• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

'League Play' in Canton, Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

zealot

Double Eagle Member
read the whole thing if you're gonna comment

So on Tuesday, after the cajoling of my 'friend' I decided to go play in a league that I wasn't planning on attending b/c of how I felt about how it was run. The guy that runs it apparently doesn't like me, which is fine. There ended up being four of us who threw in 5 bucks a head and played singles instead of doubles. Sweet. (note: the TD and my friend work together, and are cool with eachother) Everything started off fine, TD (if you can call him that) in 1st, Me in 2nd, and my friend in 3rd. As I started to make up some strokes the guy in 1st started making up distractions. I had to ask for silence during my throws, and it wasn't totally granted. There were even some sound fx being made right when I started my x-step on a hole. On hole 11 of 24 my friend whos only a few strokes behind throws a great upshot at a hole on a hill. It shouldn't have gone too far past so the guy in 1st says 'I'll grab it for you'. No big deal except when I get up there the disc is like a dozen feet from the hole and the guy in 1st picks up anyways. So now I'm in the position of having to ask my friend to come back from the next tee to throw his shot. He came back, shot from closer to the hole than his disc even was and missed the shot. Somehow I'm made out to be the bad guy.
So then I start making up more strokes, playing my game and letting others' play theirs. I could sense the TD's tension building and very soon thereafter he starts slinging out even more nasty jokes than he was before as well as getting as close as he can to directly insulting me.
So we get up to hole 18, where many people casually play from the long tee b/c it's more fun. I walk up to the short tee, b/c no one said we were playing any long tees at all EVER, and apparently then THAT's a problem. The TD gets super frustrated and says that I'm playing my 'advantage'. Simply put, I wasn't. I know I can get a 2 on that hole a lot either way, and I practice both. So we have to 'argue' about it for a minute and eventually we play the short like we should have and carry on. This really got the TD pretty pissed apparently, b/c he started being more rude/insulting and even looks back when on a teepad to say 'now I'm being and asshole, just to let you know'.
The whole day up to this point I had told him I wasn't going to be angry with him b/c that's all he wanted. He was looking for a reaction. At this point I was just like 'look man, you aren't gonna make me mad, and if you want me to shut up or something you're gonna have to beat my ass'. He replies, 'I'll keep that mind - and I'll steal your weed too' (knowing I had my car stolen the month before) A few holes later, I'm once again accused of 'playing my advantage' b/c we were on the short tees. Excuse me, but no one EVER said we were playing any longs. Wouldn't playing 2 or 3 specific long tees be playing HIS advantage? So, we finish the round... I shoot my worst round in weeks and get 'beat' on the last hole by my friend and third. Remembering hole 11, where he got a 4 and not a 3, and the fact that the TD was his buddy I checked the score card and found out I had been cheated. I called it on them and I should've took my money and left in retrospect. The score card was at that point worth nothing, as I had not kept track of the guy in 3rd's score at all. My friend tells me I 'have it' and gets ready to leave, and so does the TD who owes me a payout for 2nd place. I stood behind his car telling him I needed my money and he says something to the effect that 'Oh its not a league night, winner was taking all'. Somehow I hadn't heard that ever. It apparently was discussed when I wasn't around or listening? I wasn't leaving without 2nd place being payed out, so my friend agrees to throw off with me for 2nd. I threw off one hole with the guy, lost, and let him have the payout for second place. After leaving I realized I should have took my money when I realized the score card was bunk. He could've edited 3 more holes and I wouldn't have known. So, knowing they work together, I call my friend and tell him that they owe me five bucks and apparently I'm out a friend now. It's not worth it to me to contact the TD for the money. A moment of my time spent talking to him isn't worth five bucks. I don't care if my friend feels he legitimately won the money b/c he did not. The score card was cheated and I had to endure complete bullshit for a complete round. He's friends with the TD who cheated, and should acquire the five back from him if he wants it. However, it's my fault for leaving... honestly who wouldn't have wanted to hop right out of there? What a waste of a round of golf.

Winning is not everything to me, but respect does matter.

How do you feel about the situation?

What could I have done better?

Is this how organized play is?

Seems like a whole lot of bologna that you had to put up with there. I cant even imagine a league being run like that. The TD (as you call him) needs to get his act together and stop playing such blatent favoritism. As for what you could have done; probably not too much as it seems that the TD was indeed intent on pushing your buttons no matter what you did/said. I certainly would not have stood for that garbage, especially him talking shit to/about you during your shots.

I would have taken my money and left when I realized the card was being tampered with. Actually screw the money its only 5 bucks and just leave. I have never dealt with this sort of situation so not totally sure what I would have done.

