• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Player With Too Many Discs!

maJsty14

Hey everyone. I started playing last summer and had a ball, but find myself in a tricky spot. I have through finds, gifts, and acquisitions ended up with a hefty stable of discs, but am really unhappy with my ability to throw all but one of them.

I'm def a noodle arm, and spent a lot of time in a field working on form last year, but I'm finding that I'm just overwhelmed by the number of molds I have and would love some pointers on narrowing down my bag to three or four discs so I can focus on my form and having fun instead of chasing the perfect mold. Here's what I've got:

- dx cobra 165
My favorite disc. I love throwing it. I love watching the beautiful s flight. I can consistently throw it further than everything else (about 200' to 220'). It's beat in pretty hard, so I'll probably grab another one soon.

- dx shark 161
Got it when I got the cobra . . . don't like how it feels or what I can do with it. 180' max, not accurate in my hand.

- dx roc 164
Got it because everyone online raved about it and it looked like the next logical step from a cobra (beginner disc?). Like it more than the shark, but it always falls short of the cobra. Less accuracy than cobra but more than shark.

- star mako3 168
Given to me, haven't used it a ton but so far it goes straight for me but not far.

- champ leopard 171
Turns and burns pretty hard, sometimes I can just get it to 200', but it's rare. I honestly just feel like I don't have the strength to power this disc.

- champ destroyer, not sure weight
Haha, I don't touch this thing - it's a disaster for me.

As for putters I have high to max weight classic judge, classic warden, wizard ss, focus d, and just found an unmarked dx aviar p&a two days ago. I like the warden pretty well, but wonder if the beaded judge would be better for more shots.

I've tried and liked a panther (star? champ?), but I'm wanting to go with few molds and learn to throw multiple ways, and it seems like panther isn't a versatile disc for that style? Honestly, that's my thought on the cobra too, which is why I got the roc last fall, but I just really dig the cobra. My goal isn't to be a pro, or even amazing - I just want to have fun playing with friends and keep up as well as I can considering they can launch their discs 300' to 350' and I simply can't.

tl;dr - I'm a beginner player with a lot of discs drowning in decision paralysis and want to narrow down my bag to three or four molds. Also, my favorite mold (cobra) is unpopular which fills me with doubt.

Go cobra, mako3 and leopard. Warden also. The cobra will continue to beat in and get even more understable. Mako3 will keep its flight a long time. Leopard is a good first driver. I only said warden because you mention you like it.

Keep at it man. Don't go crazy with the form videos. Stick to basics and get comfortable. Reach back straight, keep the disc close to your chest and follow through. Would also suggest trying to forehand the leopard and mako, a good shot to have going forward.

Best thing to do is to load about five or ten of them up at a time and go to a field and throw them. If there is a tree around or object you can aim at the better. Then find which discs you can consistently throw where you aim it. They don't need to go that far but find one you can trust to fade, one to turn, and one that goes straight and lands fairly straight. Find or buy a basket and see which putter feels best and you can make the most putts with. That should be your bag.

As you get better you'll be able to bring in and change the discs after field testing them and getting comfortable with how you throw them. One thing most agree with is you can never have too many discs. :)

You're doing some major things wrong if 200' is a decent throw after a bit of practice. Choosing discs makes more sense after learning to throw, not before. You can learn to throw with anything, but relatively neutral discs like the Cobra or Roc or Shark are all easier to control, thus less frustrating. If you figure out what your biggest flaws are, you will be able to throw 250' casually and pretty accurately with all of those midrange discs, then you can start making decisions based on flight, handfeel, etc.

If you choose discs that give you the best results now, without gaining some competence first, you'll develop skill more slowly as your lousy form is rewarded. That was sure my experience.

The single least important factor is popularity. There are no bona fide golf discs that aren't suitable for use.

Take all of your putters and go play with them. Your putter gets the most usage, so find one that feels good for actual putting. And after you decide on that, try throwing it from like 100 feet or so. Maybe you like how it feels on approaches, maybe not. For me, my putter is only a putter, I don't throw upshots with my rattler, but that's also why I have a zone and a sol. So perhaps you'll find that you like putting with one type that you don't particularly like for throwing.
Once you figure out those 1-2 discs, I'd keep the cobra since you like it. Cobra's a nice disc, and the key is that it's your favorite disc. The more you can get to know a particular disc, the more you'll be able to do with it. I liked the shark better than the cobra because when I was learning, I liked that the shark flew straight and then had a reasonable fade to it at the end, which helped me aim better, but that was me.

