• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Learning to throw backhand again

FDG4Ever

Hello again!

So, about two years ago i thought i was getting pretty good with my backhand and got enough distance to be happy with(350 average) I stopped working on getting more distance and tried to gain consistency instead, but that didn't work out very well as I started developing bad habits and basically hyzering everything to the left. Beginning of this year I realized that my backhand was absolutely ruining my game and i started throwing FH only. Now I want to get back at it and learn more proper form. In the video i try to do the Beto right pec drill and really focus on getting my weight forward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQjFsWsS1Bc

Question is: How can I get to the 400 foot mark?

I really don't like the Beto drill....it's an older drill. I'm sure it works great for some people, but I think you're well past the technique barrier that it's supposed to teach people. I may be wrong just because I don't like/don't "get" it.

I'd like to see full reachback throws, and X-step too. The only thing I can spot from that, is it looks like you're not transferring into the plant/brace...your back foot still has weight when you are planting. I have the same issue.

With your balance though, I'd like to see all the parts working together and with a full swing to see how your reachback into the plant line up, and see how it goes from there. I think it's a lower body/weight transfer thing that's capping you out right now though.

Good job half-hitting, and your form reminds me of Simon Lizotte's. However, you seem to be rounding a little and could definitely be in a more athletic posture, but, judging my your height and long limbs, you could afford to throw more like Simon and get very high arm speeds.

Study Simon's posture from 10 seconds to the end of the below video. Notice how quickly he pulls the disc to the front of his chest, See the below link for the water bottle drill, and combine it with a longer reach-back. My take on this water bottle drill is to draw the disc as fast as I can to my left shoulder as I am rotating my upper body... It gets me a shoulder engagement like Paul's in the below GIF. I've thrown some of my farthest in-round drives doing this.

http://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/...lps-demonstrate-inward-pull-outward-ejection/