• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] MVP distance class

joeybrumley

Sorry posted this on official mvp thread but figured might get more responses on new thread

Hey,

So just recently purchased almost all of the MVP line up and got a few questions for all of you MVP heads. I have been a trilogy only player since it was only Lat 64 with a few discs. I am an advanced level player with a decent arm. I have noticed that the MVP plastic has noticeably less glide than other discs. Also most of the plastic seems to be way more overstable than I was expecting. So my questions are

1) anyone else experience much less distance on their distance driver class compared to other discs you have thrown?

2) what is average distance you throw with the distance class?

3) what's your favorite mvp disc?

4) any idea when they will come out with true 11-12 speed distance drivers?

Thanks guys

Yeah, MVP and Latitude/Westside are definitely on different ends of the spectrum when it comes to overall stability and glide. I've actually transitioned from a mostly Lat/Westside bag to a mostly MVP/Axiom bag over the last year because as I've gained D (still modest) I've come to prefer the lesser glide of MVP/Axiom. M/A discs also generally handle the wind way way better.

As others will probably point out in a more informed and systematic fashion than I, the present distance class is more a control driver speed 10-11, so they're not really built for D. I'd say in general that MVP's discs sacrifice glide and distance for the sake of control, although they do have some glidier molds like the Crave (which still handles wind amazingly well) and the Tangent (which I've heard described as a sort of newer Comet, which I think is apt as far as pithy descriptions go).

I've only thrown the Inertia (which by the by was much less stable than I think many expected) and the Tesla; I throw them 325'-350' on golf lines.

Also, for what it's worth, Latitude and its sister companies tend to overestimate the overstability of their discs when they give them flight numbers. For instance, anyone who uses Saints will tell you they are not overstable control drivers with 0 turn (as Latitude would have you believe). For that reason, if you use an MVP disc and a Latitude disc with the same flight numbers, the MVP disc will probably be more overstable.

As far as the glide goes, that's just something you'll have to deal with. MVP discs just won't glide as much as that magical european plastic.

1) anyone else experience much less distance on their distance driver class compared to other discs you have thrown?
Not really at all. Tesla is similar to a PD/Orc/sword and so on.. not made for huge D but great control while flying long lines

375-425'+

The volt. but really there isn't just one with a bag full. Ions really take the spot I assume you mean drivers. Plus volts fly so far it could be used as a distance driver for many people.

Sooner than later ;)

Thanks guys

Inertia is very much like a Valkyrie or Flow which give some good easier distance but still controllable. You have the impulse which has lots of high speed turn and bombs in a tail wind or great for long rollers. Motion is the only one of the 20mm discs I cant really get out past 350 without a stupid amount of anhyzer or headwind.

1) no. it depends on the stability. the tesla is truly for big arms. the inertia actually flips quite easily. you will not see as much glide because there is no dome, but they are not glideless. i throw my freak tesla basically as far as my seasoned GPD. once it seasons in a bit, probably longer. i feel there's a trade-off in terms of speed vs glide and they wind up evening out.

2) average max d for me would be 430', with the longer drives topping out around 460'.

3) soft anode, tangent, tesla, axis. can't really pick. tesla is what i bag, but only because i found some freaks that don't fly as OS as a normal tesla.

4) i'm really hoping for more 12-13 because the latest class was a true 10 speed, sitting at a rim of 2.0 cm. to make an 11 would be a colossal waste of research and development IMO. they have controlled D. give us the max. no idea when they'd be coming though.

1) No, but I've also improved my form greatly since picking up the Inertia, I haven't thrown anything faster in over a year now.

2) I can hit 350' with my Inertia, 320' with my Volt, 300' with my Alias and about 275' with my Envy. Those are my longest shots I've had with them, knock about 20' off of them and that's probably my average with each one respectively. For reference, I have thrown my Flow right at 320' as well, so it's pretty on par with my Inertia.

3) It's hard to pick one. I love all 4 I mentioned above, but if I had to pick just one I would probably say the Envy, it's the most versatile disc I own. For a driver though, the Volt is it. Best driver ever.

4) Nope. But honestly, since I don't really throw over 350' yet, I am not that interested in anything faster than what they have out already.

As far as glide and stability goes for MVP, Lat 64 is known for their glide. My Discraft and Innova discs don't glide as well as my Trilogy plastic either, I don't think that's so much a lack on their part, but something that Trilogy seems to focus more on. That being said, MVP does have some glidey discs, especially the Axiom offshoot. My Crave glides every bit as good as my Escape with just a touch more stability than the Escape has. MVP and Axiom definitely have some understable discs out there. I haven't thrown the most understable discs yet, like the Theory, but my Tangent turns pretty well, so I would assume the Theory to compare to some of the better understable discs that Lat 64 has. I also hear it has more glide than the Tangent, and my Tangent is another glidey MVP disc.

