• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Making the Skillshot catch better

Bassbrass

The Skillshot™ is an oft-maligned target that actually has a lot going for it. First, the name really says it. At roughly one-half the target area of the Discatcher Pro, it was the first precision basket. I t was also the first (and is still the most compact) of the canvas collapsible baskets. However, on myriad forums, all one hears is "poor catching."
Looking at the Skillshot™, it is fairly easy to see the problem. From the outside, the 16 chains form a vertical curtain fairly close to the bottom rim. So rather than kvetch, let's see if we can take care of that in two fairly easy steps.

Step One: Start by shortening the chains on the radial arms by one link (leave it hanging for now, in case you decide you liked it better before). Also run the chain loop through the rings under the arms to offset the loss of weight. This will help give the chains a bit of the parabolic (wineglass shaped) curve that almost every other target employs—for a reason.

Step Two: Take the equivalent of those eight links (or so) and make a 4-5" loop for the other eight in-between chains to attach to. This further enhances the parabolic shape and gives a pseudo-layered effect –especially beneath the top third.

That's it! Little to no change in weight or foldability, and I find it catches much better. Now, I admit A) I'm a noob whose opinion is probably suspect, B) I'm a spin putter, so results may vary, and C) I'm the guy who came up with the idea, so of course I think it's better.

Try it yourself and tell us what you think. Don't cut the spare links and you can always return it to stock.

PA TreeSlayer

Attachments

• Skillshot mod.jpg
    Skillshot mod.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 25
I do roughly the same thing, but I just fold up a towel or shirt and thread it through the bottom chains to get a similar effect. Plus it helps dampen the sound a bit, which matters to me cause I use it in my apartment in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk