• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Multicolor question

Kupe

Im planning on doing a dye for my cousin on his champion glow teebird and plan to use 3 colors. Black, blue, and red.

I need to know the order of which to do the dyes i know black needs to go down first. But what next blue or red? also do i need to remask it? not sure if when i do the blue and red if they will blend afterwards. Really dont wanna screw this up and havent remasked for a dye before.

Any and all knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

You will need to remask for one of the colors to avoid the red and blue blending. Personally I would dip the black then unmask the blue and dip it as the blue will not make the black any darker. Then you unmask the remaining red areas. Next step is to cover the entire disc in vinyl/contact paper and re-cut the red areas only. When remasking keep in mind that any bubbles in the mask will cause darker spots in the final product as the mask will tend to 'soak up' some of the dye from the disc where it is in direct contact.
Hope this helps

thanks DTP, was afraid of having to remask. I have high hopes for this dye even though it will only be my 6th attempt at a dye but it will be first multicolor dye.

Really just dont wanna screw up this disc, he just bought it off ebay and dont think hes even thrown it yet lol.

Here's a trick to assist in remasking- when you're designing, try to leave a space in between the red and the blue sections of the dye. That way, when you remask, you'll have a margin of error to work with, instead of having a thin strip of off-color where you didn't line up perfectly. For example this is an American flag design I did; notice the thin white stripe to the left of the field of stars. The roughness of the lines serves another purpose beyond adding texture, as well; when you remask a color, sitting in a dye can cause heat patterns on the already-dyed part. I did the blue on this first, remasked, then did the red- if you look closely at the blue you'll see some texturing effect there on the inside. The roughness of the lines on the flag is intended to lead the eye away from that.

americanflage.jpg

Last edited:
the design im doing does have separation in the red and blue, so im not worried too much about the colors blending. Im hand cutting this and was hoping i didnt have to remask and cut out the design again.

Latest posts