FWIW I have switched from mostly Lat 64 over to MVP/Axiom myself in the past year. I prefer to have a little less glide living in TX because of all of the wind, and that is where MVP has really shined for me. I still bag a couple trilogy discs from time to time, but more and more I am finding I am more consistent with my MVP molds.

Yeah, MVP and Latitude/Westside are definitely on different ends of the spectrum when it comes to overall stability and glide. I've actually transitioned from a mostly Lat/Westside bag to a mostly MVP/Axiom bag over the last year because as I've gained D (still modest) I've come to prefer the lesser glide of MVP/Axiom. M/A discs also generally handle the wind way way better.

As others will probably point out in a more informed and systematic fashion than I, the present distance class is more a control driver speed 10-11, so they're not really built for D. I'd say in general that MVP's discs sacrifice glide and distance for the sake of control, although they do have some glidier molds like the Crave (which still handles wind amazingly well) and the Tangent (which I've heard described as a sort of newer Comet, which I think is apt as far as pithy descriptions go).

I've only thrown the Inertia (which by the by was much less stable than I think many expected) and the Tesla; I throw them 325'-350' on golf lines.

One additional useful piece of info is that I throw my laces 350-375 on average, sometimes pushing 400, so my tesla flies notably shorter than my max D.

1) no. it depends on the stability. the tesla is truly for big arms. the inertia actually flips quite easily. you will not see as much glide because there is no dome, but they are not glideless. i throw my freak tesla basically as far as my seasoned GPD. once it seasons in a bit, probably longer. i feel there's a trade-off in terms of speed vs glide and they wind up evening out.

2) average max d for me would be 430', with the longer drives topping out around 460'.

3) soft anode, tangent, tesla, axis. can't really pick. tesla is what i bag, but only because i found some freaks that don't fly as OS as a normal tesla.

4) i'm really hoping for more 12-13 because the latest class was a true 10 speed, sitting at a rim of 2.0 cm. to make an 11 would be a colossal waste of research and development IMO. they have controlled D. give us the max. no idea when they'd be coming though.

460 with MVP dd? Tesla?

I think as was touched on, is that if you are used to throwing Lat/Trilogy plastic and think of flight numbers relative to those...most other manufacturers are going to feel overstable to you. Nearly any disc I have thrown from those companies (other than truly OS molds) have much more turn than they say. They are also pretty glidey discs in general.

460 with MVP dd? Tesla?

No. With destroyers. I have been experimenting.g with max rim width lately, pure distance and that's been getting me more in that 450' range. Tesla would be more like 400' max. Right around the same as my gpd. Once it seasons up I expect more like 415 from the tesla.

Sorry posted this on official mvp thread but figured might get more responses on new thread

Hey,

So just recently purchased almost all of the MVP line up and got a few questions for all of you MVP heads. I have been a trilogy only player since it was only Lat 64 with a few discs. I am an advanced level player with a decent arm. I have noticed that the MVP plastic has noticeably less glide than other discs. Also most of the plastic seems to be way more overstable than I was expecting. So my questions are

Thanks guys

1. No. I find MVP discs typically fly 10-15' further than comparable molds from other companies. Not a huge boost in distance, but enough to notice. Vector vs Roc, Axis vs Buzz, Crave vs DX Teebird, etc. If I compare my Tesla to a Destroyer or Boss, no, they do not go as far, but that is a skewed comparison because the Tesla is not as fast of a disc. It would be more fair to compare it to an Orc or whatever Innova makes in the speed 10-11 range.

2. On the course I typically use them for over 400' shots BH and over 350' shots FH. I throw them up to 500-520' on the course, and have pushed them further during field work but I cannot consistently get Teslas, Inertias etc past 520' yet.

3. I have two I'd consider my favorite, the Envy and the Crave. I am comfortable playing any course with just these two molds. I use them extensively BH, FH, OH and roller. The Envy I love for how comfortable it feels, how consistently it flies and how great the soft plastic feels (+ how durable it is!). The Crave has amazing glide, is stable enough to be reliable but neutral enough to be able to shape a lot of lines with slight tweaks to my release angle. It amazes me how well it keeps up with my distance drivers in the field. I've never had a fairway driver give me such an effortless 400' on command. I'm also a really big fan of the Axis, Resistor, Volt & Tesla.

