• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to improve

Iloco7

I'm 16, have been playing for a about year using DGCR and DGR forums to improve, (there isn't a thread I haven't read. :p) I spend a majority of my free time practicing and playing. Have maxed around 430'ish on a hyzer flip with a wraith using a fork grip, but recently switched to a power grip due to slips. (along w/ blood blisters :thmbdown:) I'm hoping a better grip will help in getting a stronger hit.

I didn't get any good throws on film due to bad footing and the new grip, and my run up and swing felt funky, i'm also feeling some pain in my elbow. I plan to upload some better videos when the weather clears up.

I throw in the low-mid 400's on my best days, (and it would be nice to have every day be a best day) but even on my best days I know I could throw considerably farther.

I don't throw forehand for distance, only upshots and stupidly tight tunnel shots. I would like to get it to the mid 300 range though. (without having to oat over a nuke at full power)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Run up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_yjn5LcGDE&feature=youtu.be

Stand still: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1ZCbIJIRpo&feature=youtu.be

430ish???? I might need lessons from you. Nothing I can say that will help man. Good luck on your journey to become a better disc golfer.

I'm curious to see what others have to say though....BUMP

unfortunately it's not consistent, i'll go days where i'm happy with anything over 350 :p I'm hoping this thread will help with that. I'm not going for any magical number. I just feel there's more potential.

Thanks for your words of encouragement:)

let the hips lead and generate power from the ground up. pull-through starts off a little high with weight shifting too far forward early and shoulders opening early likely due to the weight being off.

asdf.jpg

I'm gonna have to watch the door frame drills again. I think I may have misunderstood the timing of the weight shift. And watching it again frame by frame, my shoulders did open way early. It might explain why my throw felt so off. Thanks.

u look off balance not sure if its because of the snow or what but in the picture above ur left leg has ur weight on ur heel with the toe up and ur right foot is on ur toes. staying more on your toes will help u keep balance and consistency

Yep....your rear toes are off the ground there ^ so the leverage is done. So your swing comes over the top there and the nose comes up on the disc for a nice airbounce. Your timing with the hips and shoulder is a bit off due to that and can't get full extension on the arm. Keep the leverage of your swing through the toes/instep of the rear foot(not the heel). Reaching back lower should also help.

FH, you need to keep your shoulders turned back until your weight transfers to the front foot/leg. Then throw.

Yeah. my run up has always felt awkward. I think keeping on the toes will help loads. When I go through the motions it feels considerably better.

Would you say the standstill was any better?

I threw a bunch of drives today and finally gave up on the power grip. I got good accuracy with it at lower power levels but I couldn't get any sort of consistency on distance drives. My problem now is that when I use the fork grip I get a real loud cracking noise, which I think means it's slipping. And it only took about 20 throws to develop a nasty blood blister on my pinky. Is my grip jacked or is it my form? I don't think it had anything to do with the discs being wet since this has never been a problem before on rainy days. Also I was only maxing at 370 or so. I'm losing distance somewhere. :\

How's my form looking?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDpG2pL6iWQ sorry about the terrible lighting. Hopefully I can get some throws in good lighting with decent footing tomorrow.

Thanks

It's not terrible. It will feel a bit weird changing your balance to the rear toes and takes a good amount of practice. Your swing plane and grip will likely change as well. Try using a two finger grip and keeping the rear heel off the ground, and keeping the throwing shoulder and disc lower.

I got a chance to mess around with the two finger grip and got one or two out around 400, (better than I've been getting lately) but it was tough to get a combination of good hit and line. it definitely made me focus on holding on through the hit more though. any sloppiness and it would slip bad. Is that the point? Should I try to get to a point where I can consistently hit it with two fingers and then add the others?

Thanks.

That is part of the point. It should also help change the focus of your grip pressures as your pinky was taking all that abuse in your previous grip. The massive slips are likely due your swing still coming over the top. Playing around with different grips isn't a bad thing.

Makes sense. It did make me rethink my grip, and I'll definitely be messing around with it some more. But the swing and footwork will be my main focus. I'll get some videos up once I've worked on it some more.

Finally saw some improvements today. Went to the field after filming these and was consistently hitting 400-430 with a couple going a bit farther. Felt incredible after a winter of being stuck in the 350-370 range. Hopefully it doesn't disappear like it usually does. :wall:

I also finally got rid of the loud ripping noise today. I only got it on my poorer drives. and I was able to figure out what caused it most times. The 400+ drives were silent and didn't seem to be ripping at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSYf-rJfA-I
The things I can see are that my pull still seems off, but it's no-longer at ear level at least. And getting it lower should be easy enough. My shoulder rotation seems off in the last two but i'm not 100% sure there. There's a lot I'm probably missing.

How's it lookin'?

Better. You can turn your shoulders back further at the plant.

Interesting. I felt like I was turning back farther than I actually do. I'll mess around with that. Anything else I should be working on?

Your main issue is the shoulder timing / loading the shoulder. You can think of it as reaching back further, or staying back longer, or delayed shoulder rotation.