• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

new sidearm discs

pzacch05

Par Member
i have played disc golf nearly everyday for three months and i am looking to trade in my beginner esk discs for new discs suitable for a more experianced player. i throw rhfh and lhbh almost equally well however i throw mainly sidearm and get a little for distance and control. i currently have a champion/dx beast, an avenger ss, a dx wraith, an archangel (roller), a dx leopard, dx shark, and a birdie. i like my putter, but i was wondering besides stepping up the weight what discs are suitable for a primarily sidearm player.

If you want to be a FH dominant player, I would say try to be able to use the same discs FH that you would BH. That being said, the Teebird might be the easiest to do both with straight. Firebirds or Preds are popular for hyzers and I wouldnt count out a Leopard for turnovers even FH.

Depends really on what you want it to do, the same as backhand. Otherwise, "good FH disc" to go on is kind of vague.

Predator is my favorite fh disc.

Why do so many lefty's throw RHFH and LHBH?! Incredible....

How far do you throw? Are your Beasts and Avenger SS turning over on you when you throw forehands (turning left with a RHFH)?

Some of the discs I throw forehand are: Champ teebird for straight line shots; Z Predator for predictable fade shots; FLX Drone for shorter, controlled forehands with a predictable fade.

Don't be weak, throw a Star Destroyer. Flatter=Better

Star Destroyers are pretty nice. However, if a player who just started 3 months ago were to use one regularly, they would be OAT'ing throws for years to come.

Solution: get a Teebird and learn how to throw a disc straight.

I started Forehand dominant a little over a year and a half ago. I started with a Wraith and moved up to a Destroyer and finally I'm at a Boss for my flicks. I prefer something extremely stable so that I know it's going to come back, I have a pretty strong arm as I have a 12 year background in baseball. The stronger your arm and the faster your snap is the more stable of a disc you're going to want to have at least in my opinion.

I throw both forehand and backhand. My Champion Valkryie 150 is one of my go-to drivers for both directions. Unlike a lot of discs I have tried, I get realitively the same flight path and distance no matter which direction I throw it. I just got a new Avenger SS ESP 164 in the mail and threw it a few times today -- I like that disc. It is very stable and holds a nice line however you throw it. I would definitely suggest either of these discs as good forehand options. I bought lots of discs (mainly Innovas) trying to find a good RHFH disc, but couldn't seem to get something I really liked throwing; that is, until I got the Valk.

Garret

Last edited:
ROC FOR MID and WHIPPET FOR FAIRWAY AND A BOSS!!!!ANY REALLY HIGH SPEED THAT CAN HANDLE THE TORQUE A SIDEARM GIVES YOU

Nice to see more lefties on here. :)

I throw FH quite a bit and my go to disc is a champ destroyer. Asia Open disc is tough as nails and takes hard hits well.

I also use a glo wraith and a star x-cal as well.

i have played disc golf nearly everyday for three months and i am looking to trade in my beginner esk discs for new discs suitable for a more experianced player. i throw rhfh and lhbh almost equally well however i throw mainly sidearm and get a little for distance and control. i currently have a champion/dx beast, an avenger ss, a dx wraith, an archangel (roller), a dx leopard, dx shark, and a birdie. i like my putter, but i was wondering besides stepping up the weight what discs are suitable for a primarily sidearm player.

as a decade long FH thrower, ... beast :thmbdown: , avenger :thmbdown: , wraith (until you get max body control in your technique) :thmbdown:, acrchangel ( again how refined is your technique, this disc can be squirrelley):confused:, leopard:thmbup: , shark (good for you), birdie, really?

disc down, get a FLX XL and a Z wildcat ... that will put all your driving into one little bit, keep the leopard and the shark, very good discs.... birdie to dart or magnet... maybe a wizard... not trying to tell you what to do .... but

Nice to see more lefties on here. :)

I throw FH quite a bit and my go to disc is a champ destroyer.

:hfive: love my tie dye destroyer... have to have the technique to throw it though.... sidearm forgotten disc = ORC... (champion plastic only star is too overstable and dx is dx)...

Flatter=Better

^^^^^Just picked up some 11x Champ Firebirds, and all I was doing last round was hucking them FH. They were awesome. I am only recently focusing on FH drives, but these gave me instant improvements.