• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Journey

Kevdude82

Par Member
After seeing some positive reviews on fb on this disc, I decided to order one and give it a try. After throwing it for most of my round today, I have to say that this may now become my go-to max D disc. It has a ton of glide, slight amount of turn, and plenty stable enough to hook up at the end. When thrown flat, it carries straight for a long time with a gentle finish. It holds an anny line very well without becoming stable too early. the diamond plastic feels amazing! It feels a lot like 11x plastic. I highly recommend giving this mold a try! My flight numbers on it would be 11 5 -1 2. Anyone else throwing Journeys out there?

I just had one arrive in the mail. I haven't been throwing anything above speed 9, my Teebirds and Escape get out to about 340-360', but I've been thinking it's time to play with some faster stuff.
I'll try get out to the field this afternoon with it and report back.

Definitely a worthy mold from Gateway. Like the OP mentioned...tons of glide...a little bit of turn and a reliable hyzer finish back. The flight kind of reminds me of a lightly worn Pro Wraith.

My arm speed/form isn't really getting these up to speed yet. I think I was throwing is 300-320' or so. Similar to my wraith, but with less fade, at those distances.

I had a little more success today with the Journey, I really focussed on nose down and tried to give it a little more height. It definitely has some turn, but still likes to come back. Flying fairly neautral for me, I think there's some potential here

Been hearing lots of good things about the journey. Gateway is a great company. Thanks for the review. Just ordered 2 for myself.

Drug up an old thread to talk about the Journey a little bit.

Tried one of these for the first time today. Diamond plastic, 176g. Numbers on the disc are 12, 6, -1, 1. The plastic is absolutely beautiful, and has this glittery appearance. Nice dome.

The Journey seems to be a pretty mellow driver. It'll turn fairly decently on hard rips, and has an almost nonexistent late fade. If I had to compare it to something it'd be a Wraith with more turn and less late fade. Also compares well to a Thrasher.

The rim on the Journey is not remarkably wide, and I don't think this thing is quite the speed 12 disc as advertised. Still, the Journey ended up doing pretty well. It takes power decently and can be pushed out for fairly nice yardage. My best throws were all flat or very slight anny releases. I also hyzerflipped the Journey a couple times into a slight headwind. I feel like this is a fairly easy disc to learn, and it will perform decently no matter how you throw it. The Journey glides very well, and seems floaty at times. Beautiful S curves with just the gentlest late fade.

Final thoughts: The Journey is a good option that most people here have probably never seen, heard of, or will ever throw. I'd liken the Journey to a glidier, longer, mellower Wraith. It turns easier and fades much later and subtler than a Wraith. The Journey is not really a headwind disc. At times the Journey would flip over and not come back.

Journey: 11, 6, -2, 1. I found the Journey to be slower and have a little more turn than advertised. Top distance was about 440', and it would have been more if this disc were a little faster. I won't call the Journey slow or sluggish, but you do definitely notice the lack of speed when you really bear down and go for power. The Journey is not really a flippy disc, but will definitely go blazing off to the right if you get too jerky or assertive with it. Glide is legit. The Journey will float better than most other drivers of this speed. Not a headwind disc. Fun driver for full power hyzerflips or high, slightly anny releases.

Last edited:
At your power level I think you would also like a Gateway Apex. The Apex has little more hss and fade.
Fwiw Gateway recently updated their flight chart, the Journey and Apex are now listed as 11.5 speeds.

I liked the Spear so much that I decided to grab a 170 Diamond Journey yesterday. I agree with "Wraith but less fade" characterization. It shall be bagged.

Curious about the Apex and Assassin now.