• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My first round(s) in 5 months

Jabumbo

Par Member
So after having knee surgery back in August, I had to take some significant time off during arguably the best time of year to play. Last week I was sent out of town for work and really had the desire to get back to it and play some rounds with all new courses to choose from.

I managed to play two rounds over the week at fairly moderate courses, chosen for their more manageable terrain and short par 3 style holes. What I discovered was that in my time off I lost most of my touch and accuracy and needed a few days after to fully recover physically.

In the end though, while my scores were pretty forgettable, I was very happy to finish a few rounds at all. Big up go to crusadersounds for appeasing my need for a less exciting course and getting me to play in the cold!

So now that I am past the initial reinjury fear of a first round, how do I get myself back to prime shape for the summer season? Has anyone else made the comeback from a long layoff?

I am hoping my therapy starts letting me get more cardio in soon so that can take care of itself but warming up the arm for more bombs will be a little tougher!

I'm getting ready to play my first round (9 holes) on two feet in about 6 months. I've tried throwing a couple times from a standstill, I've even attempted an x step a couple times, I'm ready to go. All I need now is a day that I don't have anything to do so I can play 9 holes then spend the rest of the day recovering..

Welcome back guys. I am going to recommend a slow and steady approach. As you gain strength and confidence in the newly repaired body part, you put many others at risk. Often we will use compensatory movements and adjustments to our game to overcome fear, pain or mobility changes. This can put considerable stess on body parts not really designed to bear the stress. Work out to get back into shape and move your game along at a smart pace. Don't forget to maintain your physical therapy program, I am assuming you both were subject to and remember to stretch. Good luck and watch the ice.

While not the same injury/surgery/recovery I had a 4 month layoff after rotator cuff surgery last year. So I offer 2 pieces of advice.

First and foremost, get a good physical therapist. Make sure the therapist knows and understands your devotion to this sport and the particular demands disc golf has on the body. And follow their advice like gospel. Be their model patient.

Second, once the therapist gives you the go ahead, start off slow and small. It does sound like you got the slow thing down. But think small by throwing standing still throwing from the short tees. This will help with getting the timing down for the crucial upshot and approaches while working from shorter distances.

Just my $0.02.

Good luck and a speedy recovery.

Welcome back guys. I am going to recommend a slow and steady approach. As you gain strength and confidence in the newly repaired body part, you put many others at risk. Often we will use compensatory movements and adjustments to our game to overcome fear, pain or mobility changes. This can put considerable stess on body parts not really designed to bear the stress. Work out to get back into shape and move your game along at a smart pace. Don't forget to maintain your physical therapy program, I am assuming you both were subject to and remember to stretch. Good luck and watch the ice.

This is what has always worried me. I was more or less limited to prone throws for that first round and so my arm was extra tired just from trying to muscle through tee shots.

Here's to hoping the winter stays as is and limits the precipitation. I can work with the cold if I don't have to worry about sliding on the ice and snow!

Good to see that you're getting back at it, Martin!

While not the same injury/surgery/recovery I had a 4 month layoff after rotator cuff surgery last year. So I offer 2 pieces of advice.

First and foremost, get a good physical therapist. Make sure the therapist knows and understands your devotion to this sport and the particular demands disc golf has on the body. And follow their advice like gospel. Be their model patient.

Second, once the therapist gives you the go ahead, start off slow and small. It does sound like you got the slow thing down. But think small by throwing standing still throwing from the short tees. This will help with getting the timing down for the crucial upshot and approaches while working from shorter distances.

Just my $0.02.

Good luck and a speedy recovery.

This.

I've gone down this road twice, with shoulder surgery and knee surgery. Obviously, the shoulder, being my throwing shoulder, require a much gentler return than my knee. I'm not one to work out or follow a regimen, but I followed the therapy with complete devotion. I didn't want to go through that surgery ever again.

A compression sleeve on your injured leg would be a good idea as well. I have a round 3lb weight I use to strengthen my bad elbow. I lay on my left side and lift the weight towards the ceiling, uncoiling the arm as it raises. This may help you recover some of that missing arm strength a little quicker.

I've had to take 4 Dg breaks. Once for tendinitis, a torn tricep, and a torn forearm muscle all because I was playing to much with incorrect form. I came back to soon and reagrivated my injury only to miss another 4 months. Then I broke my big toe and pinkie toe on two different occasions that had me sidelined for a bit.

I learned three things. 1.) don't rush back. The make up time is ridiculous on a re-injury.
2.) Take it easy when you get back.
3.) Practice form. Watch videos, start a form thread, and listen to sidewinder(amongst others).

Good luck and stay safe. Living with pain for the rest of your life is not worth rushing back from an injury. I will have to live with arthritis in my big toe for the rest of my life. It's a bitch and could have possibly been avoided.

Today was a 40 degrees and sunny one so I managed to get a casual round in with a friend and my usual course. Its a par 54 with only 1 hole that you can't really drive the basket so its just about right. I was able to do a very basic tee shot with just one step and it felt pretty comfortable. Definitely still need the brace but I was more or less pain free. Plus, got my first birdie(s) in 6 months!

I threw some holes today! My first time on 2 feet in nearly 6 months. Played 6 holes, the 6 shortest holes from the shortest tees with just a wizard, didn't get a single bird and finished with 3 bogies on my last 3 holes. I tried a runup on the last 2 holes, the first one felt really awkward, but ended up with a really nice shot right down the tunnel. The second one was very awkward and I slipped - didn't hurt myself, but definitely saw the potential, I don't think I'm going to try the snowy runup any more. I tried another drive with a runup off the pavement, the white tee of hole 1, it felt much better and it was perfect, hit the gap, probably left myself a 40' putt or so, but I didn't even go get it, I'll pick it up tomorrow when I play all 11 holes then spend the rest of the day watching football :D

@Martin: I remember playing basketball when I was in the Navy from 93-97 and the worst thing that could have happened, did happen. Most of us knew how to play but there was a handful that did not know how to play, which is how I jacked my ankle up. I was going up for an easy lay-up when a person from the other team went WWE on me and cross body blocked me from behind. I could either land funny or hit my head on the post, I chose the first and my ankle was gimpy for at least 6 months. Couldn't play down low in the paint without my ankle giving on me. It wasn't until about a year and almost 6 months passed before I could get my game going as normal.

Just be careful when you play because of all the moving parts. You don't want to re-injure yourself, because that puts doubt in your mind, which is why it took me sooooooooooo long to get back to playing basketball.

I think you are your best gauge of your injury, Martin. I don't know why it took me 1.5 years to get back on the basketball courts. I think it was because the group lets players who don't know how to play, play. And I wasn't going to risk injuring it again, so I just started away. Lucky for me, I had shipmate that knee a perfect place to play, where everyone knew how to play and I didn't have to worry at all about the injury. I was allowed to take it easy in these games when needed, and that helped a bunch.

I had ACL surgery two years ago and had to take a lot of time off. I think I did about four months of no playing at all, then a month or two of primarily forehand (right knee surgery, RHBH player) playing. I was pretty bad for a long, long time. The first six months after I started playing again cost me about 30 points off my rating.

My only advice would be not get too worked up about it. You're going to suck for a while. Don't get frustrated, don't push yourself too much. Remember, your knee is your #1 priority, not your golf game. If you tweak it during a round, quit playing.

I took a day off today, after playing 11 holes a day for 5 days in a row. Tomorrow I plan on playing the winter carnival, 28 holes. I will play as much of it as I can on 2 feet, but I will bring my iWalk and expect to switch to it sometime during the round, or maybe I'll be able to walk the entire thing, we'll see. So far things have been going well :)