I also agree with Seth that you should keep the mako3. Few discs will give you confidence like that one. It flies straight. Really straight. And if your other mid is a cobra, this will help you when you need to make that laser straight shot.

If you have to have a driver of sorts, keep the leopard (again, like Seth said). You might be trying to overpower your disc and OATing it into the ground. It's possible that the disc is so beat that it turns and burns, but often what happens is when a newer player sees a longer throw and reaches for a faster disc, form goes to crap. Pretend you're throwing your cobra and give the leopard a toss.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Form, and i mean the basics, is much more important then the discs you are choosing right now, within reason (I'm looking at your, support flippy discraft heat! Haha). I know this because i was there and still am to a certain degree. I did everything wrong, and have had to go back to the basics.

Make sure you have a good power grip with the disc at the proper angle in your hand, everything else doesn't matter if you don't.

Then work on shifting your weight (hammer drill) and driving you elbow (to prevent collapsing your shoulder).

Those were my AHA! Moments. After that it's been about keeping myself consistent and building off of those things.

Go cobra, mako3 and leopard. Warden also. The cobra will continue to beat in and get even more understable. Mako3 will keep its flight a long time. Leopard is a good first driver. I only said warden because you mention you like it.

Keep at it man. Don't go crazy with the form videos. Stick to basics and get comfortable. Reach back straight, keep the disc close to your chest and follow through. Would also suggest trying to forehand the leopard and mako, a good shot to have going forward.

Very well said, all of it!

Just one thing I like to add concerning the form, which makes a huge difference if you do it wrong (I know from own experience): keep the hand on the outside of the disc. (And maybe start with a standstill throw.)

Take a read through this thread, it might help you.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

Find a putter that feels good and isn't understable
Pick one mid you like, if it's beat, just add a fresh one of the same mold
and pick one slow speed stable driver

As a first driver, I'm going to buck the trend and say skip the Leopard. Try a DX Cheetah, far more forgiving, easier to control than a leopard and they beat in really nice. Leopards actually take some finesse, especially DX ones.

throwing too many different types of disc in the beginning isn't doing you any favors, you have nothing to judge your progress against. Once you're able to throw a few discs consistently, you'll be able to make informed decisions down the road as to what you actually need versus guess work and the endless disc advice of others.

Oh, and welcome to the game!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think the article Keller posted really outlines the approach to the game I hope to take (being able to shape lots of shots with fewer molds).

Anyway, after some field work and a few holes this evening (second time out this year) I'm painfully aware that my fundamentals are lacking . . . the mako3 and the warden consistently went to the right . . . far to the right . . . no lasers here!

Kinda damning proof that it isn't the discs, it's 100% me, so instead of overthinking it maybe I'll just grab the focus d
and dx roc (both recommended in the article and two discs I already own) and work on my ability to get the darned things to do what I want.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think the article Keller posted really outlines the approach to the game I hope to take (being able to shape lots of shots with fewer molds).

Anyway, after some field work and a few holes this evening (second time out this year) I'm painfully aware that my fundamentals are lacking . . . the mako3 and the warden consistently went to the right . . . far to the right . . . no lasers here!

Kinda damning proof that it isn't the discs, it's 100% me, so instead of overthinking it maybe I'll just grab the focus d
and dx roc (both recommended in the article and two discs I already own) and work on my ability to get the darned things to do what I want.

The Focus/Roc combo seems like a very good combo (I throw a Cryztal Focus and put X Softs, and used to throw Rocs). The only form related advice I have, is maybe you're not gripping the disc hard enough, or are gripping it too tight.

Are you left or right handed?

On the one hand, I agree you need to work on form. On the other, learning your discs and adapting them to your improving arm is an important factor as a new player. Keep using that Cobra, and I'd say focus on the Roc for now. You'll grow into that Mako3, but don't expect it to be amazing for a while. Use that Leopard as your max distance or even "overstable utility" disc. It will become an amazing disc as 1) it beats in, and 2) your form gets better.

Instead of getting rid of discs, though, I'd recommend keeping all in your bag for casual rounds. Try different shots with different discs, and see how the discs (and your skills) can surprise you. Also, make sure to experiment with other throwing styles. Especially forehand and backhand on different angles/lines, but don't forget overhands, turbo putts, and anything that might become useful on the course.

And... have fun!

Latest posts