• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lastchancer88 ITB

Lastchancer88

Birdie Member
32, M, mainly RHBH with very usable FH and ok OH.

Been playing for a year and a half.

Average distance is about 250 with putters, 280 with midranges, and 320 with drivers or so. Max distance is around 370'. I'm working on a strong arming problem to increase distance.

Bag: Gripeq BX2

Putters:
Lunas 173g x2 love how straight these putt and the slight give to the plastic
Star Aviar 174g for throwing
dx aviarx3 172g

Mids:
biofuzion fugitive 171g flippy
(neo origin 180g)
dx roc 180g stable/os
(c-line md3 175g)

Driver:
dx teebird 173g
(champ teebird 175g)
fuzion escape 171g straight
(star thunderbird 163g)
(c-line fd3 167g)
pro beast 171g pretty beat
champion beast 171g newer pretty stable
duraflex f model us 174g fairly beat in
esp anax 172g pretty beat but still fades great. forehand fav
(champ krait 171g slightly beat in)
dx destroyer 172g flippy, but rides well when thrown hyzerflip
(pro destroyers 166g,175g)

Discs in parenthesis are not in bag currently due to speed or overstability. I'm still working through what I like and don't like. Eventually I'd like to have a minimal a bag with multiple versions of similar molds.

Seems like anything over 170g gains too much stability in premium plastics for me.

Any suggestions are welcome as well as any tips from folks who've progressed past where I currently am!

Oh man has my bag changed. First of all, sorry for the horrible and complicated way I spelled it out the first time. This one is much more cut and dry.

Starting at putters and working up in speed and stability:

173g - Discraft Lunas (2)
175g - R Pro Pig

177g - Discmania Neo Origin
180g - Innova bottom stamp Roc
180g - Innova KCPro Roc

174g - Prodigy F5 400
171g - Innova PFN Star Teebird
167g - Innova Champ Thunderbird
166g - Discmania C-line FD3
171g - Innova Champ Beast
169g - Innova Star Wraith (12x)
175g - Innova Halo Star Wraith

I can't believe how different wraith's and destroyers are. I had to really flip or flex the destroyers but I can throw this new to me 12x wraith almost dead straight. I got tired of messing with drivers and started using my Thunderbird for most drives since it does the same flight every time and wow did that lower my scores. The Halo star wraith is very new and I got it mainly for windy days since I know it to be more stable especially in a higher weight.

The pig! Wow what a difference that disc has made as well. I tried a champ rhyno and I liked it well enough but it didn't have that dump and sit that I wanted. I was possibly going to get a tactic or zone, but then the Play It Again nearest to me had that pig and used star wraith and it just feels all is right with the world.

Just shot a personal best round so now feels like a good time to record the bag:

Putters:
2x Proto P2's (Really like the grippy base plastic feel of these)
beat up soft Link
*Soft Envy

Mids:
ESP Zone
*Z Comet
Neo Origin
C-line MD3

Drivers:
*MVP Hokom Crave
Royal Rage 2 Instinct
ESP Heat
*Color Glow Firebird
C-line PD

*marks current favorites.

No big distance drivers currently. I did just get a used g* shryke that I'm diggin' but right now I'm refocusing the basics of my form and distance drivers activate all the muscles instead of keepin' it smooth. I went through a lot of 11-13 speeds before realizing it wasn't the discs fault. Even if I have touched 400', it wasn't repeatable. Currently delving into Philo-ism and restraining myself from making my bag more like his lol.

End of season:

2 d-line p2's
Big z luna
s-line p3x
neo origin
metal flake chariot
c-line md5
MVP Hokom Crave
c-line FD
star sidewinder
Sexton Firebird
Proto Anax
Star Wraith
Metal Flake Pharoah

(trying out a z thrasher and jawbreaker rattler I just won in a ctp)

Went a little bonkers this year trying out new discs from a lot of companies. I think it hurt my game not having consistency. For the next year I'm going to try and keep the same bag. For fun I decided to trade some extras I had for all one company. I love 400 plastic and have always enjoyed their discs so I went with Prodigy. I know how funny it sounds to do this, especially not sponsored, but it's an experiment. I'll probably lose more discs this year than ever before :eyeroll:

