• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Season, New Goals?

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So last night I told my wife that 2019 was the year of me not buying new discs, and not two hours later, I had purchased three more (don't worry, she knows already!)

But it got me thinking about what I am hoping to accomplish this season. It's still cold and sometimes snowy here in PA--and for the last five months I've been playing platform tennis instead-- but now that that season has ended, I'm ready for a new season of disc golf.
I got myself some new shoes and a few new discs, because, you know, well, I just had to.

And so I figure if I write these goals down, maybe by fall, I can look back and see if I made any progress on them.

Goal 1: Temper my erratic backhands. I know it comes down to form, so I am going to kick of the season with stand-still backhands until I get the weight shift and motion sync'd a little better. It was frustrating to spend one week learning a forehand and seeing them suddenly outdrive my backhand by 50 feet with much better accuracy.

Goal 2: Thinking of the last part there, I am considering rolling with the hot hand so to speak and switching my game to predominantly RHFH.

Goal 3: I've thrown +1 on my home course many times but I just can't get over (under?) that hump. This year I'll record a negative round there.

Goal 4: I want to play at least 4 new courses that I've never played before this summer.

How about you guys? Do you have anything you really want to accomplish in this 2019 season?

This year is going to be an off year for tournaments. I played so many in the past two years qualifying and playing in Am Worlds. I hit my ratings goal and also qualified for the Semifinals at Am worlds last year.

-This year I plan on really working on course management and playing to my strengths. In the past I always went to a course with the Idea that I need to attack almost everything. That has gotten me into trouble a lot lately and I mess up great rounds with just 1 or 2 bad holes. My distance has fallen off as well and I think it has something to do with me gaining wait and being less in shape.... so to the gym we go!
-I hit my 100 courses last year and would like to get up to 120 this year.
-ratings goal is now 950. So only 20 points to go. With not as many tournaments this year its going to be hard.

Slow my backhand form way down and throw smooth. I started to focus on that before the 7 months of rain we have had made everything a swamp and was seeing great results.

Don't change my bag around (too much). Throw what's in it and become more reliant on release angles, and distance control to score well.

Beat my friend Bobby. He is pretty good, and I can hang with him for a while but he just seems to pull away every time. I know I can beat him, I just have to focus more.

2019 Goals

I have several goals for this year...

1. Take some lessons from a local pro...

2. Practice, practice, practice...

3. Travel to play some great new courses to me, currently on the agenda for 2019: Nockamixon, Muddy Run, Tyler East/West, Iron Hill, Huck It & Hillcrest (Prince Edward Island), Sabattus, Bittersweet Ridge, Ackers Acres, Toronto Island...

4. Travel to play some favorite courses: Deer Lakes & Moraine

5. Attend two pro events as a spectator; this year it will be Worlds in Peoria and Green Mountain in Vermont...

I have a few;

Play in 10+ events, one down so far.
Play 10 new courses, also one down. I've been stuck on 7 new for the past 3 years after doing around 15-29 per year for the two before that.
Would like to end up with more consistency, after playing with a bunch of 940-975 rated players I've seen I've got the skills to hang, but need more comfort and consistency to be better than that. So that is my big goal.

I want to try to figure out how good I actually am so that I've got a baseline to use as I try to improve. I played my first tournament over Thanksgiving weekend, and played like crap largely from first tourney jitters. Shot an 838, which is way lower than the rating of players that I usually play relatively equal with. So this year I want to play more tourneys and join a local league so that:
a) I can get a larger sample size for my rating and
b) get used to the pressure of playing rated rounds.
So by the end of 2019 I should have a rating that actually reflects my playing ability. I'm trying not to place an expectation on a specific ratings number, but I honestly I think I'll be disappointed if I'm not at least rated 880+. I play with guys that are all 880 and over and I typically score similar to them. So it'd be nice if my rating reflected that. be even if not, I feel like I should know what type of player I am by the end of 2019.

I won a pretty big MA2 (LSO) tourney last year and got my rating to 934. Although I didn't have any specific goals, I am pretty happy with that. I also kept my bag pretty much the same all year, which is not the normal. Helped out (albeit not very much) in getting a new course in/cleaned up.

This year, I'd like to:
- [get a job after grad school this spring....]
- play in 5-6 (MA1 sanctioned) tourneys
- finish top 5 in at least one
- get to 945 (but 950 is what I really want..)
- keep my bag the same all year (sig set up)
- get out to league at least twice a month
- give back (volunteer, course clean up, etc)
- practice putting every day!
- lease my dog...

I'm sure there are more. But it's a start!

Join a League
Play in 5 tournaments
Record my first round at +0 or lower
Solidify my disc lineup

Fix my mental game. I've focused on form too much and keep those thoughts during my throws. My scores have gotten much worse. Time to trust my form, be decisive and focus on the target.

1. wake up everyday

2. play 2 rounds every week

3. practice putting/shots within 150' twice weekly

4. find a job that is not overly physical so i am not to tired to play (less than 2 yrs to go to full time retirement)

5. keep my average score on my home course within 1 stroke of my son. he has reached a point where he needs a bit more
competition to inspire him.

6. wake up everyday.

Mine is to get back to basics because it seems that I have lost something to my drive and need to get it back.Also like most people need to work on putting

Latest posts