• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Iron man dye idea

RamboJR

Hey everyone.
My friends birthday is comin' up, and he is a huge Avengers fan, especially Iron man. So I was thinking about doing a dye with Iron man on either a white champion disc or a glow disc for his present. My inspiration, will be the pic below. As for colours, i am not sure, if I should use the Yellow 447 or the Bright yellow 455. As for the red i am naturally thinking that the Red 449 will do just fine :)
Then I'll just let the eyes stay the color of the disc. Please tell me if it seems like I'm off to a decent start?
iron_man_flat_wallpaper_by_pajacyk200-d7nb28t.png

As for colours, i am not sure, if I should use the Yellow 447 or the Bright yellow 455. As for the red i am naturally thinking that the Red 449 will do just fine :)

I thought I knew of basically all the dye brands people use, but I have no clue what yellow 455 or red 449 is.

I would probably use idye golden yellow and a red mix of idye red and prochemicals bright red.

First off, welcome to the threads! After a quick google, it looks like those numbers represent colors of iDye Poly, and both are the ones that roggen recommended, so you're on the right track!

Should be a sick dye! You could even get the glow effect from the center out using a spinner or wiping only the edges and quickly wiping the dye off with a clean rag and moving inward until it blends into the brighter center. It takes a while (and a lot of cotton rags as not to scratch the disc) but it leaves a cool effect.

Thank you for the input :)
This will be my first dye ever, and I'm doing everything I can to understand the process. But right now I am wondering how to do the dye itself. I know that had it been black and yellow, I could've just first dyed the black part and then right afterwards the yellow. But I can't imagine that it would work with red and yellow. So what is the process? Do I dye either the red or the yellow, take off, all of the vinyl and the reapply vinyl to the newly dyed areas? Of course the eyes will be covered all the way through the process to ensure that they stay white.

First, my experience is with the regular iDye Yellow rather than Golden Yellow, so keep that in mind.

I think you should be able to dye the red first and then do the yellow without re-masking. The yellow shouldn't affect the red very much. Since I tend to have trouble getting a deep enough yellow, I'd be tempted to make a thin outline in red or black around the eyes, just to add a little more contrast between the yellow and white.

I think yellow on top of red would be fine. It will change it minimally, but I doubt you'll really notice it. The analogy to paint is pretty close - if you mix up a 50/50 mix of red and yellow paint it is just going to look red, albeit slightly more orangey.

You just have to decide if all the work of remasking is worth a couple shades.

If it is only a couple of shades, I won't mind. I was afraid it would maybe turn the red orange. I'll try it without remasking.
I'll try the contrast around the eyes :)
Should I let the yellow color dye longer than 10 min, to get a decent Yellow?

You can definitely dye yellow over red. I've done it a lot. Adjust your time to get the shade you want. Don't go by any hard and fast rule of time. Dye it, check it. put it back in if you want it darker.

roggenb3, You recommended the golden yellow, but since I live in Denmark, the only place I could find the iDye was on a Brittish website, and they only had the regular yellow one. I hope it'll turn out nice anyway :)

roggenb3, You recommended the golden yellow, but since I live in Denmark, the only place I could find the iDye was on a Brittish website, and they only had the regular yellow one. I hope it'll turn out nice anyway :)

I'm sure it will be fine. Golden yellow is just a bit darker. Be sure to show us how it turns out. :popcorn:

I will :)
I got in touch with one of the dyers on this site, that was danish too, and he referred me to a website, that was better than the one i found in the first place. So now I have ordered the Golden one as well, I have a feeling that this will get addicting, so I might as well gear up ;)

Okay, so I just got the red iDye in the mail, and since this Iron man dye is going to be a gift, I wanted to do a test disc. I found my yellow putter, and thought that it would be perfect since i didn't have the yellow color. This is my first dye ever, so BEWARE, there are quite a lot of bleeding, but non the less, I'm actually liking my new Pure Iron man putter :)
23vxs03.jpg

Very nicely done! There bleeds are all quite minor, so there is great pride to be taken in your first dye.

Cheers!

Thanks Reniger :)
A lot of the bleeding is caused by the contact paper quality, it tore when trying do even out the bubbles. So now I've ordered som oracal 651, I hope it'll handle better.

I did it! And I'm very pleased! Thank you all for guidance :) Does any of you know a good way to do a Glowpicture, when I turn off the lights the picture comes put quite blurry.

Last edited: