• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid Ranges... What's the Point?

I don't think anyone has said this, but if your pinkie is impacting your grip on your backhand, why not try to develop a consistent forehand instead? My backhand grip requires all of my fingers to be tucked against the rim, but I only use my index and middle fingers for my forehand grip, with my ring finger and pinkie tucked against the heel of my palm. It may alleviate your pinkie issue, and, of course, as I have learned over the last six months, developing a consistent forehand is just one more great tool in the toolbox to improve your overall game.

My current mid line-up is a Core, Buzzz SS, and Drone, but I just went to that recently because I wanted more fairy drivers in my bag. During Worlds, I was working beat Roc, Buzzz SS, Wasp, and Drone.

I don't think anyone has said this, but if your pinkie is impacting your grip on your backhand, why not try to develop a consistent forehand instead? My backhand grip requires all of my fingers to be tucked against the rim, but I only use my index and middle fingers for my forehand grip, with my ring finger and pinkie tucked against the heel of my palm. It may alleviate your pinkie issue, and, of course, as I have learned over the last six months, developing a consistent forehand is just one more great tool in the toolbox to improve your overall game.

My current mid line-up is a Core, Buzzz SS, and Drone, but I just went to that recently because I wanted more fairy drivers in my bag. During Worlds, I was working beat Roc, Buzzz SS, Wasp, and Drone.

I've been working on my forehand. I have to use a super fight grip, that I can barely get the flick motion in, just so it doesn't wobble when I throw it. I'm working on it slowly but surely.

I would highly suggest getting a Comet for your bag just to work on releasing issues.I have one in my bag for that reason.When my driving is in a rut,i'll throw the comet on ever hole until I've fixed my problem.

When I'm throwing my Drivers,Mids,Putters off the Tee I use a 2 finger grip.You get a lot of spin and snap to propel the disc pretty far.One thing though,the 2 finger grip isn't for everyone.

When I need a longer approach shot I'm using the Fan Grip.You get great control with this grip.

Let me find the exact name of the grip, it's like pointer finger on rim of putter, and fan grip under for putters. Drivers vary, generally I use 3 finger power grip due to my pinky being a jerk.

I do a high glide toss for my putts, I'm working on getting it to be more accurate and go further. Right now I'm trying to keep the putter in the basket or right next to it.

So you don't really throw your putters much I take it? I'd try some mids that you can comfortably use your 3 finger grip on.

So you don't really throw your putters much I take it? I'd try some mids that you can comfortably use your 3 finger grip on.

I really didn't throw them that much until I invested into a wizard, then I felt an opto pure while at the store.... I bought it instantly. I've been putting really far away now with a finger on the rim grip. It's pretty exciting :clap::clap:

When I first started playing, I hated to grip mids and putters too because of the size of the rim. But they are so crucial to the game and I wanted to throw slower discs, so I forced myself to get comfortable with it. I use the fan grip people posted pictures of a few pages back--when I first started it didn't feel good and I had trouble throwing. After a little while, it started to feel fine. These days, it's completely comfortable. Probably not what you want to hear, but no mid/putter is going to feel magically fantastic and perfectly comfortable in your hand. They all take some time getting used to (some more than others, of course).

For what it's worth, I do not even use mids any more. All I have in the bag is putters and fairway drivers. I simplified my game and got rid of high speed drivers. With RHBH, I just don't have the arm for it.

Try playing rounds with nothing but putters for a couple of months, tee box, mid, and up shots. No matter how long the hole, just use putters. Our regular course has a 1000ft hole played as par three. If I were capable of making 30ft+ putts I could double bogey it with just putters.

I've been doing this for three months now. I am able to tee off with putters and reach 250-260 with them. I am hoping to reach 300 "fingers crossed". It has been a huge confidence builder for me. When you can dial in your putters and park 260ft shots with them, you feel like you could throw anything. FYI, I use three and four finger power grip for every throw and disc.