4. Right now, no. I have not heard any news on new distance molds.

Last edited:
No. With destroyers. I have been experimenting.g with max rim width lately, pure distance and that's been getting me more in that 450' range. Tesla would be more like 400' max. Right around the same as my gpd. Once it seasons up I expect more like 415 from the tesla.

Gotcha, I misunderstood the op.

I thought he was asking max distance for MVP. Anyone throwing MVP over 450 is impressive as hell.

I need to work my tesla more. It's still behind my gstar pd.

I feel like I'm the only person on here who was disappointed by my Volt. It just overlaps with my shock too much while never inspiring as much confidence.

I really wanted it to have less HSS than it does, so for me it gets used for lots of the same lines as my shock, while being less reliable for me. If I'm throwing the shock I can step onto the tee thinking, "Sweet, I've got this!" The volt I think, "Ok, how am I going to make this work?"

If the shock didn't exist I'm sure I'd love it, but frankly, it's just not as good at what it does as the shock is...

I feel like I'm the only person on here who was disappointed by my Volt. It just overlaps with my shock too much while never inspiring as much confidence.

I really wanted it to have less HSS than it does, so for me it gets used for lots of the same lines as my shock, while being less reliable for me. If I'm throwing the shock I can step onto the tee thinking, "Sweet, I've got this!" The volt I think, "Ok, how am I going to make this work?"

If the shock didn't exist I'm sure I'd love it, but frankly, it's just not as good at what it does as the shock is...

I think you are seeing that they are different discs. The Shock has strong and consistent fade. Adding power only delays when you start to see it. The Volt is stable and with some fade - but not over-stable. It is a line shaper, not intended to fade hard as a rule of thumb. Modulating power will create different results.

To the OP - I'm of the camp that the Gyro tech tweaks the HSS of MVP stuff. Even their understable molds can take a rip. But they will turn, and hold. It is an adjustment, but I will suggest to you that the less you see turns/burns and more a disc stabilizing on intended lines, the more you'll appreciate that trait.

Have you tried an Amp? Might pair up better for you if your diggin the Shock over the Volt

I think you are seeing that they are different discs. The Shock has strong and consistent fade. Adding power only delays when you start to see it. The Volt is stable and with some fade - but not over-stable. It is a line shaper, not intended to fade hard as a rule of thumb. Modulating power will create different results.

I could see them as different discs, but the difference is very slight. I suppose my experience might be better phrased as "The volt is slightly less stable than the shock, but not enough to bag both." My volt's fade is very close to as hard my shock's, and my volt is most definitely overstable. The fade is described on MVP's site as penetrating, but even at 400'+ mine fades hard and drops out of the sky. Perhaps I just picked up a freak extra beefy one?

Have you tried an Amp? Might pair up better for you if your diggin the Shock over the Volt

I haven't, but it seems like it would be pretty similar to my inspire. If you've thrown both, could you compare their stability?

Who knows, maybe the crave is what I'm looking for.

And sorry for hijacking the thread OP, didn't really think when I posted last night.

The Crave is more neutral than the Volt, it's pretty similar to FR Volts you might have heard about.

Amps are more understable than Inspires.

Mike, you should do a video of you throwing fast drivers on all out distance lines like you would in a distance competition to see the absolute farthest you can throw is. Maybe even try a 360. That'd be pretty cool. Example of said line at 30 seconds in this video:

Last edited:
1) I used to be a Trilogy guy myself, and I have found that the fairway driver class MVP/Axiom has more flexibility in their flight paths versus Trilogy. Currently, I have a Amp, Shock, Volt, Resistor, Crave, Inspire, Servo, and a Switch. In essence, I have practically every shot of distance covered by a disc. The Amp is similar to a heavier Diamond, but it can be a touch sensitive when new to nose angle. The River was a disc I could never throw well (OK, I thought it was the Antichrist). Out of the lot, I enjoy the Servo and the Switch most, with my Crave and Inspire starting to get figured out.

Distance driver wise, I would not know. I cap myself at speed 9 discs for multiple reasons.

2) My Amp under favorable conditions, maybe 260-275'.

3) The Servo, hands down. Imagine a disc that goes straight as a rope, and predictable fade. Now, add that you can roller and forehand it as well, and that's the Servo. People say that the Crave is like a seasoned Servo, but I disagree - the Servo's fade is not the penetrating variety like the Crave. Its compliment the Switch is very close to a Leopard in mechanics.

4) Unknown. Being in South Florida, many of our holes are not sufficiently long enough to warrant a 11+ speed driver.