• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's talk hand care...

lines

Double Eagle Member
We never talk about one of the most important pieces of dg equipment... Our hands.
I work in the food industry so i wash my hands more than normal. To combat dry skin i use a combo of Badger Balm and and hand salve from burt's bees at night. I also use a product after rounds called Phuel once my hands and arms are washed. It's great if you had to much sun or touched anything you shouldn't have.
My finger nails must be trimmed. I carry a pair of clippers and have fine grit sandpaper glued to the underside of my mini. If my hands don't feel right it gets in my head.
What's your hand maintenance routine, if any?

Wow....that is a lot of work. Everyones' hands are different. I worked in healthcare and also washed my hands, A LOT. I always avoided the quick, waterless, alcohol based hand stuff and opted for plain old soap and water.

I don't moisturize, lotion, balm or salve....really ever. I spend a few minutes, clipping my nails every week or so....always a couple days before a longer tournament. I carry nothing for my hands during a round and only soap in the car, for poison ivy protocol. I usually wipe my hands down with baby wipes before lunch or after rounds.

Also...don't really have any issues with rain or wet discs. I don't seem to have grip problems very often.

Goes to show you how different skin can be, person to person. Glad to see you have found a system that works for you.

amusing anecdote:

i was playing a tournament 'down south' many years ago, when after the first round, a former world champion (one of the first widely acknowledged 'supreme' putters) who hadn't played as well as he might (or so he felt, and really who doesn't?) blamed his 'poor' performance on the fact that he had trimmed his nails the day before...i didn't laugh in his face, but DID smile to myself...he was already one of the most natty players i'd ever met...

I just grind off my calluses with a pumice stone. I get a lot of hand tears from weightlifting but grinding off the calluses helps a lot.

I hate the feel of stuff on my skin. I don't use lotions, no sunscreen and I carry wet wipes to clean my hands after a round. I am also constantly wiping dust off of my discs, don't encounter much mud out here anymore. That said, if I do not keep my nails trimmed I am in deep sh!t for the round. I need to get a dedicated pair of clippers for my bag. I really like the sand paper under the mini idea, I think I am going to do that.