• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My bag wants to recruit a distance driver

holoordi

Hi!
After a long search I've mostly settled on my bag. Still looking for a distance driver, though. I'm not a very powerful thrower and haven't been using many discs above speed 9. Also, comments and other suggestions are very welcome :)

RHFH, reliable golf distance around 330'-350'

APX/Summit/Flavor of the month :(
Harp

Ibex
Fuse

Patriot
Firebird
PD

The situations I'm looking a distance driver for are mainly open spaces. Might involve some headwind, but I'll gladly attack stronger gusts with the PD and Firebird.
The Destroyer is great, on paper. In practice I can't really turn it over and get good distance. Maybe a Photon? Tern? Crank? Beat pro Destroyer?
Thanks.

I'd take a smaller step up than a Destroyer. Perhaps a Pro Orc or Pro Wraith?

FWIW, my buddy throws forehand and he picked up a Blizzard Champ Dominator. He doesn't have nearly the strength to throw a 13 speed, but i'll be damned that disc flies fantastic for him. Might be worth trying an F2 and seeing how you do with it.

I'm right about to the 300 mark with my drives, but I'm RHBH and I just picked up a GL River. I see you already have a fuse and it feels pretty similar if you like the mid range fairway feel. It's a speed 7, but it has some AWESOME glide to it.

The situations I'm looking a distance driver for are mainly open spaces. Might involve some headwind, but I'll gladly attack stronger gusts with the PD and Firebird.
The Destroyer is great, on paper. In practice I can't really turn it over and get good distance.

So from those lines i take that you like your PD but would like a more understable long distance driver to go with it?

How about a lighter PD, or a more beat in PD, or a PD in different plastic? Pd's are great discs.

Same thing about Destroyers, try lighter ones or see if you can get your hands on a beat in one.

Other than that, all I can think of is a Prodigy D3 or D4. They are really flippy.

Pro destroyer, Crank, Tern, d3 or d4, there are a ton of options for this slot. All of them are solid. You could also take a small step up with a wraith or DD.

What's the pd not doing for you? I throw lighter pds, and they are nice and predictable for me. what are you trying to get out of a distance driver? PD will go every bit of 400' with good control.

So from those lines i take that you like your PD but would like a more understable long distance driver to go with it?

How about a lighter PD, or a more beat in PD, or a PD in different plastic? Pd's are great discs.

PD's are indeed great drivers. I've been steering away from PPD's in fear of them getting beat up too quickly, but maybe I should try them out. Or introduce a premium plastic PD to a concrete wall and watch as the beautiful friendship unfolds.

I'd take a smaller step up than a Destroyer. Perhaps a Pro Orc or Pro Wraith?

This might be a good idea also. Discs of that speed get often overlooked in favor of the "real" distance drivers (or at least I did...).

I just got a couple P Pds and they are definitely nice. Up to this point I was throwing s-lines, mostly a used one I got from a member here that was semi beat, then I broke it in a bit more, and promptly lost it. The P-PD is pretty similar to the semi beat s-line. Less fade left and more fade forward, but still finishing left. The S PD was just developing a very subtle turn, but I think with some the P line will get there as well. I'd reccomend staying with what is familiar and either beat the crap out of an S-Line or try a P-line.

If you have 330-350 distance and want something big that is a touch US, I'd suggest the Vibram Lace. I have been cycling them all season as my main distance drivers and they are amazing flyers. It is wide-rimmed, maybe equivalent of a Speed 12, and while its a bit OS when new, they will quickly break into a perfect US distance machine. Similar to a Katana but with a taller rim and IMO more workability.

Destro is a big jump... Maybe a Thunderbird, Riot, or Wraith? At MOST I'd suggest Tern, but that is still just using understability to make up for lack of arm speed.

Already mention, but I agree with the Wraith. Buy a Star and a Pro! They both forehand well too.

They have already been mentioned, but I love my Champ Orc and X-link Lace. Good OS/US mix for distance drives. Cannot say enough good things about a GL River, which is my primary US fairway driver. Any of these would be good choices.

p.s. I also do not have an abundance of arm strength and understand the challenge of choosing a good distance driver. Good luck.

Pro Wraith or Star Tern. Wraith might be a few feet shorter but straighter with more control. A Star Tern was the first disc I threw 400 feet with.

I would suggest the Tern and if your not flipping that try the Star Tern. With good form the Star is easily the farthest I've thrown a disc. Both have great glide and for my arm speed thrown flat have the classic distance s curve. I'd be careful throwing them into the wind, particularly the Star. I also use them "powered down" for shot shaping. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ojxQbzC8T8

I don't know about a Wraith. Not sure it'd net you much if any D.

A Tern is a good suggestion. You'll definitely net D from a Star or a Champ (I'd start with Star). An alternative that flies similarly is a mid-160s Lace. That was my first distance driver, and it's still my bomber.

I'm around the same power/distance bracket and throw FH as well. Left handed is the only difference.

I've thrown the Katana, not a fan
The Lace, big fan at first, but beat in quickly and dramatically changed flight path. Maybe just too many trees?

And the Tern. IMO, still a bit too OS for my arm speed, but I keep it in the bag for windy days.

One disc that I really feel is in the appropriate power bracket, maybe almost too US, is last years Ace Race disc. What I believe is now called the HEAT? Flips up, big HS turn, and a striaght/forward penetrating fade. I can see this getting too US with more wear, or a headwind, but for new/mildy worn, I think this disc is the perfect combo for a slower arm speed

***I haven't tried the production version of the Ace Race disc...not sure if they changed the mold compared to the two that I've been throwing.

How about a star plastic beast? Its a speed of 10 but man its got a great flight. The Sidewinder or Valkyrie may also give you good options. All Innova plastic for ease of aquiring and can be tried out for cheap in DX plastic to see if you like it before you go into premium options.