• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Midrange Comparison Video

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Here is a video of me testing out all four MVP midrange discs.

I throw them in order of most understable to most overstable, Tangent, Axis, Vector then Tensor.

The last third of the video is random clips of the four molds, with a few Tangent throws, then some Axis throws etc.

Not that I am that good, nor have that level of consistency, but I am proud to say I get more or less the same flights out of my MVP mids.

Is the click your fingers snapping upon release of the disc? I thought I had tightened my grip down, but DANG. My throw is not making that noise or I can't hear such when moving my big self across the pad.

i think the click sound is the snap you get between your finger and the rim, when your release slips off the edge of the rim with a lot of pressure very quickly.

Is the snapping sound louder with MVP discs than it is with regular discs?

Not really. MikeC just has mutant fingers.

I'm going to take the high road and not criticize in4d. I will say I had to exit completely out of Chrome and take many deep breaths to avoid an atomic forum meltdown.

Back to the clicking....

I have a nice tight grip due to years of powerlifting, but I've never heard it that loud. I even watched some video footage I took this weekend during some of our rounds and while there was an audible snapping noise when I released the discs, it wasn't anywhere near what MikeC was getting. Could be the variance in equipment, but I would surmise it has something more to do with the amount of spin MikeC is able to get (hence why his MVP discs go so much farther than pretty much everyone else's) but that's just wild conjecture. Note that you still hear the snap on his forehand shots, but it's not nearly as loud.

Glad everyone else noticed it though too. Would be embarrassing if I was the only nerd who paid that much attention to the video.

Nope, but I get it anytime I throw backhand over 80% power or so. I have a lot of hand injuries on my throwing arm so that might contribute to my grip slipping and making that noise.

FWIW, that audible sound isn't necessarily a good thing, and it has nothing to do with "snap", it can actually be a sign of slippage in your grip or it could just be irrelevant. Many of the top distance throwers don't have it, a few do.

Nice vid Mike!

The clicking has absolutely nothing to do with any result. It does not equate to snap. Just wanted to say that before this discussion heads in that direction. It's all about the grip, note there are plenty of top pros whose throws are virtually silent and still throw 500 feet.

Edit : Mashnut beat me to it.

Also, great video Mike. Very informative and makes me want to try out the Tangent.

So the click sound doesn't come from the fingers slipping off the rim of the disc? I don't see how else that sound would be made.

The popping sound is nothing more than the pads of the fingertips striking the base of the thumb or palm at high speed. Its a more common phenomenon among small handed player, but can happen to anyone with the right shaped hands. If you don't usually hear the pop when throwing then start hearing it, it may mean a grp issue.

Mike C, does the Tensor have more turn than the Vector, and more fade? Also, would you shoot a back hand how to video? I've tried all the sticky thread has and I'm maxing out at 400-410. Also thanks for the great videos!

When new, neither the vector or tensor should have any turn, the tensor should fade a little more at the end though. I have some tensors that are less stable than they should be, seems like the weight affects the tensor more than anything, the light weights i have are straighter and less fade, and the max weights fade hard and earlier.

Mike C, does the Tensor have more turn than the Vector, and more fade? Also, would you shoot a back hand how to video? I've tried all the sticky thread has and I'm maxing out at 400-410. Also thanks for the great videos!

The Tensor doesn't turn, I had to use either small amounts of anhyzer or a bit of OAT to get it to drift right like it did for a few shots.

I plan to shoot a new backhand distance tutorial video and try my best to really explain the mechanics well. In the meantime I have this old one:

mike, the vid's good, cool beans.

the fact you mentioned you were going to try and make a new technique video, though, that makes me love you. good on ya man, thank you for all your efforts on this forum.