• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maybe new Idea?

RustyDCI

With all the new video companies and all the tournaments that go on throughout the year. I am wondering why more companies do not get together to film the big tournaments? If they were to get at least 1 to 2 other companies to film along with them at major tournaments they could post up to 4 cards per day. That would increase their viewers greatly because sometimes you could be looking for someone that got stuck on a lower card first round or so. With the last tournament, they had with the central location thing that is similar to real golf but only one video going. I feel the push needs to happen where more cameras are connected to them for more options of viewing? What are peoples thoughts?

I'll bet the video guys have the same idea, in their dreams about 10 times a week.

Heck, I have it when I look at camera angles on our course....and I don't even care to watch video coverage of tournaments.

Those who do watch, will have to settle for being grateful the video guys have managed to cover events, at all. I imagine the resources are pretty tight, for the current coverage; I can't imagine where they'd come from, for multi-hole coverage, and administration of it.

With all the new video companies and all the tournaments that go on throughout the year. I am wondering why more companies do not get together to film the big tournaments? If they were to get at least 1 to 2 other companies to film along with them at major tournaments they could post up to 4 cards per day. That would increase their viewers greatly because sometimes you could be looking for someone that got stuck on a lower card first round or so. With the last tournament, they had with the central location thing that is similar to real golf but only one video going. I feel the push needs to happen where more cameras are connected to them for more options of viewing? What are peoples thoughts?

- Lots of people have jobs, families and interests. The great folks out there now are trying to make it a business. I am not sure that there is that much revenue out there for others to just jump into the fray. I might suggest you step up and try your hand at it.

-Completely disagree. Increasing viewership is a tough proposition. I am quite sure showing additional cards will not bring the masses to our game. IMO, the masses don't know we exist.

-There are an awful lot of logistics involved in your dream. I think super motivated individuals, with the dream of using tournament coverage to grow the sport, capital dollars to enter into the field, a lifestyle and personal support system to allow for the hours and travel and a professional background to hit the ground running with a quality product are very few and far between.

I don't know.....the whole OP kind of smacks of entitlement. Sorry, no real offense meant, but it seems like your request is a lot of hoping for someone to spend a ton of time, money and years....so a few people can reap the benefits. I think we should be very thankful that anyone is providing coverage at all.

The PGA has it figured out... its just a matter of time and money before the PDGA follows suit.

The answer is money, and how no one is disc golf has enough of it to solve this issue at this time.

Most production is done by a very small team, on a shoestring budget with little or no support staff. And could usually not be accomplished without a good amount of volunteers.

Right now we just need to be happy that we've got a good amount of free or cheap coverage that is the best quality we've ever had. Not pga quality, and it might not ever fully catch up, but by far the best it's ever been.

The PGA has it figured out... its just a matter of time and money before the PDGA follows suit.

The best players in the PGA are making $50 million plus a year. The best players in disc golf are being offered shoes instead of money. I think there is quite a bit of time, and a whole lot of money before the PDGA is remotely close.

I disagree. The money will never be there for disc golf any where close to the money involved in the PGA. Disc golf will continue to grow but not in that manner.

I was referring to the format of how a tournament is covered by the media.

Yeah, money. The entire PDGA pro tour purse for last year was just over $4.5 million, and I would assume that is everything, not just the majors, national tour, DGPT, DGWT, but all of the B and C tier events as well. By comparison, the top five guys at the Masters alone took home more money than that.

Compounding this is the fact that a lion's share of that $4.5 million didn't come from outside sponsorship, but from the pockets of losing players, and even a degree of the added cash came from the markup of Am players merch.

For all of the progress, we are still small potatoes and making more videos to appease those who are already in the choir isn't going to grow things.

Last edited:
I do agree with a point that money is involved. With that being said none of them are filming and following for money. I am sure that some of them do well now, but most of them are using decent handhelds (for the record no idea how much or what camera differences are). One thing I do know is that they are nowhere close to what PGA is using but they are on a smaller course scale than PGA is so it would still be achievable. I am sure that they all have thought of that for sure I am just curious to see what is the deal breaker or missing link to it?

I do agree with a point that money is involved. With that being said none of them are filming and following for money. I am sure that some of them do well now, but most of them are using decent handhelds (for the record no idea how much or what camera differences are). One thing I do know is that they are nowhere close to what PGA is using but they are on a smaller course scale than PGA is so it would still be achievable. I am sure that they all have thought of that for sure I am just curious to see what is the deal breaker or missing link to it?

I suspect that you have no idea of the amount of technology, infrastructure, financial backing and manpower that goes into the production of a PGA tournament broadcast. Honestly, the comparison is apples and oranges.

One thing I do know is that they are nowhere close to what PGA is using but they are on a smaller course scale than PGA is so it would still be achievable. I am sure that they all have thought of that for sure I am just curious to see what is the deal breaker or missing link to it?

The missing link is that there's not much return on investment, as a great deal of us who play casually or even competitively don't find watching disc golf tournaments online all that entertaining, whether live or edited. Better camera technology, or better commentary or fancier graphics packages aren't going to change that as those things were never the problem.

Let's just be thankful for jomez. and big sexy, viewership would be 50% without them. They make disc golf fun to watch

Latest posts