus on? I think a lot about the battering ram analogy and try to visualize that during most of my throws, which helps to slow down sometimes. For reference, I am now throwing 340-380' with ease. Maybe half of my attempts will go past 400', and I have measured a few full flights out to around 440'. I see a lot of improvement from the film last year but the horse stance still frustrates me and I don't know the best way to escape/break it. I also notice I still plant my right foot at a large stagger from my left foot. I can't tell if this is ok for my throw or if I should really try to reduce the amount of stagger. In this clips I linked, I was consciously trying to plant my left foot more horizontal, and put my right with less stagger, but my body overrode what I thought it was doing. Keeping my body forward facing until the coil begins has helped (maybe placebo effect) me feel like I am throwing the same distance with less effort. Clearly there is still a lot of potential power in my legs that I can't quite figure out.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may give :)

You look quite quick and are getting a lot out of your whippy action, but you aren't getting postures/sequence using the most powerful parts of your body to throw. Imagine what will happen if you do both!

yes, you get all your weight trapped on the rear leg power/horse-stanced. Horse stance is more about your fundamental balance than footwork per se, so I might explore this first:

I'd be spending some time on Door Frame Drill(s), Load the Bow, and related moves. You are never fully pulled taut in the backswing. You want you throwing shoulder needs to get behind the other shoulder and rear hip more like Simon or Wiggins. Let the frame coil you all the way back loading through your core like a medicine ball toss and shift athletic/quick but relaxed into the plant. You want to feel more like your ass is leading toward the line.

1694546339553.png

BTW, I think that your superhero rear arm is basically just counterbalancing other problems in your throw. Notice how your rear elbow is pointed up to the sky and Wiggins' and Simon's are more toward the ground. Could also just keep it closer to rear hip while working on your balance for now.

Yeah, you are turning your front foot open(Toe Up Hip Swing) instead of closed(Toe Down Hip Swing - see 4min in first video) into the plant. You are landing too far east/right of your front foot behind your heel looking down tee line.

I have been throwing into a net a ton since my last post and spent a few weeks focusing on standstills/one-steppers. I am working the x-step back in and I'm happy with the change/progress in my footwork. On good throws, I can feel the hip engagement at the start of the throw, which is a new sensation for me. I only have side-view footage this time but hoping it is enough to get a few pointers on how to proceed. Out in the field I am throwing just as far as before (390-420 consistently) with what feels like less effort. I know there's a lot here to clean up but curious to hear the thoughts from people in the forum.

Second clip of a couple standstills and slower x-steps. I like the timing and footwork better on these:

As always thank you in advance for any feedback :)

Last edited:
1. Looks like you are throwing downward.

2. You are leaning back quite a bit going into the stride and leading with your front foot instead of your center of mass/hips.