And some poeple wonder why I don't play competitive events. Well I do play one a year, only because it is on my home course, but nothing else. Lets face it Lock, we all know DG is competitive, but I prefer to keep that competition between the course, my discs, and my head space. And we know that when you combine any competitive endevour with ego (aka perceived penis size) you are going to get into a situation like you decribe. What can you do? Move on, obviously never play an event directed by this guy, but move on. Remember, if like me, you got into this game to enjoy the glide of your plastic, and a walk with friends, do just that, hang with friends and huk plastic. I got into disc sports (circa 1971) to get away from football, basketball, wrestling, and baseball; all that competition turned me into a jerk, concerned only with winning at any cost. The IFA (International Frisbee Association) offered a way to be physically active, skills based, and excited about fellow discers doing well. Tournement DG is going to happen, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let it spoil my fun. That's why I got into the game, to have fun, relax, etc. I did not get started in disc to bring the hassles of work or anything else to the course. I'll keep my competitive side for academics where I can always prove someone wrong or at least flawed. I feel for you Lock, that was a shitty experience, but just remember why you got into this game. Was it to participate in a Jerry Springer type of environment? Or was it to get a nice buzz with friends in a beautiful park while you huk some plastic? Stay true to your original vision, go with the flow.
Yours in disc,
Jman - Ambassador@Large
Team Oregon
Stumptown DG
Portland. Oregon

Here is another perspective on what happened Tuesday night. I was mainly a 3rd party in this until I was accused of being a cheater & liar.

Tuesday is normally our league night, but the weather was calling for thunderstorms and only 4 people came out to play. Once it was apparent that nobody else was going to show up, we decided to just play a casual singles round, with everyone chipping in $5. I will be perfectly honest, I wasn't going to have a chance to win. NeroJR and Lock-off have much better games than I do, but it was $5 and it made the round fun. When we were deciding to play, it was mentioned that with 4 people the winner would take all. Where lock-off's head was at this point is beyond me. If he was unclear on the terms he could have asked anyone.

The hole 11 he is speaking of, I made a very nice upshot with my flx buzz, it was determined to be a gimme and I walked to the next tee. At this point I was 5 or 6 strokes down, without any real shot of making them up. As I am waiting for the others to hole out, I hear a commotion. Apparently lock-off is upset that I didn't walk up to make the putt. I walk up, pick up the disc and throw it at the basket with no effort. I say, "There, you happy now? My round is over anyway and I am out here to have a good time."

As far as the, "nasty jokes" I am not sure what he is referring to. When I am out playing I am always making jokes and screwing around. I didn't notice anything very vulgar or uncalled for.

To be fair, silence is very broad to lock-off. I have seen him yell at little kids, people walking their dogs, and even people working in their yards that are across from the course. There was also a situation where he stole a child's bike that was riding around the course and hid it in the woods. None of us were trying to distract him while he was throwing, but some normal conversation did occur.

As far as the tees go, to play the longs on those holes is what everyone normally does. The short tees in question are just rec tees, we normally play the pads with tee signs. Also, the other 3 in the group wanted to play the longs. In the end, the group played the shorts as Lock-Off wanted. Neither lock-off or Nerojr gained a stroke on any of those holes.

In the end it all comes down to what the agreed payout was. Obviously Nero beat Lock-off, so if it was winner take all there is no issue. From now on I guess things will need to be in writing or something to prevent this kind of situation. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but the whole thing sucked. It puts me in a weird position with both of these guys, which is not something I wanted. It could have been avoided by either lock-off or nerojr giving in, but egos and pride seemed to win out over common sense. It ruined what should have been a nice evening of disc golf with four guys, and probably trashed a friendship in the process.

Until tuesday you were my friend and didn't have anything bad to say about me. I'm not gonna respond to your exaggerations. Sorry I came out for a fair round of golf.

There are always multiple sides to any story, but the greatest disapointment is that personal egos get in the way of an otherwise enjoyable walk through the park. I agree you two shouldn't play together if you can't be gentlemen and have fun doing it, too bad. We are all builders, we either construct walls or bridges, but the choice is yours and yours alone.

gosh,

my whole post seems silly now. I should have refreshed the thread before posting it. It now looks like I am giving advice to you two. I'm not. I recuse myself.

sorry

Cheesus Crust, when did disc golf stop being fun and start being a dickwaving contest between primadonnas?

Take the game a bit less seriously and consider playing with like-minded people that you get along with.

Obviously I don't know either Lock-off or Glock, but a bad situation seems to have gotten even worse in this thread. The comment about the $5 (which seems to have been edited) was just a low blow. If I was cheated out of anything during a game due to what I perceived as unfairness, I would be pissed. We all assume total honesty during this great game. Maybe this was just a HUGE misunderstanding.

Too personal for a public message board, even after the edits...

closed and locked per many requests.

Keep these type of posts to local board and/or PMs.

Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.