• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Raytown, MO

Minor Smith / Southwood

2.645(based on 7 reviews)
What the hell - or 2 for 1
Pros:

Has tee signs, although they are rough
Decent use of elevation
Cons:
You literally have to drive a few blocks away to play the full course
A few holes are long for a 9 hole neighborhood course
Some serious safety issues.
Other:
What is a city to do when it only has small parks but wants a disc golf course. Split the holes between 2 of the parks of course.

WHAT A STUPID IDEA!

I never look anything on a course other than making sure it's playable. So I didn't realize you had to drive from one park to another to play the full course.

Ok, the first 5 holes are in Minor Smith park located behind a school. The course starts out promising, Decent hole up a hill, then a long hole across a wash (lost an orange Star Valk in there if you find it) Hole 3 is a short hole with a large hill behind the pin. Yep, this hole bit me.

Then you get into holes 4 and 5. Hole 4 literally has you throwing over a basket ball court and across a creek to a basket close to a walking path. So it's on the long side but downhill, i parked this one.

Hole 5 is literally throwing down that same walking path. Right as I was ready to throw, a dog walker started down the path. I had to wait for them to walk the entire length of the hole so I could throw. This was at 7am in the morning, what if the park was busier.

Then you drive over to Southwood with no instructions other than using my UDisc app to see where it put's the map and trying to find the roads leading to the holes. This side is simple enough. Decent hole 6, hole 7 crosses the road coming into the parking area.

Hole 8 is a boring hole across an open field.

Hole 9 is the best hole on this side, but the basket is located inside a walking path circle. At least no one else was in this park when I was there.

I will say this, both parks and a port a potty and were well kempt.

Personally, I would have put in a little pitch and putt in Minor Smith and nothing in Southwood.

Would I play here again? No, I did not like having to driver over to another park to finish my round. Shoot, even the UDisc app used 2 different scoring functions for this course. So it now shows I play this course twice even though it was only 9 total holes.

There's a course by my place that has an 18 hole course on 3 different parks with 1-2 mile walks between parks to play them all. I wish they would have listed it as 3 different 6 hole courses personally so we can have more reviews. :) I thought it was unique but apparently they are doing this very stupid idea in other parts of the country. Hope it doesn't catch on!

There's a course by my place that has an 18 hole course on 3 different parks with 1-2 mile walks between parks to play them all. I wish they would have listed it as 3 different 6 hole courses personally so we can have more reviews. :) I thought it was unique but apparently they are doing this very stupid idea in other parts of the country. Hope it doesn't catch on!
I have played a few courses that flow from one park to another including one that you walk about 2 blocks to play a couple of holes. At least in those cases, you didn't have to "drive" to finish your round.

Latest posts