• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Joplin, MO

discgolfer09

Bogey Member
Gonna be up that way soon, and wanna know if there is a course in Joplin. I heard there is one in Neosho(spell check), but im not for sure.

Are there any courses that would be worth playin on the way up/back?

Thanks

Joplin has a 27 hole course and its fun. There is some elevation, long and short holes. The baskets suck ass.

I haven't played Neosho, but I've heard good things.

Tulsa is on the way and there are a lot of good courses there.

Miami is good, I helped design it, but it's changed some since then.

Norman has 2 good ones as well/

played the 4 states open on this course yesterday.

baskets are HORRIBLE. buckets are too low to the ground and i saw at least 15-20 putts in my groups hit dead center and come straight back out or hit dead center and spit right through the back of the chains. with decent baskets this course would probably be one of my favorites; as they are now, i'm surprised the pdga even lets them hold sanctioned events on them.

tons of local sandbaggers too.

phisherman77 said:

baskets are HORRIBLE. buckets are too low to the ground and i saw at least 15-20 putts in my groups hit dead center and come straight back out or hit dead center and spit right through the back of the chains. with decent baskets this course would probably be one of my favorites; as they are now, i'm surprised the pdga even lets them hold sanctioned events on them.

Didn't look like there was too much sandbagging going on in your division.

I played the tournament as well yesterday. The baskets are terrible. You have to learn how to put very softly. Definitely some sandbagging going on but not terribly. It would be one of my favorite courses as well if not for the baskets.

Furthur said:
phisherman77 said:

Didn't look like there was too much sandbagging going on in your division.

there was sandbagging in every division. rec had a few, pretty obvious if you've seen the scores. Int had a few and Adv was bad too, 1st place finisher would've gotten 2nd in open.

doesn't matter anyways, the baskets soured the experience for me, not all the bagging going on. just a little odd to be under par and fighting for last cash in Int.

since i'm such a notorious sandbagger around KC, i get the privilege of calling this BS out ;)

4 states.. haha. A lot of the top 5 Rec players were sandbaggers. I believe if you place in top 3 on all your tournaments, or even WIN one you should move up. It's that simple. I know int has some idiots as well, but that's not for me to judge either way.

I played awful. *insert reasoning*. I really didn't enjoy the alt 9 either.Overall it was a well run tournament, russ does an awesome job. The baskets were my main screw up though. First round I had at least 5 birdies I would have had but even on middle chains they would find a way to slip out. Oh well, everyone has to play with them, so it's nothing to get upset about.

I would say Neosho > Joplin though. i really like that course. Miami is okay too, as long as it's not flooded haha.

Joplin is one of the very few places where blaming the baskets is acceptable. MIami would be one of those too.

dgdave said:
Joplin is one of the very few places where blaming the baskets is acceptable. MIami would be one of those too.

Well in that case.

"4 states pissed me off. I could have had 5-7 birdies per round from easy 20-30ft putts but noooo. These were all middle chains too. It's frustrating knowing you played well, but your scores show otherwise because of some metal contraption. I actually let early while everyone was getting their prizes and stuff. Which isn't like me. An hour drive home didn't help my sanity either. Rawrrr"

Thanks dave, I needed that...

As far as courses in missouri not in KC or STL, Joplin is pretty good, shitty baskets aside. Didnt make it to the tourney, so i cant comment on the baggers, cough Jarmin cough. IMO joplin blows Neosho out of the water, Neosho is like a flatter watkins IMO, with more OB. Not a bad course, just not as good.

I'm looking to be in Joplin Wednesday morning if anyone is up for playing. I plan on being there all day and checking out the pro shop. Looks like the weather is going to be nice, otherwise Thursday morning. Is the course finally upgraded after the tornado action?

Sean40474 said:
I'm looking to be in Joplin Wednesday morning if anyone is up for playing. I plan on being there all day and checking out the pro shop. Looks like the weather is going to be nice, otherwise Thursday morning. Is the course finally upgraded after the tornado action?

The course didn't receive much damage from the tornado, but the baskets were recently replaced with Monkey Traps made by Russ Burns.