300 PA4 (Putting putter. Straight. Made more 40 footers with this in the last couple months than I did all year with p2s)
300 PA3 (nice stable throwing putter)
500 A3 (overstable whistling approach disc. Very reliable)
400G M4 (nice straight mid. I'll be leaning on this heavily)
400S M3 (just a bit more stable, but beat in so fairly straight)
500 M2 (Splatter, cool look, very firm, nice consistent fade)
400g F5 (the money hyzer flipper, just be careful cause it only comes back a little aka -2,1)
400 F3 (the reliable straight fairway aka -1,2)
500 F2 (the bomber fairway, or back off for slightly more fade)
400 FX2 (This thing is beef. Don't love the feel so it may not stay)
400g H5 (pretty good roller, pretty great hyzer flipper)
400 H4V2 (S-curve machine)
400G H3V2 (reliable control driver, goes straight for quite a while and then fades softly)
400 D4 (new to the bag, will probably be my main distance driver in good conditions)
400 D2 (Overstable for me, but hoping by summer it'll be a little beat in and I'll be better at tossin' this all over)

So the all Prodigy thing went out the window pretty quickly. The Putters started the issue. I fell in love with some CT jawbreaker challengers and couldn't go back. I like where my head was at with the idea, but I've come to the conclusion that having fewer discs, and trusting the lines you throw with those is more important than not changing your bag up or whatever. I know most of my discs in the bag and just at home at this point, and know better than swapping stuff out day before a tourney or something. That being said a decent number stuck around, and I really enjoy them.

2 x ct jb challengers for putting
jawbreaker rattlr
soft envy
wombat3
esp buzz
esp zone
c-line md5
400g f5
400 f3
esp heat
mf champ roadrunner
color glow firebird
star wraith
400 D2

I like those choices, but I may be biased. :D

I have not thrown a Heat, but thought that Heat and Roadrunner were similar. What differences do you see between the two?

Those two are just such reliable discs. The soft envy is such a nice plastic to grip when throwing as well. I keep trying to like premium plastic for throwing putters and it just doesn't come out the same.

I'm up a bit in elevation (3000+), so turning discs is a bit harder. My ESP heat has a nice flip to it, but can be a little finicky for me as the hyzer angle required for a straight flight is more than I comfortably use. The MF roadrunner currently hits that spot well. So for now they both stay, with the heat being a disc I typically throw a bit higher for an s curve, and the roadrunner can be thrown a bit more line drive with the hyzerflip. I imagine a few more trees and they may become too similar, but their wings are currently different enough to cover 2 shots.

The heat for me is what I wish a sidewinder was out of the box. But a lot of sidewinders I've tried are pretty stable instead of slightly understable like I'd like. I imagine a regular star roadrunner is probably what I'd like, just haven't tried one.

I keep trying to like premium plastic for throwing putters and it just doesn't come out the same.

Same. I use a looser grip for less-than-full-power approach shots, so I also prefer soft grippy plastics for putters.

I'm up a bit in elevation (3000+), so turning discs is a bit harder.

Makes sense, thanks! First time I played at elevation I was shocked how much difference a few thousand feet make.

The heat for me is what I wish a sidewinder was out of the box. But a lot of sidewinders I've tried are pretty stable instead of slightly understable like I'd like. I imagine a regular star roadrunner is probably what I'd like, just haven't tried one.

If you want a Roadrunner on the flippier end of the scale, you might want to check out G* plastic. G* breaks in more quickly, too.

And yes, when I threw Sidewinders they took a fair amount of breaking in to get that nice understable flight at my less-than-awesome distance.

Picked up a beat up star roadrunner from the local shop. Threw it all over the place this weekend on holes I shouldn't have even just to try. This is my new go to driver. I now fully understand the trust a lot of people put in the hyzerflip. What a cool disc.

Got hurt, took a month off. Came back and wanted to start fresh and easy.

Minimal bag is the truth!

rubber blend Luna for putting
sparkle Z Luna for throwing
ESP Buzzz
ESP Passion
Big Z Predator

This is my version of Garublador's minimal bag. I went out after a month of not playing to heal up and threw a better round than my best so far this season (on that course anyway). Gonna stick with this until I find shots I can't make or my technique improves drastically. Adjusting from there. Most likely an OS approach and a distance driver at some point, but I'm pretty happy with trying this for a while.