• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Max Distance Thumber Disc

crater77

Birdie Member
I'm throwing a lot of thumbers these days. I throw Firebirds. I can get them out to about 300 feet. Looking for the best disc to push that distance out to 350. Any advise?

At that point there isn't a magical disc. You can try something/anything more stable but it's really more about getting more snap with your wrist.

Search for "overhand" and you'll find a ton of recommendations.

I'm throwing a lot of thumbers these days. I throw Firebirds. I can get them out to about 300 feet. Looking for the best disc to push that distance out to 350. Any advise?

Depending on your firebird - a flatter firebird maybe get you a little more distance. Also, the xXx has a slightly different flight path (for me it's a slower R-L pan), so that may be worth checking out.

Firebird is perfect. Try adjusting your release angle. Between 11-12 lonnnnng helix. 1-2 much quicker.

I throw a lot of OH shots and depending in which one your throwing I have a few to recommend.

For a long distance high speed OH that is still very controllable I love an Ape. I can throw one close to 400 and land it on target repeatedly. Stiletto is also good for this because they turn oven very quickly.

If your doing a sky lob that you need to turn more slowly and longer I really like an under stable disc like a Katana.

The longest ones I throw are with an Epic but you have to tune it perfectly or it can turn uncontrollably. Have thrown it up to 450 but no clue where it's going to land when I let it go.

Honestly the Firebird is awesome, unless you have a pretty big arm it'll get you as much distance as anything.

Give a gold line light weight Lat 64 XXX a shot. I personally use a purple 167g one. The farthest I've gotten it was parking the flat 435' hole 16 at dela in the Master's Cup this year. The disc flies similar to a firebird for overhead shots, but I find its pan to me much smoother which results in distance and consistency for me.