• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My budget tone pole

weaktit

Birdie Member
Just stumbled on this around my house.
I had a few 5gallon water jugs laying around and noticed they have a decent tone when thwacked. Then i found an old piece of 2" PVC pipe which, low and behold, fits firmly over the neck of the bottle. Voila, tone pole! I basically hammered a pipe into the ground that I insulated and taped to create the right diameter to slide the tone pole over - provides the slightest amount of give but keeps the pole solidly upright. I doubt you can hear it from very far but it has a distinct sound, different from the PVC pipe. I see some potential for a lighted target but I'm not yet sure how to go about it.

The old and the new.
oldnewpins.jpg

aquatone.jpg

aquatoneparts.jpg

aquatonex.jpg

I was so impressed with myself that I had to create my own thread to blow smoke up my ass:p

That's a great idea. I know it's supposed to be a tone pole, but have you thought about cutting out the sweet spot to make it catch "good" putts?

That's a great idea. I know it's supposed to be a tone pole, but have you thought about cutting out the sweet spot to make it catch "good" putts?

It's awful small at ~10"x16" but I suppose you could do it. I've noticed that holes or cuts don't mess too much with the sound.

I'm actually digging the tone pole idea. I want to make a temp. course on some vacation property. Now I'm thinking any type of bottle like that could work.

What about something like this?
55_gallon_closed_top_blue_large1.jpg

I kept hitting one of these in my parents yard as I was playing catch. It made a nice thunk sound when it was hit. It might also work well with internal lighting.