So here is my work out regiment. I only play 2, maybe 3 times a week, 36 holes per day.
Play only putters for three weeks. Last week of the month play with fairway and putters. Repeat until everything feels right to you. I have been doing this for about three months and I have gotten my fairway drivers out past 300 and up to 380 depending on the shot. I have never thrown anything that far before.

Last edited:
Pain/Core/Fuse... Overstable/Stable/Understable... They just feel better than the comets and buzzz's that I had been using. They grip better to me. I know you don't like mids, but you really need mids in your bag. I know some guys here say they don't use them, but those guys make up what seems to be a very very small minority. They might just be adjusting their throw to a disc instead of using different discs as they were made to be used. Grab some mids and just take them out to field practice. Practice, practice, practice. Once they get a little more comfortable in your hand (and they will), start shaping your shots more. Start testing out how awesome a core or a comet will hold an anny/hyzer line. A lot of guys start out "high speed driver, high speed driver #2 and a putter". This rarely works and can easily set you back compared to starting stable mid & o/s mid & a putter. Starting mids and then working up to a fairway driver and onto a "big-arm driver" later is the way to go. If you have a disc that has double digits in the speed rating and you've been playing a couple months, chances are you need to back up some..............................jb

I've been using my putter for anything under 150-175ft. And my Teebird for driving haha

I am a huuuge midrange fan, I carry what others would consider to be collectible but I just don't care, they barely beat up at all in the premium plastics I like.

I probably carry wayyy too many mids, but I just love them so much.

- Champ Cobra: turnovers
- Kenny Glow Roc: all-around
- FR Buzzz: dead straight shots
- FR Spider: stable shots, slight flexes
- Champ Classic Roc: < 220' straight (I call it the Straighter Gator)
- Champ Gator: < 220', overstable

I use a power grip all the time and usually throw them flat or slight anny to work some flex magic. You can definitely power down fairway drivers but I have much more flight control with mids.

If I had to pick ONE DISC to play the game with, it would either be my FR Spider or Kenny Glow Roc. Or the Buzzz. Maybe that Cobra. But the Gremlin would work, too. Gators aren't too bad. I really enjoy Classic Rocs, though. NO I MUST HAVE ALL OF THEM!!!

I've been using my putter for anything under 150-175ft. And my Teebird for driving haha

Getting comfortable with your putter is great. A Teebird is an awesome disc as well. One of a kind. But do yourself a favor and commit time to midranges, you will see the difference

Getting comfortable with your putter is great. A Teebird is an awesome disc as well. One of a kind. But do yourself a favor and commit time to midranges, you will see the difference

Yea, I'm trying to find one that wont hurt my hand with a grip that I can get control and distance with. Control more than distance, My hands have a hard time gripping it with the fat lip :/

Try an Impact for a stable-understable mid. If you can't really get used to any of the mids after all this, just get some of the slowest FW discs like Gazelles, Leos, or Cheetahs and use them as mids.

I agree with the Coyote suggestions. Possibly the most underrated mid out there. Barely any fade and you can turn it pretty well with a little but of wear. Though, a Spider is the one you want if you are looking for a small-diameter putter feel.

My suggestion is that mids don't work with your bum pinky, learn how to work some drivers or putters as mids. I have a buddy that is 1000+ rated and has 0 mids in his bag. 4 molds of drivers and some putters. Myself, Ive started using a beadless aviar as an upshot mid a lot, say from 200' and in. Only time I pull out a straight up mid is I need to fight some wind, go an in between distance 250-325 or if I need to bend it more than about 150'. I find myself using putters more and more. All in all use what is comfortable and learn those.

Well.... I've been throwing my pure/teebird for mid needs. BUT TODAY, on a stupid idea. I threw my teebird on one of our Faux Holes... It was the worst throw in months... I can't find it now :/ So... I need to buy another teebird... and possibly get a gazelle/leopard. I found a beat up drone, but I don't know about it. I'm going to try to return it to owner but it was unmarked.. As was mine, cause It was my one disc I knew I could throw Lol.