• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie trying to learn the right way before making bad habits

zable

So I started to play this sport about 3 months ago and got hooked instantly.
My mentality is as the title says, to try to learn the correct way before the body and mind incorporates the wrong habits, thus making it harder in the long run.

I'm throwing consistently 280-330 feet ( think i got it right, I'm from Sweden, metrics guy:doh: ) I feel like I can't throw distance drivers yet, they don't go any further then a disc below 10 in speed.

I feel like i have swooped the whole youtube scene with all different technics and that have just made me overthink my backhand and now Im lost.
Spontaneously I feel like I'm stiff as hell in my hips, not getting any snap in my throw and the brace/plant is too ''weak'', also feels like I'm often getting stuck after the throw and can't follow through with my back leg and the brace leg is not rotating(not happening on the videos though).
Il upload three clips, looking forward for the roasting:popcorn:

Halla!

So I started to play this sport about 3 months ago and got hooked instantly.
My mentality is as the title says, to try to learn the correct way before the body and mind incorporates the wrong habits, thus making it harder in the long run.

Beware, this journey is deeper than you can possible imagine. But it has been worth it for me. Make sure you read the PSA at the top of the forum if you haven't. Your x-step looks like the average beginner form who looks at pros trying to copy them but who hasn't learned how to fundamentally move.

You already have 3 months of habits and many of them are killing your swing.

1. What are your goals? A better swing is fine, but I always ask.

2. I'll never dictate whether people x-step, but good mechanics are hard enough to learn that just starting to build a good standstill is invaluable and makes learning the x-step easier. Think of the x-step as a standstill that you walk, run, or hop into.

This is my standstill one year ago today. Weak, inconsistent, and almost ruined my knees. X-step had all the same problems:
Onestep throws.

Here's what I was working on today. Imperfect, but effortless, more powerful, and painless. Notice how slow I move relative to how fast the disc comes out:

I had some physical issues and throwing breaks over that time but it has come a long way with hard work.

People without extreme physical advantages here have learned to throw putters more than 300' and drivers more than 400' from standstills just for reference.

If you work on an x-step, I'd personally recommend you spend at least as much time on standstills starting out. The x-step adds its own issues so YMMV.

3. Form advice: Listen to sidewinder22 whenever he weighs in. He knows what he's talking about. Others will give you good advice but he has a hard-earned eye and understanding of the mechancs. He's seabas22 on youtube.

You are landing behind your plant step and your front side opens up early behind the brace.

You need to learn to crush the can and get comfortable landing with all your weight over the front foot and resting collapse into the ground to lead your swing:

And work on this transition into that action:

To do those, you should focus on how to "shift from behind" into the plant. Disc golf and golf standstill mechanics are very similar. This is still one of the best videos I've ever watched about it. Take the time watch it and then to do that little weight shift drill he shows at 1:45. Over and over and over again. Notice that this is part of how the buttwipe works:

You will need to get used to swinging and throwing stacked on the front leg:

Some of my mechanics have improved since this video but it summarizes many of the takeaways of using learning aids like hammers to build a more powerful swing:

Look at older examples of pros. Notice they were all crushing with very raw swings, and we didn't see what they looked like when they first started. You unfortunately can't skip ahead to the final form :)